Ibrox Register

trafficlight

It has the makings of a very good partnership. It's the tinkering around that worries me,what was the plan in defence today?

we changed between a back four and a back five. thinking about it we lost 4 with the back 4 and 2 with the back 5 but one of them was a breakaway from our corner (very similar to hibs). we looked more likely to concede with the back 4 but we didn't compete with either formation.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pundits on BBC Scotland were more convinced we were running with a 3-4-2-1 formation. It was almost impossible to read at times due to Hammell and Yassin going from left and right mid repectively to left and right back with Reynolds, Hutch, and Saunders inbetween them. Jennings still looks a bit slow I think.

Bill, I see the point you are trying to make but 1-0 and 3-2 is a bit better than 6-1.

It was a real going over, no doubt about that. Never seen it coming at half time though, as for all they lead 1-0 they hadn't done much since the goal. Not that we were any great shakes, but at 1-0 you still have a chance and they weren't looking too dangerous.

The second forty five was nightmarish at times. We were overrun in midfield and under real pressure at the back. We simply couldn't cope with their pace and movement and allowed them too much space to play. They worked harder than us to win the ball back which is hugely disappointing, perhaps we need to press and harry a bit more?

We seem happy to play the ball across the defence, but this only serves to allow the opposition to play a higher line and press the ball near our goal. If we keep conceding possession in our own half the pressure will ultimately tell, and this certainly happened in this game.

Now is not the time for knee-jerk reactions, and even though we've not won in six we're still fifth! I'm looking for a reaction from the lads at the St Johnstone game, we really could do with a win and an improved showing to give us fans a boost and raise the confidence in the team.

This game is in the past, bring on boxing day!

the scoreline today was embarrassing but there were a couple of decent performances. Again Murphy and Jutkiewicz played alright together and I thought Hutch had a decent game. He seemed to be the only one willing to put in a tackle. That, for me, is more frustrating than our passing about the back 4. We havent really lost any goals from that but constantly backing off the opposition is costing us dearly. If we sorted that out we'd stop leaking goals like we did today. Even shutting the opposition down in their own half would help as long balls over the top keep catching us out.

Outwith the 3 centre backs we had today (Hutch, Reynolds, Saunders) the other "defensive" players let us down big time. Hammell and Moutouakil were dreadful, both going forward and at the back, constantly out of position. Hateley also flatters to deceive, he couldnt deal with the balls being thrown at him at all today, and in the last two games (celtic/hibs) he's been muscled off the ball leading to us conceding goals, and never closes his man down. Sadly we dont have the strength in depth to just put these guys on the bench for a bit and as a result they keep making the same mistakes week after week.

The folk saying Hutch had a good game must be blind. Wrong sided so many times and Beasley constantly made him/Reynolds/Hammell look silly. Lacking match sharpness cost us dearly, thats why he was pumped out to left back. In the first half I thought Saunders was our standout player, the second half was dire.

WHY THE FUCK DOES NO ONE WANT TO GO ON A FUCKING RUN. FFS. The whole passing routine is shite. FOr the first 60 minutes Jennings was the only player to play a useful forward pass.

Hateley had his worst game today, should have been hooked.

O'Brien would have made a difference today, no doubting that.

Majid Bougherra is a c**t, Far too good for the SPL.

Outwith the 3 centre backs we had today (Hutch, Reynolds, Saunders) the other "defensive" players let us down big time. Hammell and Moutouakil were dreadful, both going forward and at the back, constantly out of position.

If you honestly believe this then you should refrain from commenting on the game.

If you honestly believe this then you should refrain from commenting on the game.

are you fuckin kidding? why do you think rangers had so much space on the wings then? Fair enough we've been through all the stuff about "where is Gannon telling yassin to play" but seriously, they were firing balls down the flanks all afternoon before cutting in and playing the ball across the face of goal, the reason they had so much room to do so is cos yas and hammell were nowhere to be seen.

are you fuckin kidding? why do you think rangers had so much space on the wings then? Fair enough we've been through all the stuff about "where is Gannon telling yassin to play" but seriously, they were firing balls down the flanks all afternoon before cutting in and playing the ball across the face of goal, the reason they had so much room to do so is cos yas and hammell were nowhere to be seen.

Naw, i'm no kidding. There is not one player in our team who closed the opposition down until they encroached on our box. So were they all out of position?

Gannon set his team out wrong. He needs to realise you can't play like you are in the English league up here. He can't expect our players, espescially the forwards, to get all the time in the world so why does he treat the opposition as such?

Also, Hammell was definately playing in midfield today.

we didnt have a left side of midfield today, thats one of the contributing factors to us getting pummelled. And the being out of position and failure to shut players down are not linked, hammell and yas just seemed to be shite at noth of them at the same time today. every player in claret and amber was guilty of not shutting down though, hence we got horsed.

I'm struggling to say for sure but every goal came from our left/their right. Yassin had some moments of poor control and poor positioning but yesterday the left side of defence was unbelievably bad. The number of times Beasley picked the ball up and Hammell was in a different time zone was disgraceful. He wandered inside and forwards but seldom where he should have been! Its nice for Hammell/Yass to get forward however their first job is to defend. Reynolds positioning wasn't great at left back until they switched round but at least he normally recovered.

We seem happy to play the ball across the defence, but this only serves to allow the opposition to play a higher line and press the ball near our goal. If we keep conceding possession in our own half the pressure will ultimately tell, and this certainly happened in this game.
We get away with it to a certain extent when we play against the so called weaker teams but against Hibs ,Celtic and Rangers in the last three games we've been done over big time. I like Gannons football from the back ,no just a big punt up the park philosophy but were just not good enough and experienced enough to play that way all the time.

I'm gonna take some stick on Monday when I go back to work. But i like a few others are going to have to say we were lucky. It should have been 6 at half time. Miller's goal was a fucking peach and Rangers, although not the greatest football team, worked hard for each other and gave us no time on the ball. They actually impressed me yesterday.

As for Motherwelll..........well we were absolutely rank yesterday. I can't think of any positives apart from Hutch coming back yesterday although it wasn't his greatest performance he did show us his danger at set pieces. As has been said before next week is must win and we will win. This will emabarrass the players and they will come out next week with a point to prove. We are still fifth in the league and we have a good platform to turn this around. Look at last season we were 11th in the league on the same points as Accies who were bottom of the league and good form got us to 7th and well clear of 8th. So if we can replicate that form from 5th then the possibilities are great. Yes today hurt and alot of people including Gannon need to take a hard look at himself. But he too will be hurting badly and will get his finger out. Mon the well !!!

No shape

No desire

No passion

Hammell is not a midfielder

Too many inexperienced boys in the team

Hutch & Saunders gave up

A disgrace to the jersey, every one of them.

Someone mentioned that Reynolds had a good game??? 4/5 of the goals camde from the left hand side.

Craigan might not be to everybody's taste but we wouldn't have shipped six if he was in the team.

No shape

No desire

No passion

Hammell is not a midfielder

Too many inexperienced boys in the team

Hutch & Saunders gave up

A disgrace to the jersey, every one of them.

Someone mentioned that Reynolds had a good game??? 4/5 of the goals camde from the left hand side.

Craigan might not be to everybody's taste but we wouldn't have shipped six if he was in the team.

Have you forgotten that at the start of the season we were conceding more goals in the team with Craigan in the team than out of it?

Chic Young just on Radio Scotland saying he was disappointed yesterday with Motherwell and that he believes that having the OF back to back is the reason for the heavy defeat.

I have noticed that this "lack of luck from the computer" happens to us and Killie pretty much every season.

Chic......away ye go ya clown :lol:

Yep pretty awfull yesterday and in truth we've been pants our last 3 games. Time for Gannon to stop his daft [the refs could cost CELTIC the title} pish and get it sorted out on the training pitch. We're still 5th and top 6 is still on but we need boys to become men in our team now. :lol:

We lost 5-0 a few seasons ago.

Or was that at Parkhead, cannie mind :doh:

:(

We lost 5-0 at Parkhead in October 2005.

'Gubbings' like yesterday against Rangers have actually been few and far between over the last few years despite our poor record against them. We lost 6-2 at Ibrox in March 2000 having been 1-0 up and were beaten 5-1 at Fir Park exactly ten years ago and of course were hammered in the CIS Cup final in 05. Recent defeats have been much closer though which has made it more frustrating in a way.

I remember that 6-2 game well. Benny Kemble opened the scoring for us with a bullet header, and just before half-time at 2-4 we were denied an absolute stonewaller of a penalty which could've made it 3-4 and very interesting after the break....

Knowing our record at Ibrox we would either have missed the penalty or simply made the final score 6-3.

See the more I think about it, the penalty was denied at 2-3 and not 2-4. Going in 3-3 at the break would have been a world of a difference and the game was such we could've caused damage that day. Thought I'd dig up the detail, sure we pulled it back to 2-3 then broke forward and should've had the chance for 3-3. No pen, and up the park they went with Baldy Rowbotham clearly in no forgiving mood for us delaying the 9-in-a-row party...

Rangers 6(4) - 2 (2) Motherwell

Wallace 20, 42, 70 Kemble 18

Rozental 29 (p) McCulloch 41

Tugay 90 (p)

Rangers: Klos ,Moore (Nicholson ,76 ) ,Amoruso ,Wilson ,Kanchelskis (McCann ,25 ) ,Ferguson ,Van Bronckhorst ,Albertz ,Tugay ,Rozental (Dodds ,46 ) ,Wallace

Subs not used: Penttila,Mark Brown,

Motherwell: Goram ,Corrigan ,Kemble ,McGowan ,McMillan ,Brannan ,Valakari ,Curcic (Nicholas ,56 ) ,Twaddle (Nevin ,40 ) ,Adams (Harvey ,79 ) ,McCulloch

Subs not used Woods,Strong,

Bookings: Brannan ,McCulloch ,McGowan (Motherwell)

Attendance: 49622

Referee: John Rowbotham (Scotland)