Why Can't Some Of Our Fans See The Bigger Picture?

nethertonwellfan

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree Motherwell Vs Dundee United (Porter, Wilkie) struglled to get 5000 and that was the season we finished 3rd. When we were doing well at the start of the season our gate was struggling.

Looks like you and I will have to agree to disagree on that issue.

Getting back to the bigger picture/perspective issue I'm sure you'll notice the posts on the match threads the day after the game are less emotive and most of us gain a sense of perspective.

I'm sure if we take 6 points from Hearts/Accies everyone will breathe easier although it may again increase the expectancy levels.

Will we finish top 6 this season ? tough to call on current form probably not but lets wait and see what January brings, my personal opinion top 6 would be fecking great but i'll accept SPL survival.

Bit of perspective would be nice. Over the past year and a bit we've lost: Porter, McCormack, Smith, Hughes, Clarkson and Quinn. Thats half a team of quality players. We're top half, we're in a bad run and we won't get relegated.

We've bled pretty much an entire team of youngsters, we'll take some doings but we'll come out of it and pick up points again. Top six is a strong possibility, then who knows?

Looks like you and I will have to agree to disagree on that issue.

Getting back to the bigger picture/perspective issue I'm sure you'll notice the posts on the match threads the day after the game are less emotive and most of us gain a sense of perspective.

I'm sure if we take 6 points from Hearts/Accies everyone will breathe easier although it may again increase the expectancy levels.

Will we finish top 6 this season ? tough to call on current form probably not but lets wait and see what January brings, my personal opinion top 6 would be fecking great but i'll accept SPL survival.

It is less emotive and from me too. Mines is to do with my stonking hangover though :wacko: .

I was not at the game yesterday and when I heard the result I was disappointed but not concerned because I have been thinking 'bigger picture' all season. However I have just listened to Gannon's interview and I am now concerned. That is not a man thinking 'bigger picture' It's a man who sounds beat, concerned and out of ideas.

It's sounds to me like his teenage hero's have let him down and he has decided to turn on them. Really poor interview. Could this be another manager who has underestimated what is required in the SPL?

I was not at the game yesterday and when I heard the result I was disappointed but not concerned because I have been thinking 'bigger picture' all season. However I have just listened to Gannon's interview and I am now concerned. That is not a man thinking 'bigger picture' It's a man who sounds beat, concerned and out of ideas.

It's sounds to me like his teenage hero's have let him down and he has decided to turn on them. Really poor interview. Could this be another manager who has underestimated what is required in the SPL?

He could be. He could be our Paul le Guen. Although I think we do need to be patient. There is a January transfer which could be very interesting.

I was at the game but came to the same conclusion after Gannon's comments. Absolutely no grasp of reality. It was his decision to play players out of position, his team talk and tactics changes at half time and his choice of substitutions. not just a heat of the moment interview either since MFC have published it.

Regardless of the arguments over booing or otherwise I suspect your own manager telling the world that you'll never keep a clean sheet is a real motivator - bound to inspire Ruddy to stay at Well I would imagine.

I'm not saying Gannon should go but he needs to accept that maybe he has something to learn about management and not just blame the players.

As for the problem undeserved expectations and criticism, well there is also a problem with undeserved praise, hero worship. Frankly too many supporters have been in some kind of thrawl to Jim Gannon, when he hasn't really done much. Gannon, unless we go into complete freefall, deserves at least a season to show us what he can do but at the same time fans must be allowed to show that we won't stand by and have our club used as a sort of experiment.

Gannon increasingly worries me. He is very arrogant, stuck in his ways and stubborn. Has anyone heard him take the blame for anything? It's the press, it's the referees, it's the players - he is unaccountable to the media or the fans. When we lose it's not the tactics or the formation, there is always an excuse.

That's what really worries me, not the defeats, its the fact cannot or will not accept that he might have to adapt his cosy little football coaching theories to fall into line with the real world. At the end of the day Gannon will walk away and it will be your 'club culture' that will have to pick up the pieces.

I agree with much of this.

When it comes to Jim Gannon I'm increasingly a bit of a doubting Thomas. I've said before I back the long-term plans to build the club, the promotion of the youngsters, though it has it faults - the desired style of play. What has been achieved in the first six months of his reign has been much much more than I dared hope for.

But with each passing week I have less and less confidence that he has the inclination to stick around and actually see it through. Maurice Malpas has been brought up a couple of times this weekend. Its not Malpas I see comparison's with its Eric Black.

Gannon like Black is an intelligent and well educated coach. Black clearly felt the tools he had been given to work with were insufficient and its obvious Gannon feels the same way. I saw Black a couple of weeks before we went into administration at the AGM that year and it was obvious he regretted coming to Motherwell and looked completely miserable and was looking for a way out. His get-out came when we went into administration just a couple of weeks later.

Worryingly I get exactly the same feeling from Gannon.

Gannon has set out an exciting future but much as I want to believe that if he will lead us there, and that there is that bigger picture than recent poor form, I can't away from the feeling that we have more immediate troubles looming that will render talk of bigger pictures irrelevant.

All,

Whilst I sympathise with the sentiments of the OP, and I do not boo myself, the day football moved from being a 'sport' to being 'entertainment' in my opinion, gives every paying punter the right to express his/her opinions however they choose. Simples, really. 

However, I disagree that the 'big picture' is about booing at all. The 'big picture' hasn't changed since my first game against St Mirren in the 1970s: the 'big picture' is about where we are located.

As I think I've mentioned  somewhere else, we're far too close to Glasgow to be serious contenders in the SPL; or gain a regular European place. And whilst McGhee did take us to third (and on to Nancy), I doubt that would have happened had it not been for the galvanizing effect in the aftermath of Phil's death. We picked up a lot of neutral support that season which has subsequently evaporated- witness less than 5000 fans for a home game against Steaua Bucharest. It was sickening walking down to New Broomfield passing kids with Smellic tops asking "Is there a game on tonight, big man?"; though that's the situation we're in. It won't change in my generation and Boyle has already spent a lot of his money trying to prove otherwise.

Whilst I, too, find some of his tinkering frustrating, Gannon isn't stupid. Despite being a fanny, George Peat wasn't being stupid with his comments on the eve of the Macedonia game. The outcome- a Scotland team that at last, wanted to win the game; and duly did. I see Gannon using a similar tactic in an attempt to obtain a similar result. We'll see on Wednesday whether it has worked or backfired.

We're sixth in the league having lost several senior players over the summer and our next two games are against an indisciplined Hearts side (whom we've traditionally had a rivalry with), and a derby game with Hamilton who we recently failed to beat when they had 10 men. There's plenty incentive over the next week. 

But some perspective, please folks! I think I'm in agreement with the OP on this point.

Moan the 'Well.

how long are we to remain patient?we havent played well since we drew with the h**s back in september.the performances have been steadily worse since then,and show no sign of improvement.4 league wins all season tell you enough about how we are playing.do we keep our patience till may when we are in the relegation zone.players earn praise when they work for it.at present only hateley and ruddy are playing well.the beautifull game that gannon played at the start of the season has gone,teams know how to play against us.patience is a virtue you cant use in football.we have every right to boo the team when the offer no fight, as they have done against aberdeen,accies and yesterday.and when you hear gannon interview from yesterday and last week,they offer no confidence in things changing.

No one said it was going to be easy .... supporting Motherwell that is.

If you want to follow a team that wins almost every week, experience regular european nights, with silverware round every corner and bumper attendances then you'd better ditch that claret and amber scarf. ^_^

We deserve nothing. We are guaranteed nothing. But we do have a right to expect something .... 100% effort from every player who dones that claret and amber shirt and from every manager who takes the hot-seat.

We are a small town team, with a 'shire support, on the doorstep of 2 of the largest football entities on the planet. Partick Thistle, Hamilton Academical, Airdrie Utd, Albion Rovers, St Mirren and Clyde operate within the same parameters and within larger catchment areas, but I know who I'd rather support :nod:

We're the 6th most successful club in Scotland, who almost went bust. Quite frankly I'd rather be playing in the SFL than risk our very being AGAIN.

What is the bigger picture we are meant to be seeing?

I was encouraged by the start Gannon made and he has perhaps made a rod for his own back seeming to work early miracles but at the moment there is no sense of a team evolving. There is no clear idea of what out best XI is. People are in and out of the team. Sure some injuries haven't helped but we currently look all at sea. With january coming up who knows who is coming and going and whilst I'm all for passing the ball on the deck we have been startlingly chronic to watch for at least 3 months regardless of results.

Settled teams tend to do better than ones that chop and change, so frankly I hope we can get that and see results pick up. I can't say I'm overly confident but it is clearly far to early to call for the managers head but I can see why people are getting incredibly frustrated we do look as poor as we did under Malpas lately and that really is a level no one wants to see revisited. I'm grateful we have some points in the bag to affors us this bad spell but again that only reminds us also of the opportunity lost of competing further up the league.

A few decent results in the next month can make all this go away not least a good cup win flung into the bargain but given we don't tend to win much in way of silverware I do also want to see a bit of entertainment in way we play and that as much as anything else is what is making this season become incredibly grim!

Because all football fans expect thier team to be Real Madrid/Manchester United and our club forget this is an evolutionary stage with our team and expect kids to do what the likes of seasoned pro's like Porter and Hughes done.

It's all about being realistic which half of this forum isn't.

Because all football fans expect thier team to be Real Madrid/Manchester United and our club forget this is an evolutionary stage with our team and expect kids to do what the likes of seasoned pro's like Porter and Hughes done.

It's all about being realistic which half of this forum isn't.

No we don't expect to be like Real Madrid/Manchester United but we do expect our team not to roll over to a mediocre St Johnstone at Fir Park.

Lets be realistic then.......When was the last time we won a game???

When are we going to win next? Hearts???, Accies????, Inverness in the cup????

Tell us then why this manager changes things all the time even when a change is not needed.

Is it because he had the wrong tactics or team and had to change it to win (the opposite has happened on too many occassions this season) we have been ahead at half time and he has changed things and then the team draw against 10 men or get beat against 11. He signed or plays most of the kids and leaves out the experienced guys which may have been alright in the English 2nd division but doesn't work in the SPL.

I am all for evolution but how long does it take? before we know it it will be March and we will be propping up the league.

Results don't lie, on form we are the worst team in this league over the past 8 games. Does he know what he is doing???

You're right. But your stats suck. As according to the league table we're the 6th best team in the league...

Sorry, can you read my post again..... over the past 8 games, 4 points out of a possible 24???

Worst in the league OVER THE PAST 8 GAMES.

You're right. But your stats suck. As according to the league table we're the 6th best team in the league...

Sorry if you read my post again I said after the last 8 games, I did of course mean after the last 7, DDDLLLL, doesn't look good does it?

You asked if he knew what he was doing. If he doesn't then thank god 6 other managers don't! We're currently 6th when most people expected us to be relegated at the start of the season. That either shows our fans are more hypocritical than most or worse - just idiotic. I don't care what our temporary form is, I care what our seasonal form is and well currently it's the 6th best in the league, and that is only because we've conceded more goal than Hearts.

By the end of the season I will bet now we'll be at least 15 - 20 points clear of whoever is relegated. And if that happens it's a fantastic season, even if we come 11th.

After the squad we were left with just before the first euro game most of us would have bit your hand off for an 11th place finish

I am absolutely sick of hearing that line. It's the same as "When we were in administration, we'd have been happy just to have had a team to support". Irrelevant, lot of bollocks.

Gannon has, admittedly, brought in a better group of players than we could have expected, but he is now completely failing to manage them and we are on the slide. Whilst this is going on, his solution is to point the finger at the referees, the media, the wee lassie selling the pies, etc to take the heat away from himself - exactly what we all criticised McGhee/Malpas for.

I await the announcement of his departure with relish.