Gus Macpherson Anyone?

postiejim

Going against the grain a wee bit....

I can actually see some shades of Tommy McLean in Gus McPherson. He got them promoted from the First Division as Tommy did with us. Then he managed to keep them up and has kept them in the SPL for three or four seasons. Chuck in a couple of semi finals and I can't imagine his record over his first five years in charge will have been that different from wee Tam.

What I don't see though is the step forward with silverware and European football that Tommy brought to Motherwell.

As I say going against the grain a wee bit......

.....though I'm still not sure I'd be too comfortable with him as Motherwell manager.

Great fishing thread!

I'll chip in anyway...

If Gus McPherson became the Motherwell manager, I would most certainly look on the bright side. The bright side being me saving myself the best part of £300 as I would not be renewing my season ticket for the first time in quite a lot of years.

Going against the grain a wee bit....

I can actually see some shades of Tommy McLean in Gus McPherson. He got them promoted from the First Division as Tommy did with us. Then he managed to keep them up and has kept them in the SPL for three or four seasons. Chuck in a couple of semi finals and I can't imagine his record over his first five years in charge will have been that different from wee Tam.

What I don't see though is the step forward with silverware and European football that Tommy brought to Motherwell.

As I say going against the grain a wee bit......

.....though I'm still not sure I'd be too comfortable with him as Motherwell manager.

Playing Devils Advocate, would McLean have got us the European jaunts and the silverwear in this day and age? I personally doubt it.

Mind we were after him in the twilight of his playing career? That was depressing enough.

Credit where it's due, he has done a very good job at St Mirren. I just canny stand watching his team.

Not for a second saying that I would want McPherson, but his team seems to be able to grind out results when it matters and funnily enough it always seems to be against us.