A Couple Of Fluke Results For The Haccies And The Saintees And We Could Be 10th

Steve Diggle

Its the old is your glass half full or glass half empty question isn't it? I think how positive or negative outlook you have will determine how you feel the rest of the season will go.

Its not too much of a surprise to see that MJC and Milo are among the first to post their worries in a thread, whether jovial in its intentions or otherwise, that trouble could lie ahead. Two guys who give the impression they are always pretty fearful of what lies ahead no what our position might be.

Equally there are those with unbridled optimism who will still be convinced that we are stick ons for the top six.

Personally while I'm still pretty positive but would admit that I just don't know. Too many ifs buts and maybes on the go just now for me to make a prediction with any assurance.

You would like to think with how we did in the opening few months a return to similar form is at least possible if not probable. There has been talk of the team being lacking in fitness latterly under Gannon due to his coaching methods. Will Jack & Victor and the gap in fixtures have allowed that to be remedied? Will a permanent appointment come along soon or will Jack & Victor get it to the end of the season or indeed beyond? Will there be movement to come inward and outward on the transfer front.

As I say I remain positive. I take some heart from the fact we've had a stinker of a couple of months yet still lie within a whisker of the top half of the table. The current incumbant's seem to have improved morale and the performance if not result was pretty encouraging at Tynecastle which bodes well.

Just very hard to predict.

I've maintained from the start of the season that because of our circumstances (new manager, young players being pitched-in, lack of experience etc.) we were in a false position in the league and that others such as Aberdeen and Hearts would probablly pick-up and pass us, and they have. That is not a concern.

However what is a concern, is that we are on a long losing run and we are due to play Hamilton, St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Falkirk - all in our area of the league now - and none of these will be easy to pick up wins from. And lets be clear, it is really a few wins we need to get some breathing space. As the poster who set the topic says, it is not fantastical that we could be lying 10th or worse after this.

Another worrying aspect is that we are hearing nothing from the club about the managerial situation (other than short term) and we are right in the middle of the last transfer window before the end of the season and no sign of any moves related to that.

I've maintained from the start of the season that because of our circumstances (new manager, young players being pitched-in, lack of experience etc.) we were in a false position in the league and that others such as Aberdeen and Hearts would probablly pick-up and pass us, and they have. That is not a concern.

However what is a concern, is that we are on a long losing run and we are due to play Hamilton, St Mirren, Kilmarnock and Falkirk - all in our area of the league now - and none of these will be easy to pick up wins from. And lets be clear, it is really a few wins we need to get some breathing space. As the poster who set the topic says, it is not fantastical that we could be lying 10th or worse after this.

Another worrying aspect is that we are hearing nothing from the club about the managerial situation (other than short term) and we are right in the middle of the last transfer window before the end of the season and no sign of any moves related to that.

Have to agree with this. The first hour of Sportsound tonight was Killie, Killie, Dun Utd, Killie, Dun Utd and talk about the "managerial merry go round". Refreshing in one respect (no OF), slightly puzzling in another (hello.....Motherwell!).

Killie are going for Chisholm and Burley and Tommy McLean wants it and I have just heard Jimmy Calderwood has been offered the Kilmarnock job. Dun Utd went for Pat Fenlon and are now looking at another shortlist. Ours has been all very short term. It is almost like the media know that Brown/Knox are here foir the long term. If that is the case then get it announced. If Boyle is still abroad tehn give yourself a bloody shake, get back here, get the finger out and make a decision one way or the other.

Have to agree with this. The first hour of Sportsound tonight was Killie, Killie, Dun Utd, Killie, Dun Utd and talk about the "managerial merry go round". Refreshing in one respect (no OF), slightly puzzling in another (hello.....Motherwell!).

Killie are going for Chisholm and Burley and Tommy McLean wants it and I have just heard Jimmy Calderwood has been offered the Kilmarnock job. Dun Utd went for Pat Fenlon and are now looking at another shortlist. Ours has been all very short term. It is almost like the media know that Brown/Knox are here foir the long term. If that is the case then get it announced. If Boyle is still abroad tehn give yourself a bloody shake, get back here, get the finger out and make a decision one way or the other.

:O I actually agree with Finlay :O

Och naw. Something weird is going on around here. Sure I will be shot down in flames soon enough :O

Seriously though I know Brown and Knox were to oversee things against Hearts (kinda), Hamilton, and, Inverness and the last two didn't happen......but the time frame concerning those games actually past five days ago. So what is the wait? What is going on? We wait to see how we do against Killie (if it goes ahead), Inverness, and, St Mirren before a decision is made on whether they are potential candidates to take the team to the end of the season or beyond? If we don't do well in these matches we could find ourselves heading towards that 10th spot looking for a manager in February. Not ideal. I remember thinking at the time that when the "rumour" came out that the decision (no doubt by Boyle) to boot Gannon came the week before it happened, why did JB sod off to the other side of the world for a holiday? Postpone it and take care of Motherwell was my initial thoughts (although probably not his missus' thoughts :P ). It was good work getting Brown and Knox in less than 24 hours after JG was sacked but as I said the time frame for their "interim period" has expired and Boyle should be back from Australia/New Zealand now. So?

I think some kind of deal might already have been made. Why we haven't been updated yet I don't know.