Is It A Good Thing?

maxywell

Unless we get embroiled in a relegation battle, I doubt I'll be back at FP anytime soon. Indeed, with relatively nothing to play for there is a fair chance I won't be back at FP this season. Particularly, when we have a number of players running down their contracts and no idea who our manager will be next season.

Don't worry about it you won't be missed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The extra revenue for the club and the excitement of a GOOD cup run would have been great. Being out of the cup at this stage is a bit of a disaster all round. Went to the game and whilst I was very disappointed I was not in the slightest bit surprised. Unless my maths are wrong then the following is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE;

Out of our last FIVE Scottish Cup exits, only ONE has been at the hands of another SPL club :wallbash:

What we have to aim for now is a top 6 finish. No way is the team good/consistent enough to finish in fourth place (people are mentioning a fifth place finish for Europe but I am certain that was just last year) and relegation (at this stage) looks unlikely as you would need to see Hamilton, Killie, and Falkikrk all go on good runs and us to totally collapse. Not going to happen. Best we can get is 5th/6th place finish and a seeded place in next year's CIS Cup......so we can get an easy lower division draw :rolleyes:

The extra revenue for the club and the excitement of a GOOD cup run would have been great. Being out of the cup at this stage is a bit of a disaster all round. Went to the game and whilst I was very disappointed I was not in the slightest bit surprised. Unless my maths are wrong then the following is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE;

Out of our last FIVE Scottish Cup exits, only ONE has been at the hands of another SPL club :wallbash:

What we have to aim for now is a top 6 finish. No way is the team good/consistent enough to finish in fourth place (people are mentioning a fifth place finish for Europe but I am certain that was just last year) and relegation (at this stage) looks unlikely as you would need to see Hamilton, Killie, and Falkikrk all go on good runs and us to totally collapse. Not going to happen. Best we can get is 5th/6th place finish and a seeded place in next year's CIS Cup......so we can get an easy lower division draw :rolleyes:

5th place will get into Europe if 2 teams in the top 4 play each other in the Scottish Cup Final. Scotland has 5 European places in total comprising of 2 CL and 3 Europa slots. Top two go to the CL and 3rd and 4th the Europa. The other Europa slot is given to the cup winners or the runners up. If both have already qualifird through their league position then the 5th place team in the League gets the slot.

What we have to aim for now is a top 6 finish. No way is the team good/consistent enough to finish in fourth place (people are mentioning a fifth place finish for Europe but I am certain that was just last year) and relegation (at this stage) looks unlikely as you would need to see Hamilton, Killie, and Falkikrk all go on good runs and us to totally collapse. Not going to happen. Best we can get is 5th/6th place finish and a seeded place in next year's CIS Cup......so we can get an easy lower division draw :wallbash:

Scotland will have 3 places in next seasons Uefa Cup.

3rd/4th place and cup winners or runners up.

Obviously it's a long shot but for people to say our season is over after last night's result is just ridiculous IMO

:rolleyes:

5th place will get into Europe if 2 teams in the top 4 play each other in the Scottish Cup Final. Scotland has 5 European places in total comprising of 2 CL and 3 Europa slots. Top two go to the CL and 3rd and 4th the Europa. The other Europa slot is given to the cup winners or the runners up. If both have already qualifird through their league position then the 5th place team in the League gets the slot.

Ahhhhhh! Cheers bud. So at this point we are looking for a 5th place finish (at least :wallbash: ) and something similar to an OF final.

Unless we get embroiled in a relegation battle, I doubt I'll be back at FP anytime soon. Indeed, with relatively nothing to play for there is a fair chance I won't be back at FP this season. Particularly, when we have a number of players running down their contracts and no idea who our manager will be next season.

Sounds a bit like last season doesn't it? We lost most of our first team and bounced back, there's no reason why we won't do it again next year if it comes to it. As for players running down their contracts, how many first team regulars are actually doing that?

I've been a supporter for 60 years, and have always been nervous when we draw a lower league team. Was really concerned about yesterday after the magic on Saturday. I could see TB up there in Inverness rubbing his hands knowing we'd be ripe for the taking.

To recocer I always bring out the dvd of the last big win, but the thing is getting pretty thin from being played almost 1000 times :wallbash:

We do have three Europa League slots, but I thought it was only the Champions in the Champions League this season? Either way, we'll not get it.

Also, why do we want to be seeded in the League Cup? We keep getting papped out by diddy teams anyway!

Not this year we didnae. Kind of :wallbash:

At the start of the season I said that finishing 8th or 9th and building a more stable platform for next season would be a success for us. After all the turmoil pre-season (and now mid-season), that still holds true. Anybody who thought we would be challenging for anything more than mid-table after the overhaul of the team during the summer was always going to be disappointed. If we make it into the top 6, that will be a pretty decent achievement.

At the start of the season I said that finishing 8th or 9th and building a more stable platform for next season would be a success for us. After all the turmoil pre-season (and now mid-season), that still holds true. Anybody who thought we would be challenging for anything more than mid-table after the overhaul of the team during the summer was always going to be disappointed. If we make it into the top 6, that will be a pretty decent achievement.

Whilst I agree with you weeyin (especailly the highlighted part), I think that loses some of its validity now when we could find ourselves saying the exact same thing in the summer. Again. New manager and backroom staff, Craigan, Lasley, Reynolds, O'Brien, Lukas, Ruddy, Hateley, Coke all potentially away and the possibility of filling their spaces with English lower league unknowns. Kind of sounds familiar.

I pretty much agree Weeyin, although I don't but into the top 6/ bottom 6 being a measure of achievement.

What concerns me is that we won't take advantage of the next 3 or 4 months with regards to building for the future. Full focus should be on naming a permanent manager and getting contracts sorted out for existing players and identifying targets for next season. However, I'm no sure that will be the case.

The rest of this season still does have something to grab my interest. We aren't too far off being involved in the Euro shake-up, although we are just as many points off being in a relegation scrap, so it'll be interesting to see which way we go!

In terms of the future, we do have a number of players out of contract in the summer, not to mention no permanent manager. I'd hate us to be in the same situation as we were last season, so getting as many players signed up is a must.

Achieving Top Six status would be pretty good, and as well as giving us a shot at another Euro campaign would also give us the superb opportunity to make the Bigot Brothers cack it in their title run-in!

The rest of this season still does have something to grab my interest. We aren't too far off being involved in the Euro shake-up, although we are just as many points off being in a relegation scrap, so it'll be interesting to see which way we go!

In terms of the future, we do have a number of players out of contract in the summer, not to mention no permanent manager. I'd hate us to be in the same situation as we were last season, so getting as many players signed up is a must.

Achieving Top Six status would be pretty good, and as well as giving us a shot at another Euro campaign would also give us the superb opportunity to make the Bigot Brothers cack it in their title run-in!

passed yer test yet peter? :angry:

What concerns me is that we won't take advantage of the next 3 or 4 months with regards to building for the future. Full focus should be on naming a permanent manager and getting contracts sorted out for existing players and identifying targets for next season. However, I'm no sure that will be the case

This concerns me aswell and sadly I fully expect another massive rebuilding job in the summer. Fair play to Gannon however he is remembered; he brought in a shedload of players and all of them look good enough.

Sorry Peter, I have to disagree. Floating about in the middle doesn't mean we can feed off the excitement of above and below. We need to either be fighting for Europe or fighting against relegation to have an exciting remainder of the season, and I just can't see either happening. Now that the cup is gone, the season is gone.

Having said that, it should give us a head start for next season if we can establish early who is staying and who is going and sort the manager situation out. Also, anyone who indicates they are leaving when their contract is up in the summer shouldn't kick a ball for us again.

There's no way our season is over, I fully expect it to get worse!!

The big test will be how the players respond to the defeat at ICT against St Mirren. Failure to take any points from the next few games will see us dragged in down near the bottom again unfortunately.

Sorry Peter, I have to disagree. Floating about in the middle doesn't mean we can feed off the excitement of above and below. We need to either be fighting for Europe or fighting against relegation to have an exciting remainder of the season, and I just can't see either happening. Now that the cup is gone, the season is gone.

Having said that, it should give us a head start for next season if we can establish early who is staying and who is going and sort the manager situation out. Also, anyone who indicates they are leaving when their contract is up in the summer shouldn't kick a ball for us again.

Would you rather be involved in the 'excitment' below? No chance!

I don't think we can totally write off Europe. Yes, its going to take some doing but all you need is to put together 3 wins in this league and you bound up that table. Look at Hearts. Plus, Dundee United will go through their now annual collapse on the field, this could be worsened if the rumours of impending administration are true.

I think Frazzle and Big Stall both make valid points. We are in a very similar position to Hearts and I wouldn't say their season was over. They are out both domestic cups (and Europe :( ) and only 4 or so points above us in the league. If we beat St Mirren and Rangers beat the Jambos at Ibrox then that opens us up for a run at 5th place and potentially a Europa League Qualifying Round run like this season. If however we keep up the same inconsistency no chance. One win in our last ten isn't good enough and could see us drop to 10th/11th position, if it continues, by the end of the season. Not excitement I want at all. If we go on runs of 1 win in every 3/4 matches then as long as some of them are draws we won't get caught up in the relegation mire but we will find ourselves in a 7th/8th place no mans land and our season will indeed fade away quite quickly.

As has been said in every match thread in the last two months the next four games are crucial. St Mirren at home, Falkirk away, Aberdeen away, and Accies at home (this WILL happen on the 6th Feb. Certain of it). Four teams as inconsistent as ourselves. 7, 8, or, 9 points from these games would not be bad at all. 12 points gained (unlikely I know)and not only are we pretty much safe from relegation (Would give us 35 points and I'm pretty sure the record for going down was set by ICT last season at 34 points) but well in for a 5th place finish.

Right now I'd be delighted with 8/9 points from the above.

I think Frazzle and Big Stall both make valid points. We are in a very similar position to Hearts and I wouldn't say their season was over. They are out both domestic cups (and Europe :lol: ) and only 4 or so points above us in the league. If we beat St Mirren and Rangers beat the Jambos at Ibrox then that opens us up for a run at 5th place and potentially a Europa League Qualifying Round run like this season. If however we keep up the same inconsistency no chance. One win in our last ten isn't good enough and could see us drop to 10th/11th position, if it continues, by the end of the season. Not excitement I want at all. If we go on runs of 1 win in every 3/4 matches then as long as some of them are draws we won't get caught up in the relegation mire but we will find ourselves in a 7th/8th place no mans land and our season will indeed fade away quite quickly.

As has been said in every match thread in the last two months the next four games are crucial. St Mirren at home, Falkirk away, Aberdeen away, and Accies at home (this WILL happen on the 6th Feb. Certain of it). Four teams as inconsistent as ourselves. 7, 8, or, 9 points from these games would not be bad at all. 12 points gained (unlikely I know)and not only are we pretty much safe from relegation (Would give us 35 points and I'm pretty sure the record for going down was set by ICT last season at 34 points) but well in for a 5th place finish.

Right now I'd be delighted with 8/9 points from the above.

We'll get 10 don't worry B-) .