How About Some Support Instead?

David

I have to say, we have a cheek to question the likes of Paul Slane leaving us when we are constantly on the backs of our young players.

Lads like Reynolds(22), Forbes(20) and Murphy(20) are all still youngsters learning the game and developing physically, which will bring a lot of ups and downs in their performances initially.

The very fact that we have such talented youngsters on the books is excellent, and to see them get panned and jeered by so-called fans is a disgrace.

The thread about Reynolds simply wasn't needed, and the fact that it was started by someone who should know better makes it even worse.

The lad is only 22 years old and has been a mainstay in the side for a good few years already, displaying some excellent qualities in the process.

Both he & Craigan managed to hold Rangers off with relative ease for the majority of that game, and have played a part in a defence that went something like 500 minutes without conceding a goal.

How about starting a topic to recognise that?

The bottom line is, were playing some good football, and were getting some good results, all with a team that contains a good few promising youngsters who should be encouraged to progress by the supporters, not heckled or badmouthed in the stands or on this forum.

It's the kind of behaviour you expect from the part-time fan who has a few pints and decides to wander into Fir Park because the Rangers/Celtic game isn't on ESPN in the pub that day, not from people who consider themselves passionate enough supporters to not only attend games, but to spend their days posting about the club on the internet.

In short, get a fucking grip.

I hate all that shite patter.

Firstly, how does someone criticising a Motherwell player make them a 'so-called fan' rather than just a fan? I'd guess there's very few people on here who have spent more time and money supporting Motherwell than me over the past decade, but I'm a 'so-called' fan because I get frustrated seeing the same Motherwell players making the same sort of mistakes on a regular basis over a number of seasons? If you're a Motherwell fan, you're a Motherwell fan. There's no grading system.

Broadening out the Reynolds thing a wee bit, I admit I was looking for a reaction on the other thread, but I genuinely do get frustrated with the attitudes of other Motherwell fans. I like Mark Reynolds and I want him to do well; I just don't think he's that good. And part of the reason I keep highlighting it is because he always escapes the flak that is thrown Craigans way, despite hardly being worthy of lacing his boots. I would understand that mindset if he was afforded more patience because he is/was a young player who has came through our ranks, but if that's the case then why is the same patience not afforded to Marc Fitzpatrick who, to me, has been at least as good as Reynolds for Motherwell, if not better?

Careful there David is this really the place for a well thought out and reasoned opinion supporting players ?

As I said in that thread who's name will be next ? Ruddy equally at fault for the goal if we want to get really pedantic and stupid you could argue that as Hammy and Reynolds are either side of Boyd could they not just have hauled him down and taken a red card for the team thus gving Ruddy an opportunity to save from the resultant penalty?

Lets try supportin the team had we been offered a draw from this game pre match anyone of us would have been delighted.

Broadening out the Reynolds thing a wee bit, I admit I was looking for a reaction on the other thread, but I genuinely do get frustrated with the attitudes of other Motherwell fans. I like Mark Reynolds and I want him to do well; I just don't think he's that good. And part of the reason I keep highlighting it is because he always escapes the flak that is thrown Craigans way, despite hardly being worthy of lacing his boots. I would understand that mindset if he was afforded more patience because he is/was a young player who has came through our ranks, but if that's the case then why is the same patience not afforded to Marc Fitzpatrick who, to me, has been at least as good as Reynolds for Motherwell, if not better?

So, because Craigan and Fitzpatrick get stick, you think that dishing it out to Reynolds is more acceptable?

Neither Craigan nor Fitzy deserve half the shit they get on here. That's why my original post referred to the team in general.

Don't get me wrong, if a player looks as though he isn't giving 100% and just isn't interested, then the criticism will be warranted, but I just don't see the point in bashing lads who are trying their best, and for the most part are doing well.

We aren't bottom of the league, we aren't getting beaten easily by the teams around us, and the team is playing well, as was evident last night.

Every player in a Motherwell shirt last night deserves credit for such a performance.

exactly since the debacle on boxing day the team has totally turned around their fortunes and have done it mainly through an incredible amount of hard work. guys like the juke, john sutton, lasley and jennings are leaving everything on the park in every game by completely running themselves into the ground and going in where it hurts. we always knew we had decent players but i think they can compete with and beat anyone in scotland if they keep up the standards they have set under pa broon.

did anyone see craigan bombing down the right wing in injury time. if only the cheat papac hadn't pulled the juke down we could have be due the most memorable goal in the history of fir park :lol:

Well said.

All too often even the slightest mistake is followed by a torrent of abuse from some "fans" and especially with so many young players in the team, it simply doesn't help at all.

I was very proud of the entire team last night and it's a great thing to be able to say that we went 500-600 minutes without conceding a goal and even then it was only ended against the league champions when they were gifted a goal by an uncharacteristic mistake.

The team's playing really well at the moment and although some players can be slightly exasperating to watch at times, we're playing some decent football and beginning to score goals.

So, because Craigan and Fitzpatrick get stick, you think that dishing it out to Reynolds is more acceptable? Yes, as I explained, I over-compensate to make my point. The unwarranted praise of Reynolds irritates me almost as much as the unwarranted criticism of others.

Neither Craigan nor Fitzy deserve half the shit they get on here. That's why my original post referred to the team in general.

Don't get me wrong, if a player looks as though he isn't giving 100% and just isn't interested, then the criticism will be warranted, but I just don't see the point in bashing lads who are trying their best, and for the most part are doing well.

We aren't bottom of the league, we aren't getting beaten easily by the teams around us, and the team is playing well, as was evident last night.

Every player in a Motherwell shirt last night deserves credit for such a performance.

I agree with most of the rest of what you've said, but there's no sense in rewarding poor performance. For the record, I don't heckle Reynolds or any other Motherwell players, at games.

He cost us one goal. Could've easily cost us at least one other. His remit as a defender is to stop the other team from scoring, so yes I do think he was poor as he failed his objective. Craigan got pelters on here after the 0-3 game at Kilmarnock when he achieved his objective, so while I have seen far worse performances than Reynolds' last night, I am keeping my opinion of him in perspective compared to some.

Craigan got pelters on here after the 0-3 game at Kilmarnock when he achieved his objective, so while I have seen far worse performances than Reynolds' last night, I am keeping my opinion of him in perspective compared to some.

Fair enough mate, whatever floats your boat.

I'd have credited you with more sense than that though.

I have to say, we have a cheek to question the likes of Paul Slane leaving us when we are constantly on the backs of our young players.

Lads like Reynolds(22), Forbes(20) and Murphy(20) are all still youngsters learning the game and developing physically, which will bring a lot of ups and downs in their performances initially.

The very fact that we have such talented youngsters on the books is excellent, and to see them get panned and jeered by so-called fans is a disgrace.

The thread about Reynolds simply wasn't needed, and the fact that it was started by someone who should know better makes it even worse.

The lad is only 22 years old and has been a mainstay in the side for a good few years already, displaying some excellent qualities in the process.

Both he & Craigan managed to hold Rangers off with relative ease for the majority of that game, and have played a part in a defence that went something like 500 minutes without conceding a goal.

How about starting a topic to recognise that?

The bottom line is, were playing some good football, and were getting some good results, all with a team that contains a good few promising youngsters who should be encouraged to progress by the supporters, not heckled or badmouthed in the stands or on this forum.

It's the kind of behaviour you expect from the part-time fan who has a few pints and decides to wander into Fir Park because the Rangers/Celtic game isn't on ESPN in the pub that day, not from people who consider themselves passionate enough supporters to not only attend games, but to spend their days posting about the club on the internet.

In short, get a fucking grip.

fabregas and messi are 22 a think and they put in consistent performances.not great examples maybe but i don't see what age has to do with it.reynolds has been a 1st team player for 3-4 years.what he did wasn't a lack of experience it was a lack of concentation which for a defender is poor at any level.

This thread thread is crap. The overwhelming majority get behind the team and the support in general last night was positive and appreciative of the performance the lads put in.

Some people will like or dislike certain players (often for no good reason) but to start a post suggesting that the majority don't support the team enough is a really poor effort.

Some people will like or dislike certain players (often for no good reason) but to start a post suggesting that the majority don't support the team enough is a really poor effort.

Can you point out where I refer to the "majority" as not supporting the team enough?

I'm simply pointing out that there are some who are blasting the team, and certain players, when it's really not due.

I'm sick of hearing that Ruddy was at fault. He simply wasn't. It was Reynolds ball all the way. If Boyd shouted 'keeper' then it might be vaguely understandable, but even so, when you look at it again, you'd think that most defenders would have hoofed it clear anyway.

I don't think Reynolds is a terrible player, but I think we're slowly seeing that he is an average player (or above average; I actually think he's better as a full back) who can play very well sometimes, and have lapses at times.

Unfortunately, he chose last night to have a terrible lapse in the middle of what would have been a great victory. It's unfortunate, but I think he's just that sort of player. Craigan can be the same at times. Brilliant for 89 minutes, but makes one vital slip and we lose a goal. We just have to accept that if a defender is that good, they won't be at Motherwell, or will be leaving soon.

Only Motherwell supporters could all fall out after our best performance of the season.

Of course fans are entitled to criticize but try to make the criticism fair.

Calling Reynolds "murder" when he played very well last night and made one mistake (along with Ruddy) after we've had one of our longest run of clean sheets in recent times is just ridiculous.

Just because Craigan was unfairly criticized earlier in the season doesn't make unfair criticism of Reynolds right.

If Reynolds costs us points three, four matches in a row - fine, but jumping on one mistake in 9 hours of football smacks of total hysteria.

He cost us one goal. Could've easily cost us at least one other. His remit as a defender is to stop the other team from scoring, so yes I do think he was poor as he failed his objective. Craigan got pelters on here after the 0-3 game at Kilmarnock when he achieved his objective, so while I have seen far worse performances than Reynolds' last night, I am keeping my opinion of him in perspective compared to some.

Using your methods then John Ruddy was a failure last night as his "objective" is to keep the ball out the net

I think you are at wind up

In defence of Frazzle, he is entitled to an opinion and having sttod next to him for enough years at Fir Park, he generally doesn't barrack players when they're on the park. I think he's trying to put across his "Reynolds is overrated, Craigan is underrated" which those who sit next to him have heard about 1000000 times before. For what it's worth, I think he's right in that. His statement that Reynolds is "murder" is I suspect an exaggaration to get his point across.

He is also right in that there's a difference between supporting the team and blindly accepting whatever the club dish up. If a fans' forum is not the place for airing differences of opinions on players then I don't know where is...

Aye and our stikers are pish cause they never scored.

Fuckin brilliant logic.

;)

Shows how far our expectations have come this season when a point against the league leaders at home from a game which we should have actually won causes so much debate, albeit some of it illinformed.