Motherwell And World Cup

delboy

With Michael McGlinchey joining the steelmen a question came to my mind, if he plays for us and then goes on to play at the world cup he can be add to the list of well players who played at the world cup.

But my question is who was the last?

I think it was Tommy Coyne in 1994 (USA) but I'm not sure if Paul Lambert played at France 1998?

For a bonus point can anyone else think of a game when 2 ex Scotland mangers met in club completion as they did on Wednesday night?

Yes but he wasn't a Motherwell player. Was a Celtic player by then. If I remember correctly Tommy Coyne is the only player to play at a World Cup while serving Motherwell. Don't know if you'll be able to add McGlinchey to that because his loan will have expired.

Yes but he wasn't a Motherwell player. Was a Celtic player by then. If I remember correctly Tommy Coyne is the only player to play at a World Cup while serving Motherwell. Don't know if you'll be able to add McGlinchey to that because his loan will have expired.

I'll count anyone who has played for the Well at any point in their career but double points for player who were playing for the well

Strictly speaking, McGlinchey won't be a Motherwell player either....unless we sign him permanently. Still, we'll still get a wee mention I'm sure.

Hmm, I wouldn't be so sure unless we happen to get a Scottish commentary team taken out to South Africa, which I would suspect would be unlikely.

I suspect it'll be the usual case of if they can't directly relate a player or game to the England team, it'll be some tenuous connection to the Premier League to try to keep it topical and relevant for what in the main will be an English audience.

I would think they would more likely say he was once sought after by Manchester United as a youngster than say that he actually played for Motherwell.

But aye, if he does do a turn for us it will give an extra wee interest when watching New Zealand's games.

TC is indeed the only serving Motherwell player to play in a World Cup finals. Obvious ex Well player is Gary Mac. Don't think Brian McClair ever played at a World Cup, so can't be too many others.

I don't think Gary Mac did, he was injured at 98. I'm too young to remember (given I was three months old) if he played at 90!

How could I forget...

Bobby Brown and Bobby Ancell or Bobby Howitt

also

George Burley and George Stevenson

Had to google this last one as the Scotland managers name was driving me mad! :doh:

John Prentice and the legendary John 'Sailor' Hunter

Does the question not relate to names of managers (Scotland and Motherwell) in place at the same time?

If so you're right with Bobby Brown and Bobby Howitt, but not even close with the other 2.