Death Is Not An Option

wellfan79

Club or country  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Motherwell or Scotland

• Motherwell to win champs league
    • Scotland to win world cup

As I say, it's just something I can't relate to. But I'm not patriotic, and ideas about national pride aren't something I hold anyway. Also I've never met a matchgoing United fan who would choose England over the club; it's outside of my experience this kind of debate.

That doesn't explain what's suspicious about it. If someone picks country over club, what are you actually suspicious of and why?

That doesn't explain what's suspicious about it. If someone picks country over club, what are you actually suspicious of and why?

I think it explains it perfectly. I don't understand it; it makes no sense to me, and I think we're always wary/afraid of that which we don't understand. Good luck to you, you're entitled to your view, but it isn't for me. I don't have the energy to be as passionate about my country as I am about my club :lol: . You and I are at opposite ends of the scale when it games to national teams; I couldn't care less, and you want them to be more successful than your club. Most people are probably somewhere inbetween.

I think it explains it perfectly. I don't understand it; it makes no sense to me, and I think we're always wary/afraid of that which we don't understand.

Not really. Given the choice between going out on a Saturday night or staying in and watching X-Factor, I'd pick the former every time and I don't quite understand how anyone can enjoy the latter.

But I wouldn't feel the need to be suspicious about anyone who does.

Not really. Given the choice between going out on a Saturday night or staying in and watching X-Factor, I'd pick the former every time and I don't quite understand how anyone can enjoy the latter.

But I wouldn't feel the need to be suspicious about anyone who does.

That a poor analogy. I would say it's more like a man who claims to be in love with two women at the same time. I've never been there and can't relate to it :lol:

As an Englishman on a 'Well forum, I'd choose Motherwell qualifying for the Champions League ( never mind winning it ) over England winning the World Cup. It would give me more pleasure.

That a poor analogy. I would say it's more like a man who claims to be in love with two women at the same time. I've never been there and can't relate to it :lol:

Fair enough. It's all about opinions - personally I'd say that yours is a poor analogy but we'll beg to differ.

For what it's worth, I actually agree with the points you mentioned that are relevant to why most people would pick club over country.

As I've already said, I spend far, far more following Scotland home and away than I do Motherwell, and my best football-related memories are definitely mostly international based. Even the idea of spending more time on your club - I'd disagree with that as well in my case. Saturday takes care of itself - there's no planning for a home game, and away games need very little planning. International matches are completely different though. As soon as the dates for the next campaign are announced (hopefully on Friday) much, much more time will be spent discussing, organising and booking everything required for the four away trips.

So yes, your reasons for picking one over the other are probably correct - and re-inforce my decision that I'm country over club!

It's probably a different dynamic too for Scotland. Many of us in England are put off the national side due to the shame England fans have brought upon all of us on many occasions, particularly when abroad. There is a lot of unpleasant baggage and a consequential reticence to attach onself to it. Scotland fans don't have that legacy.

It's probably a different dynamic too for Scotland. Many of us in England are put off the national side due to the shame England fans have brought upon all of us on many occasions, particularly when abroad. There is a lot of unpleasant baggage and a consequential reticence to attach onself to it. Scotland fans don't have that legacy.

I always thought that a great deal of Man Utd fan's resentment of the England national side was down to the treatment that Beckham got after he was sent off against Argentina in France 98 when he was made a national 'hate' figure.

I always thought that a great deal of Man Utd fan's resentment of the England national side was down to the treatment that Beckham got after he was sent off against Argentina in France 98 when he was made a national 'hate' figure.

Yeah, there's certainly some truth in that, and also the treatment Ronaldo got when Rooney was sent off in an England V Portugal game - the infamous winking incident. But there are also a lot of fans of other clubs - Liverpool, Everton, Newcastle spring to mind - whose support have turned away from the national team.

:O

More slightly confused. I take it you mean you feel there's an Old Firm bias in the squad selections, rather than something to do with supporters?

yeh cannae fault the support, just the phud's fae the auld firm that think they can strole intae the squad without earning it. Just wish a manager wi some backbone could put there foot down.

I mean how many times does kenny miller get called up because "he works hard"?

It's got to be Scotland winning the World Cup for me, but then again I live in Englandshire. Just. How. Sweet.

However I've already instructed our project manager to raise a risk for the University's re-implementation of Oracle Grants Module this year. If England win the world cup, then I'm not coming back to work... :P