Weekly Round Up And Poll

SPLrefs.com

We thought we would do a weekly round up of refereeing incidents round the country taken from media reports. However, we don't just want to hear the journalists' views - we would love to hear the fans views and see this as your opportunity to discuss and debate amongst each other.

Weekly Round Up

Additionally, we are running a poll to gauge fans opinions on what they see as the single most important change you would make to help improve refereeing.

We'd love you to vote as we are planning to communicate with the SFA soon and we will be feeding the results of our poll to them to let them understand the fans views on this important issue.

SPLrefs.com working together with the fans to improve refereeing standards in Scotland

We thought we would do a weekly round up of refereeing incidents round the country taken from media reports. However, we don't just want to hear the journalists' views - we would love to hear the fans views and see this as your opportunity to discuss and debate amongst each other.

Weekly Round Up

Additionally, we are running a poll to gauge fans opinions on what they see as the single most important change you would make to help improve refereeing.

We'd love you to vote as we are planning to communicate with the SFA soon and we will be feeding the results of our poll to them to let them understand the fans views on this important issue.

SPLrefs.com working together with the fans to improve refereeing standards in Scotland

Are you having us on? You can start by not ignoring Wednesday night's incident.

Are you having us on? You can start by not ignoring Wednesday night's incident.

Exactly.

Time you lot became accountable and less incompetent. Lets fit you with microphones and start utilising video replay technology like they have in Rugby Union and League. That would eradicate such farces as witnessed at Fir Park last week.

Exactly.

Time you lot became accountable and less incompetent. Lets fit you with microphones and start utilising video replay technology like they have in Rugby Union and League. That would eradicate such farces as witnessed at Fir Park last week.

We are not in any way linked to the SFA or SPL, we are a small group of fans with the longer-term aim of acting as a 'middle man' between the fans and the SFA. We will continue to generate discussion around controversial refereeing incidents and gather feedback from the fans in order to help us achieve this aim. The poll we are running is a good example of this. We realise there is a long way to go but recognise that we are making gradual progress.

The article is purely a round up of the weekend's games.

................. realise there is a long way to go but recognise that we are making gradual progress.

progress :lol: utter bollocks :doh: our Officials have been shyte and/or bias for the 40years I've been watching the game. No change there then :blink:

why call yourself SPLRefs.com if you are no way related ?

progress :O utter bollocks :nod: our Officials have been shyte and/or bias for the 40years I've been watching the game. No change there then :P

why call yourself SPLRefs.com if you are no way related ?

This reads to me that the guy's group has started to make gradual progress in achieving their aims, not referees. Now I don't know what progress that is but as someone who dips in out of other teams forums occasions they've certainly established a presence and certainly on here have made some useful and informative posts.

Seems like you're aiming your fire at the wrong target here Special.

Just voted, can't believe video evidence isn't waaaaaaaaaaay out in front. Explanations to the media only adds more pressure to the job. Refs need all the help they can get, especially in Scotland.

This reads to me that the guy's group has started to make gradual progress in achieving their aims, not referees. Now I don't know what progress that is but as someone who dips in out of other teams forums occasions they've certainly established a presence and certainly on here have made some useful and informative posts.

Seems like you're aiming your fire at the wrong target here Special.

Agreed Andy / Calm doon Pie!

Interesting, until a day or so ago, video evidence was a distant second to explaining decisions to the media, now it's top of the poll.

Andy_P and SteveDiggle, thanks for your support, it's much appreciated. We've now got some real momentum behind our site and are in active communication with the SFA.

We see our site as one where we can garner fans opinions from all clubs on important issues and be used as a go-between the fans and the SFA.

There was meia coverage of a meeting between Hugh Dallas and 11 of the 12 SPL teams regarding referees and some honest comments from Dallas following that meeting.

We believe this is a huge step in the right direction and long may it continue, hopefully with SPLrefs.com being a key driver of discussion and debate between the fans and the SFA.

What's your thoughts on the meeting with Dallas and the SPL Mangers - do you think this is a positive step?

Its a positive step. But I dont think it will work. I do feel football needs the same as other sports with Video replays and with regards to the scottish game, we need officials from elsewhere because 9 out of 10 refs will support the old firm anyway thats before biasness.

Its a positive step. But I dont think it will work. I do feel football needs the same as other sports with Video replays and with regards to the scottish game, we need officials from elsewhere because 9 out of 10 refs will support the old firm anyway thats before biasness.

We agree, now you are only allowed to vote on our poll once and you have covered two options - which one would you choose?

It's video evidence for me. It only takes a matter of seconds for the 4th official to watch a video and say to ref over the radio either "yes", "no", or "inconclusive".

Players spend longer than that complaining about decisions so it's not like it's going to disrupt play any more than is already happening.

Plus, if there's video support, hopefully the number of baffling decisions drops and there's no need to explain decisions via the media.

The meeting is a miniscule step and the output / press release / dallas's wrap up is exactly the same as it was when the first meeting happened under Mcghee's tenure.

The refereeing standard is abysmal although I admit it is a tough gig.

However the implications for wrong decisions is far too severe and can influence the destination of the SPL trophy, euro spots, top 6 spots and worse still relegation where livelihoods are at stake.

Even in Scotland football is a multi million pound business and punters are charged fairly hefty admission prices. The standard of officiating should be of a suitable standard.

For me we have piss poor refereeing standards. The flow of football is punctuated way too much for nonsense decisions that only serve to throw the spotlight on the official and not the players. The inconsistency over 90 minutes is something truly to behold (and I think that the Papac debacle the other night highlights that, it was caused by the ref and not necessarily the player - two hefty rangers challenges were completely ignored before the tackle on papac was blown up - totally piss poor refereeing.)

Oh and the decisions that go the way of the Old Firm just take the wind out of the sails of - opposing players, fans, club officials alike - we all deserve better in terms of consistency and fairness.

I think the SPL should have more to say on it too. essentially their product that they want to market worldwide is being badly affected by refereeing.

We need more than small step improvements - the pace of change needs to take a massive jump and the heat on Mr Dallas should be something that has been making his life absolute hell for many months and it should be getting hotter by the day.

It isn't tho! Why is that???? Hmmmmm

What's your thoughts on the meeting with Dallas and the SPL Mangers - do you think this is a positive step?

What good is a meeting where nothing gets said or done about the most blatant example of Scottish officialdom in action (i.e. Old Firm bias) A one vote poll isn't sufficient for the ills of our game and the dafties that oversee it. Sorry but farting against thunder is my view on what you're facing.

We are not in any way linked to the SFA or SPL, we are a small group of fans with the longer-term aim of acting as a 'middle man' between the fans and the SFA. We will continue to generate discussion around controversial refereeing incidents and gather feedback from the fans in order to help us achieve this aim. The poll we are running is a good example of this. We realise there is a long way to go but recognise that we are making gradual progress.

The article is purely a round up of the weekend's games.

Care to explain your user name then?

Shug

Being consistent, fair and as accurate as can be.

Example. In Nov, McDonald of Aberdeen was sent off a FP for lifting his shirt after he scored. Got a 2nd yellow and sent off. McLean at the weekend, took shirt off and didnt get a 2nd booking. Why not?

Example. In 2008 Bob Malcolm got a red card at Celtic park for a challenge on Donatti. On Oct that year, Scott McDonald went in with a tackle that was just as bad if not worse than Malcolms and just gets a yellow. What was the difference?

Example. Clarky was sent off at Celtic Park in Nov 2008 for the so called elbow into Caddis face when he was facing away from the player and getting his shirt pulled. At the weekend, Kris Boyd appeared to elbow Zemmama and just gets a yellow card.

There is no consistency there, even although they are 3 very similar situations. Its not fair to send a player off and then treat another differently. No wonder the officials get a hard time when there is a difference of options in applying the laws of the game.

As for Mr Gilmour, as I see things through Claret and Amber contact lenses, I will shout for any decision to go Motherwells way even when I know it isnt and live with most decisions that go against us. But last week for just a shocking decision. It wasnt even 50/50, if it was then I could live with the split second decision he made. But it wasnt even 80/20 or 90/10. It was 100/0. How an experienced official got that totally incorrect is beyond belief.

Being consistent, fair and as accurate as can be.

1 Example. In Nov, McDonald of Aberdeen was sent off a FP for lifting his shirt after he scored. Got a 2nd yellow and sent off. McLean at the weekend, took shirt off and didnt get a 2nd booking. Why not?

2 Example. In 2008 Bob Malcolm got a red card at Celtic park for a challenge on Donatti. On Oct that year, Scott McDonald went in with a tackle that was just as bad if not worse than Malcolms and just gets a yellow. What was the difference?

3 Example. Clarky was sent off at Celtic Park in Nov 2008 for the so called elbow into Caddis face when he was facing away from the player and getting his shirt pulled. At the weekend, Kris Boyd appeared to elbow Zemmama and just gets a yellow card.

There is no consistency there, even although they are 3 very similar situations. Its not fair to send a player off and then treat another differently. No wonder the officials get a hard time when there is a difference of options in applying the laws of the game.

As for Mr Gilmour, as I see things through Claret and Amber contact lenses, I will shout for any decision to go Motherwells way even when I know it isnt and live with most decisions that go against us. But last week for just a shocking decision. It wasnt even 50/50, if it was then I could live with the split second decision he made. But it wasnt even 80/20 or 90/10. It was 100/0. How an experienced official got that totally incorrect is beyond belief.

Just numbered them for right of reply:

1. McLean should have been booked - refereeing error however referee in our game got a really hard time in the press. He followed the rules of the game perfectly.

2. Don't remember the McDonald tackle however sending Malcolm off was correct call.

3. Don't think they are like for like. Boyd's was calculated to be an elbow and should have been a red - however in fairness I can understand why the linesman thought he just blocked him off and the ref did not see it. But they were wrong. Clarkson was pulled and tried to shake Caddis off. That was a poor decision as well. However don't think those two are comparable.

Whilst I agree video evidence could be used there are issues. I have watched Bamba's foul on Miller about nine times now on Sunday and I'm still not sure if its a pen or not. How do you deal with that? Maybe you just make video evidence available for offside and goalline incidents or you leave it to the ref to use at his discretion. I do think something that would help our refs and assistants is if they team up and work together every week so they get to form a relationship with each other.

And while the press have a duty to report errors they also have a duty not to sensationalise and make the referee the villain - because it means they lose respect. For example today Hugh Dallas said something along the lines of there have been some disappointing decisions and The Sun's headline - 'Dallas Slams Rotten Refs'. Not for a second saying they should be immune for criticism but lets make it measured and constructive.

Whilst I agree video evidence could be used there are issues. I have watched Bamba's foul on Miller about nine times now on Sunday and I'm still not sure if its a pen or not. How do you deal with that? Maybe you just make video evidence available for offside and goalline incidents or you leave it to the ref to use at his discretion. I do think something that would help our refs and assistants is if they team up and work together every week so they get to form a relationship with each other.

Here's a radical idea. Nick the buzzer system idea from Amateur Boxing (and nick the actual buzzer system if we canny afford our own). All ye need then is 5 highly trained professionals with 20/20 vision and who sleep with the fifa rule book under their pillows. If 3 out of the 5 buzz for a penalty then it's a penalty. Easy peasy.

Whilst I agree video evidence could be used there are issues. I have watched Bamba's foul on Miller about nine times now on Sunday and I'm still not sure if its a pen or not. How do you deal with that?

Same way as every other sport deals with it: if video is inconclusive, referee's original decision stands. Video isn't supposed to make the decisions for him, just to override him if he's made an obvious error.