Artificial Pitch

gullane

Artificial Pitch  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should we give up trying to maintain a natural surface?

• Go plastic
    • Keep tattie field

I presume it's 3g turf? In which case I say there's fuck all wrong with it and you get a perfectly true bounce of the ball.

I'm for the introduction of artificial surfaces across the board.

As long as it's not like the concrete with a bit of felt (and sand) on top like they've got at Hamilton Palace :huh: that's the worst surface I've played on in years.

Actually come to think of it I played on Accies old plastic turf too and it wasn't any better, any time I play on 3G for more than 45 minutes now my legs are totally fucked for days after and both my ankles feel it you wouldn't believe.

Actually come to think of it I played on Accies old plastic turf too and it wasn't any better, any time I play on 3G for more than 45 minutes now my legs are totally fucked for days after and both my ankles feel it you wouldn't believe.

Well there must be an underlying problem.

I play a full 90 and a 1hr game on 3G every week and I've never had any injury like that.

What about planting some weeds. Not the jaggy ones though. Weeds take a pounding on my driveway and paths and they always come back nice and lush. They don't require all that much sun and can still be mown. Nice and natural also. No sore ankles as they are soft underground.The mossy ones that is.

Watch the sticky willies though as the small balls are murder to get off your socks.

If its 4th gen astro then im sure it would meet all uefa standards as its been used in euro competitions before. As a professional club yes grass would be the preferred option but with no move on the horizon and the current pitch being barely playable maybe its time the club looked at other solutions. If it was approved by the spl im sure it would be more suitable to have one of these pitches laid. The cost of laying one of these pitches is probably a bit more costly but it would only need minimal work to keep it in top condition and if let out sensibly it would cover alot of the running costs for the pitch.

The comment made about these pitches causing injuries has basically been shot down in flames by ferguson when he rightly says if there causing longterm injuries why are we allowing future star of our game train on them every week. Im guessing that now most kids with ability or desire will be training with at least 2 teams every week, so basically they could be training on this surface 4-5 hours a week plus games which could take this up to 6-7 hours a week on this surface.

Im sure that alot of the motherwell boys club games are played on these surfaces at wishaw and at the keir hardie centre. the first team also train on it at toryglen when the weather is to bad to train outside.

Well, I'd say it's becoming much more widespread, currently 11 NFL teams have FieldTurf installed at their home stadium, and I'm pretty sure there'll be more in the future as teams re-locate.

It's the way forward, as seen in New England with their pitch being a mudfield much likes ours, since the installation of FieldTurf about 2 years ago now, I can't remember any injury that has been brought about solely thanks to the surface, infact, a study releasead, conducted over a5 year period found very similar injury levels between fieldturf and grass.

2 completely different sports, American football doesn't rely on a true bounce, nor is the impact of playing constant.

What about planting some weeds. Not the jaggy ones though. Weeds take a pounding on my driveway and paths and they always come back nice and lush. They don't require all that much sun and can still be mown. Nice and natural also. No sore ankles as they are soft underground.The mossy ones that is.

Watch the sticky willies though as the small balls are murder to get off your socks.

<_<

The third generation astro-turf pitches are light years ahead of the disaster that Dunfermline had a few years ago. The one Hamilton had when they were in the 1st Division got plenty of plaudits as it was so good. Players are doing much more training on astro-turf pitches nowadays so the 'fear of the unknown' is much less than when Dunfermline had theirs.

Lets be honest, we are not playing on grass pitches after November as they are all usually bereft of grass coverage by then. Astro-turf would be cheaper to maintain too as there would be no need for undersoil heating, pitch covers or diddy groundstaff. Playing in the northern hemisphere it's got to come - a number of Russian teams are now using it and are allowed to play European Champions League and Europa League games on it so clearly EUFA don't have any issues with it.

I play rugby on Murryfields 4g pitch 5 times a week about an hour and a half each time and while all the other pitches are mudbaths the 4g pitch is almost always ok and i have seen 1 injury in 3 years of playing there due to the playing field.

If they did it properly 4g pitches are the way forward

If the future of the SPL is sitting on a wee plastic seat in a lego stadium watching a game on a plastic pitch then count me out.

+1.

The thing that I like about the beautiful game is variety. Games in the summer on bowling greenesque pitches can be played with great passing, moving football, whereas winter football can show gritty back to front games, where the determination is more handy than skill. If we went to an artificial surface we could say goodbye to hearty slide tackles and players lasting into their mid thirties. Keep the grass.

If we are going to continue playing winter football without any kind of meaningfull break then they must surely be considered an option.

A big decision needs to be made here. We've had some bad weather over the last few winters and who's to say that isn't going to continue. It has caused damage to all but a few scottish pitches but perhaps more importantly it is costing clubs a small fortune. Money that should be being spent on improving the match experience and avoiding debts is being flushed away.

Awful pitches comes with winter football and has always caused disruption to those who attend the games. It seems that ridiculously late call off's in all our leagues is now the norm. I don't know if the quality of the pitches is putting anyone off attending matches but I would be interested to know if it has.

Would prefer a winter shutdown or summer football over plastic pitches. For me, football is a game best played on grass.