Milking The Fruits Of Our Labour

rab_mackinnon

Been reading the mark reynolds thread about PSV and Blackburn having an interested in our ginger haired centre back but qoutes of 500k is quite dissapointing.

I look at clubs who ultimately sell there talent on at a profit and although this is the business model in which we rely on to keep the bailiffs at bay.

How come we always end up with shitty sell on fee's!!!!

Look at hibs made a decent profit from brown caldwell thomson and the rest probably paying for there new stand and there state of the art training centre.

How can we not generate these kind sell on fees when we've had one of the best youth set ups for years?

answers on a post card please!!!

I know what your saying RM, and the way i see it, and i could be wrong, but 1 of the reasons is, we as a club cannot afford to give our youngsters 4-5yr contracts, so a lot of the time the youngsters are in their final yr of their contracts before we start contract talks with them. This leaves the door open for other clubs to come in and hold our club to ransom.( For example, there are 4-5 under 19`s at the moment with only 3months left on their contracts) and there are other teams starting take interest. I understand we cannot give all our promising youngsters 4-5 yr contracts but i think we should at least be offering them something at least before other teams can talk to them. (ie. minimum 6 months before contract ends).

Numerous reasons, mainly we aint a BIG club and agree that we loose players who only have less than a year left of their contracts as canny afford 5 year deals. With investment in the youth setup today, we will make money in the future to re-invest. But at present the youth set-up looks like we loose money annually as its rare we make any REAL money on players except McFadden and O'donnell, spanning 15 years!!!

Agreed we never really go over the million mark, but things like £600,000 for Clarkson, £650,000 for McDonald, £400,000 for Porter etc are all serious amounts of money when it come to MFC. Hell, we even got £150,000 for Richie fucking Foran!

(IN MY OPINION) £500,000 for Reynolds is not too bad a bit of business. Obviously I hope the club do what (I'm sure) they always do and hold out for the best possible price and not accept the first bid (which we allegdly do all the time I read on here). You have to consider as well, Reynolds is a centre half, which is a slightly less glamorous position. I don't agree with it in the slightest, but clubs will pay more for a centre forward or a winger or attacking midfielder than a defensive player. You don't often hear of a defender leaving the SPL for big bucks. Shite, but it's the way it goes. As I say, £500k plus a few decent sell on clauses and I'd be quite pleased considering the circumstances.

Mind you, if we as a club are in no position to barter over transfer fees, neither are Accies!

I expect 'Watty' to go in the summer, and if we can get 500k and use some or most of it to keep other players and improve the squad then fine. He's due a move up the ladder anyway, having seen Clarky, Coach and Shug leave for bigger money.

Can't see anyone not wishing Reynolds all the best, unlike Slane, he signed the 3 (four?) year deal to allow the club to get money at the end. Unfortunately since the talk of 1 million pound bids, his form has dropped and the economic climate (to use a phrase I detest) has changed how transfer fees are being paid and as such, I think anything between 300k and 750k is about what we can expect. 500k and a decent sell on clause would make me very happy.

What about McCarthy 2.5 million was it, Thats a joke!

1.2 Million

Was it really a joke???

How ever much I or any other well fan may hate him, he is a fantastic talent and for a EPL side to be playing a relatively inexperienced 19 yr old week in week out there must be something there.

Let's face it, 1.2 million is spare change for EPL teams and IN MY OPINION was worth that gamble.

For me £500-700k for Reynolds is a good deal. Like someone said, we might be needing some of that money in the summer. Then again European football under Brown and Knox may just convince a few players that it's worth hanging around MFC for a wee while longer.

A lot of players mentioned were brought here on short term deals that suited both parties - 1 or 2 year deals. Downside is that if the player has a good season they hold all the cards. In Scotland alone there are arguably 6 clubs that can offer bigger contracts than us. If they shine we lose them for a fee probably agreed by their agent when they signed on. We have made profit for a few years now and benefited greatly from these type of deals and I have to say it's something Boyle should be praised for (BM aside).

We can always hope every now and again a player decides that Motherwell is his team and decides to sign on, make good money and stay for a while.

Would love it if the club played hardball and made other teams cough up more money for our players but were not a big club and usually the players contracts are running out.
That's the problem. "Give us a million quid or else......... we'll let you have him for free in 6 months time".

Would love it if the club played hardball and made other teams cough up more money for our players but were not a big club and usually the players contracts are running out.

How do you know they haven't? How does anyone know the club doesn't always do their absolute best out of squeeze every fucking penny out of every single club we've ever sold a player for? A lot of our fans have unrealistic values of our players, and when players are sold for less than what we think they're worth then we assume that the club have "jumped at the first offer".

We did turn down offers from Rangers for both McDonald and Reynolds.

As regards Accies, well we got marginally less for Quinn than they received off of Burnley for Brian Easton. McCarthy was always going to go for more, the only surpirse was that Barcelona, Inter Milan and Liverpool didn't enter the bidding.