Falkirk V St.johnstone Bigger Draw Than Us?

simba

Sitting outside old Trafford just now. Total cost for myself and son is £37 very similar to Fir Park.

What's better value for money ?

Neither, you're essentially paying the same price for the same thing: to be allowed to sit on a plastic seat and watch 90 minutes of football, which some weeks will be great and some weeks will be crap. (And there are plenty of crap games in the EPL too, if Match of the Day is anything to go by.)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Footballs to expensive...simple!

I know 6 or 7 guys who used to go every week home or away, now they go to 2 or 3 games a season cos they simply can't afford it.

That's the kind of fundamental of issue football in general has to address. It's very sad to hear of lifelong fans being priced out of watching their team, particularly in the context of the SPL where there are thousands of empty seats waiting to be filled.

Sitting outside old Trafford just now. Total cost for myself and son is £37 very similar to Fir Park.

How did you manage that - £37 for the two of you? I pay that for a pie now.

I think we should be giving away thousands of tickets to schools, local teams and charities not just for the odd game here and there but over an entire season to try and get people back into the habbit of coming to Fir Park every fortnight.

As far as the pitch goes it won't affect the home supports decision to come because the majority are season ticket holders but for away fans who can pick and choose which games they go to why would you want to come to Fir Park? The well publicised criticism of the pitch has led to an assumption (incorrect as we have shown) that you can't play good football on it and as a result any game played on it is bound to be dire. It's not the main reason why folk don't come, that will always be cost, but I think it does play a small part.

I think we should be giving away thousands of tickets to schools, local teams and charities not just for the odd game here and there but over an entire season to try and get people back into the habbit of coming to Fir Park every fortnight.

As far as the pitch goes it won't affect the home supports decision to come because the majority are season ticket holders but for away fans who can pick and choose which games they go to why would you want to come to Fir Park? The well publicised criticism of the pitch has led to an assumption (incorrect as we have shown) that you can't play good football on it and as a result any game played on it is bound to be dire. It's not the main reason why folk don't come, that will always be cost, but I think it does play a small part.

Actually the unpredictability of the pitch would be a plus point for me it adds to the excitement, even though if anything from what I've seen it's cost us more than the opponents.

one of the papers last week had a story about the film avatar saving a lot of cinemas from making a loss,people just have not got the cash to spend on luxuries(£22 for 90mins comes into that category imo)

Wish they'd make their minds up... last year there were loads of stories about how well the cinemas were doing (and always do) in hard times because it's a relatively cheap night out of escapism.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-bus...om-recession.do

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/fi...-recession.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1...uster-year.html

etc...

That's the kind of fundamental of issue football in general has to address. It's very sad to hear of lifelong fans being priced out of watching their team, particularly in the context of the SPL where there are thousands of empty seats waiting to be filled.

How did you manage that - £37 for the two of you? I pay that for a pie now.

No fan should have to miss a game through cost factors. I used to be able to follow Motherwell when I was on the Burroo, betye no-one could manage that these days. It's a game for all allegedly, let's make it so.

No fan should have to miss a game through cost factors. I used to be able to follow Motherwell when I was on the Burroo, betye no-one could manage that these days. It's a game for all allegedly, let's make it so.

No you can't, especially when you have an 21 month old to cater for tae. Long has the days of football being that way sadly - but look on the bright side you get to see the best in the world :blush: .

Make the two end sections at the corner of the East and Cooper (the last block of seats in each stand if you know what I mean), available for a £12 'pre-book' for the last 4 or 5 games of the season. (obviously no ST holder's seats if there are many in there)

the pre-book is available up til the friday of the match - then it's normal pay at the gate prices on match day.

An incentive for the waverers to get mobilised.

if it works it works if it doesny the nowt has been lost.

I think the football is over-priced if I am perfectly honest but never to the point where I would consider not going. I am now onto my thirteenth season ticket, been going since I was six and can't imagine Saturdays without it to be honest. But at the same time it comes at a cost to me, I'm a working 20 year old with no real ties, so it's not like going to the football takes money from a more worthwhile cause, others would be unable to justify it. I do think the current game suits the armchair fan down to a tee. When I started going to the games in season 1996/97, there was only one game of football on the radio, two if you were lucky. Other than that the only way of keeping up with the game was through an unanimated Ceefax. Now you can listen to any game online, and there is Soccer Saturday and leaked games on the internet. Don't get me wrong I'd much rather go to an unnamed local pub to watch us play at Parkhead than fork £28 out, but this day and age is killing attendances. Since I started going the attendances have gone down and the prices have gone up, the prices probably reflecting the club trying to compensate for the loss of numbers but either way it's a lose-lose situation.

Sadly Scottish football is in terminal decline.

It's not just the cost that is putting people off, it's too simplistic to argue that- People will pay the money if the quality is good enough- which it isn't. Coupled with regular high quality Premiership/La Liga/Serie A matches on Sky, there is simply no pull factor. Throw Old Firm dominance and the monotony of the SPL league structure into the mix then we shouldn't expect rising attendances at matches.

Solution? Heavy investment, but that simply isn't rational. We're a small country which generates little revenue. It's no coincidence the best leagues have large populations. We could perhaps improve the situation through more efforts in youth development, but would that really solve anything other than the national side's fortunes? Look at Ajax. Excellent youth system but they've been fucked time and time again with larger sides from the bigger leagues pinching their talent.

There's a fair chance that the future of Scottish football is entirely dependent on the 'Hardcore' fanbase and it's ability to take their kids to matches, but whether or not the next generation sticks with it is another matter- I know I wouldn't bother with Scottish football if I didn't support Motherwell.

Was at the game at OT yesterday myself. Could not believe the amount of United shirts I saw in Southwaites services on the way back home. Just goes to show you that people in Scotland are willing to spend a bit of money on football. Value for money will have something to do with it. The fact (for whatever reason) fans aren't going to many away games now is a major reason, imo, why all crowds are down. That Hearts crowd on Saturday was frighteningly low. Too expensive? Disappointing season? Displeasure at the way Mad Vlad is running things? Who knows what else.

Was at the game at OT yesterday myself. Could not believe the amount of United shirts I saw in Southwaites services on the way back home. Just goes to show you that people in Scotland are willing to spend a bit of money on football.

I find that very sad and extremely concerning. It can't be good for football as a whole.

If Scots stay away fans want "value for money" then Ibrox and Parkhead are a lot nearer and cheaper than Old Trafford. Next thing we'll see is an Inter Milan Loyal branch being set up in Bellshill, when folk get tired of watching minnows like Aston Villa and Everton.

:lol:

I find that very sad and extremely concerning. It can't be good for football as a whole.

If Scots stay away fans want "value for money" then Ibrox and Parkhead are a lot nearer and cheaper than Old Trafford. Next thing we'll see is an Inter Milan Loyal branch being set up in Bellshill, when folk get tired of watching minnows like Aston Villa and Everton.

:lol:

Aye, but they aren't getting to see Rooney :ph34r: Seriously, I get your point. It is rather worrying.

It's a lot worse here in Ireland. For every one person who goes to a League of Ireland game, there must be at least ten flying or ferrying their way over to Parkhead, Old Trafford or The Emirates every weekend. The amount of money that could be going into the Irish game that's going elsewhere is unbelievable.

In many ways its like nature. If the wildebeest, antelopes and zebras decline then the predators decline too. The prey species control the predators not the other way around. Likewise the Man Utds and Barcelonas need the AS Nancys, Chievos, Burys and Motherwells. To have a healthy and sustainable game the grass roots need to flourish too.

IF someone offered me the chance to go and watch Man Utd I'd definately be up for it providing I felt it was value for money. But I would never go and regularly watch them or any other team over Motherwell on a regular basis!!

Sadly I know of quite few folk from the Lanarkshire area who go and watch Man Utd regularly, and they used to go and watch Motherwell. I just don't get it, and it fucks me off a wee bit to be honest.

IF someone offered me the chance to go and watch Man Utd I'd definately be up for it providing I felt it was value for money. But I would never go and regularly watch them or any other team over Motherwell on a regular basis!!

Sadly I know of quite few folk from the Lanarkshire area who go and watch Man Utd regularly, and they used to go and watch Motherwell. I just don't get it, and it fucks me off a wee bit to be honest.

If Motherwell and Man Utd are playing on the same day it is no contest. Motherwell everytime. If Man Utd play on a Sunday, we have a weekend off etc. then (tickets permitting as I was knocked back in the ballot for a brief for the Liverpool game) I'll go down and see them. Next game should be Spurs at home in April as it is Sunday. I don't know how people can be bothered driving up the M6 every other weekend. 4/5 times a season is enough for me. The guys coming from Ireland to Rangers, Celtic, Man Utd, or Liverpool? Now that is some money spent right there. Don't know how they can afford it.

david obua and callum elliot up front. simples.

But seriously - I think the Hearts support was so low because it was the Calcutta Cup game at Murrayfield. Will have been a lot of Hearts fans either going to that, or watching that on the box with a few beers in the house/pub instead of heading through West to see them play us - when they've been pretty rank!

But seriously - I think the Hearts support was so low because it was the Calcutta Cup game at Murrayfield. Will have been a lot of Hearts fans either going to that, or watching that on the box with a few beers in the house/pub instead of heading through West to see them play us - when they've been pretty rank!

u could be right mate about the rugby putting off a few hearts fans coming through but i dont think it wouldve made any real difference to the attendance cause there support earlier in the season was pretty poor to.its the sign of the times cause hearts and aberdeen havny brought a big support to fir park for a while now