Mfc Trivia : Facts & Figures, Odds And Ends

trafficlight

I haven't seen a thread which is used to just in throw in any questions folk might have. If there is one, dump this in there, admins. :blush:

Anyway, the question that inspired this : The current 12 match unbeaten league run. Is this a club record, and if not, what is? Auld yins will know this.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 games unbeaten is very good. What about in the top division?

Another question but of a different kind. Will there be a new home strip next season?

We went 15 games unbeaten in 1994-95. Lost to Rangers at Ibrox on the openingday and didn't lost a league game until December 10, when a struggling Aberdeen won at Fir Park. My old man already disliked McLeish, despite the great start and insisted he'd played for a draw to assist his old team.

................... My old man already disliked McLeish, despite the great start and insisted he'd played for a draw to assist his old team.

Never liked the Ginger Tosser either, took us from 2nd top to 2nd bottom and bought utter shyte .............. wish him failure where ever he goes, media darling wanker.

Anyway, the question that inspired this : The current 12 match unbeaten league run. Is this a club record, and if not, what is? Auld yins will know this.

Dunno, but as I mentioned in the Hearts thread, it does equal the longest unbeaten run in the SPL outside the Old Firm. (Previously held by Hibs--earlier this season in fact--and Hearts).

What was our record in our league winning season?

Unbeaten runs of 19 and 14. We lsot twice;1-0 at Rugby Park in August and 1-0 at Ibrox on Boxing Day. We managed a 22 match unbeaten in 1933-34 from the start of the season until mid-December.

has anyone got a list of the top 20 players with the most appearances?

I have a post-war list somewhere but I'll need to find it and it will be a little out of date.

EDIT. OK, a little out of date but gives you a general idea. League appearances - it's not my list so I can't vouch for the veracity of it! I found it on the internet somewhere.

Obviously Stevie Hammell would be much higher up the list and Craigan has 200+ appearances. I think I'm right in saying David Clarkson would also make the 200+ list.

EDIT - Started updating it. Corrigan, Craigan, Hammell, Clarkson. Anyone else likely to have gone over the 200 league appearances mark?

Joe Wark - 469

Willie Kilmarnock - 452

John Johnston - 323

Charlie Aitken - 313

Archie Shaw - 313

John Philliben - 302

Andy Paton - 301

Stevie Kirk - 301

John Martis - 297

(Stevie Hammell - 291)

John Gahagan - 284

Willie McCallum - 277

Chris McCart - 260

Tom Boyd - 256

Dougie Arnott - 240 (I have Arnott on a final total of 253 league appearances)

(Stephen Craigan - 251 by my count)

Bert McCann - 246

Ian McLeod - 243

Martyn Corrigan - 208 (I have Corrigan on a final total of 242 league appearances)

Brian Martin - 237

Willie Hunter - 229

Willie Redpath - 226

(David Clarkson - 220 by my count)

Jim Forrest - 215

Andy Weir - 202

I have a post-war list somewhere but I'll need to find it and it will be a little out of date.

EDIT. OK, a little out of date but gives you a general idea. Not sure if this is total appearances rather than just league appearances cos it's not my list so I can't vouch for the veracity of it! I found it on the internet somewhere.

Obviously Stevie Hammell would be much higher up the list and Craigan has 200+ appearances. I think I'm right in saying David Clarkson would also make the 200+ list.

Joe Wark - 469

Willie Kilmarnock - 452

John Johnston - 323

Charlie Aitken - 313

Archie Shaw - 313

John Philliben - 302

Andy Paton - 301

Stevie Kirk - 301

John Martis - 297

John Gahagan - 284

Willie McCallum - 277

Chris McCart - 260

Tom Boyd - 256

Bert McCann - 246

Ian McLeod - 243

Dougie Arnott - 240

Brian Martin - 237

Willie Hunter - 229

Willie Redpath - 226

Jim Forrest - 215

Martyn Corrigan - 208

Andy Weir - 202

Stevie Hammell - 200

Legends all. :blush:

Legends all. :lol:

Ach, pish! :blush:

It is amazing to think that three of our current team are in the top 25 post-war for appearances, and that another eight are in the recent past (ie, my time) given that most people would tell you that the days of loyalty to a team and 'one club men' are over. I must admit to being surprised at that list.

EDIT. OK, a little out of date but gives you a general idea. League appearances - it's not my list so I can't vouch for the veracity of it! I found it on the internet somewhere.

EDIT - Started updating it.

Joe Wark - 469

Willie Kilmarnock - 452

John Johnston - 323

Charlie Aitken - 313

Archie Shaw - 313

John Philliben - 302

Andy Paton - 301

Stevie Kirk - 301

John Martis - 297

John Gahagan - 284

Willie McCallum - 277

(Stevie Hammell - 262 by my count)

Chris McCart - 260

Tom Boyd - 256

Bert McCann - 246

Ian McLeod - 243

Dougie Arnott - 240 (I have Arnott on 253 league appearances)

Brian Martin - 237

Willie Hunter - 229

Willie Redpath - 226

(David Clarkson - 217 by my count)

Jim Forrest - 215

Martyn Corrigan - 208

Andy Weir - 202

Going by the official site, Clarkson has 254, Lasley 219, Craigan 293 and Hammell 333

Ach, pish! B-)

It is amazing to think that three of our current team are in the top 25 post-war for appearances, and that another eight are in the recent past (ie, my time) given that most people would tell you that the days of loyalty to a team and 'one club men' are over. I must admit to being surprised at that list.

interesting list, dominated by guys from the ancell babes era and then equal reprsentation to tommy mclean's teams and more recently. The 70s seem undereprsented, maybe due to all the managerial changes?

the service we've got from guys from our youth system over the past decade has been amazing. hammell, craigan, lasley, clarkson, reynolds and quinn add up to about 1300 appearances between them.

Yeah that's what immediately struck me too. I've not long since turned 36 and have seen a dozen of those listed in the flesh.

I suppose if you are being picky you could say the more recent players had have the benefit of an increased number of subs avail to pick from - was something close to 100 of Johnny Gahagan's appearances not from the bench.

And pickier still there are more games nowadays, with the likes of Kirkie and Softy, and the others who were around in 80's even having some 44 game league campaigns to add extra games to their tally. But I think the point still stands that even today with the opportunities available to players to move on, under the right circumstances some right impressive service can be built up.

Craigan has been at the club a season longer than Hammell, but Hammell has spent the vast majority of his time here as a certain starter. Craigan wasn't really that when he was first here a lot of the time, then that tit Gannon left him out for half a season aswell. Testimonials are purely based on length of service, nowr to do with games played.

Joe Wark - 469

Willie Kilmarnock - 452

John Johnston - 323

Charlie Aitken - 313

Archie Shaw - 313

John Philliben - 302

Andy Paton - 301

Stevie Kirk - 301

John Martis - 297

(Stevie Hammell - 291)

John Gahagan - 284

Willie McCallum - 277

Chris McCart - 260

Tom Boyd - 256

Dougie Arnott - 240 (I have Arnott on a final total of 253 league appearances)

Bert McCann - 246

Ian McLeod - 243

Martyn Corrigan - 208 (I have Corrigan on a final total of 242 league appearances)

Brian Martin - 237

Willie Hunter - 229

Willie Redpath - 226

(David Clarkson - 220 by my count)

Jim Forrest - 215

Andy Weir - 202

Wait a minute - been reading these boards for a few years now and aren't all these guys pish/non-legendary? :lol::ph34r:

I stand by my non-legendary assesment of Corrigan - certainly never said he was pish though!

The five players from that list who played in the '52 Cup Final are legendary, as is Joe Wark, Stevie Kirk and a few more. Corrigan, Clarkson and even Tom Boyd (maybe) for me, just aren't. I really like Corrigan and Clarkson - two of my favourite Motherwell players of recent years, but they're just not legends. I feel like I am criticising them by saying that, but I'm not.

As for Tom Boyd, being a Cup-winning captain probably gives you legendary status by default - I just don't like him.