Post Split Fixtures

Iain7_mfc

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial reaction was one of rage. Someone in the top six was going to get 20 away games as four of the teams (celtic, united, us and Hearts) had played 17 away and 16 home before the split. So given it was us them turning the games with Hibs and Celtic is probably a favour to us as nine times out of ten we will take more points from Hibs (h) and Celtic (a). We also have a free game in Glasgow on Tuesday night. Assuming we lose that we have a four point lead with five to play. If we can beat United on the Sunday it is pretty likely the Glasgow teams will beat the Edinburgh ones in Glasgow. Therefore we seven ahead of Hearts with four to play and level with Hibs. Assuming Celtic come 2nd and United win the cup that should be too much of a gap for Hearts to catch and Europe is guaranteed. Given we have a home game with Hibs and they also have a shitty run in its heads and tails for fourth. The split has its abnormalities and its annoying that our season ticket has been devalued by losing a home game but I think these fixtures give us a chance to get the points on the board early before we go into Glasgow to get us our aim. Its still very much in our hands.

I also guess Rangers' usual end-of-season performance could see us get a result there at long last given it would mean more to us. Not the first time we've gone there in that kind-of situation and got three points, done it twice in the past.

All,

I've two views about this; revenue and football.

Revenue: agree with everything posted earlier regarding 18 home games and 20 away over a season. And I think at a minimum the Club should point out to the SPL that season-ticket holders have lost out by over 5% (1/19 x 100) because of this. Independent of whether the Old Filth are visiting or not; at the start of the season, there was an expectation of a certain number of home games that now will not be realised. 5%, though is a significant figure as it has been a long time since we have seen inflation at this level in the UK.

I am sure that Leeann can make this point more articulately than I can.  :lol:

Football, though, let's look at the facts:

The pitch has been in a mess for a while. Our style of football is better suited to playing on good surfaces than not.

Hibs are in free-fall. Celtic are shocking. Rangers ought to be playing their youngsters on the last day of the season. We have beaten Hearts twice at home and narrowly lost away in the first game after Gannon left. We shouldn't fear going to Tynie.

This leaves Dundee United. Under Levein, they were cloggers and could do the same next weekend, especially on a poor pitch. I've not seen them under Houston, though their league position doesn't lie.

Despite the injustice, I do believe that we can achieve fourth as long as we don't lose to the Arabs next weekend; however bizarre the time.

Just my 5p.

SD 

My email to the SPL

Dear Sir/Madam

After reviewing the Post split fixtures I have to say I am utterly disgusted.

You once again have shown that you do not care about the smaller temas and the fans. I am a Motherwell fan and once again you have given Motherwell 3 away games which means again this season we will have 18 home games and 20 away games. You would think it can't get any worse...........well you would be wrong. We have Celtic and Rangers away from home after the split. Why do we have to go to Celtic Park 3 times this season?

This is putting us to a disadvantage not only in our fight for Europe but is a disadvantage financially.

Once again you have proven that the split is a joke and that you do not care about the fans of the Scottish game. The SPL constantly panders to the wishes of the Old Firm.

I would be grateful if whoever reads this email will reply but as I am a fan I don't think I will get one.

Yours faithfully

Michael Rooney

An irate Motherwell fan (yes one of the diddy teams)

is it utd who have 20 home games?

could we not get the gate receipts of their extra match?

No - its someone in the bottom half. In the top half four teams had played 17 away before the split and in the bottom half four of them had played 17 home games.

The fixtures are a joke. Not one visit to Fir Park on a Saturday. 3 trips to Parkhead over the course of the season. An uneven spread of home and away games. What a lot of shite.

The whole system is designed to favour the Old Firm, could you imagine if Rangers or Celtic were given an uneven spread of home and away games? There would be uproar! Why are we even surprised though?!

I hope the club has the balls to take them to task over this.

As I said earlier, why is it that neither of the Old Firm has ever had to play 18 home and 20 away since the SPL came into force? Would love it if the other clubs had the balls to say to the SPL.

As said elsewhere we have basically swapped with Aberdeen, had we finished in the bottom six as we were expected to finish we would have had 3H and 2A making 19H and 19A.

If you check Aberdeens fixtures they will probably have 3H and 2A post split making a 20H and 18A season for them.

Another anomaly of the split, we have bettered our 'seeded' finishing position and are penalised for it and Aberdeen have fell short of theirs and find themselves better off for it.

The reason that neither of the OF ever find themselves in this situation is that they always finish in the same section of the league that they are supposed to.

If I was being harsh I would say that this is down to our final league position last season, but in reality WTF has that got to do with events on the field this season.

The reason that neither of the OF ever find themselves in this situation is that they always finish in the same section of the league that they are supposed to.

But in the interests of fair play and equality, surely what the SPL claim to be all about, why should anyone be punished for doing well? And, why should they two get an exact 19-19 each season because they hold all the money and are guarenteed to finish in the top six?

Pretty sure neither Rangers nor Celtic have had a 20-18 or 18-20 split of games. Care to explain SPL?

thats just Paranoia speaking Rickoza, its happened

and as Scarecrow indicated its usually down to us and Aberdeen or the likes jumping in and out the top six, from colleagues I know Rangers have been to Pittordrie three times a season

the change in six team messes up the fixtures year in year out

but the real problem is the fact that with 38 games the league cannot possibly be a fair and proper competition, at the top or the bottom

every teams supporters have had their grievances since 2001

the only guarantee is the two bigots will pay each other home n away twice, if they both finish in the same half.. and thats as much to do with civil obediance as football.

But hey the member clubs ARE THE SPL so why has it not changed?