Michael Fraser

HonkyMcHonK

But what has being 6ft got to do with that? Casillas and Valdes (two of the top 5 keepers in the world) are both smaller than him (granted both are both shaker under cross balls :lol: ) but that has nothing to do with height!

If height was the main factor, how do you explain Ruddy's ability to be lobbed from 18 yards out?

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont claim to be a goalkeeping expert but if he is only 6ft and 11stone he will have a pretty tough time in the aerial battles that ensue on a weekly basis in the SPL against big daft forwards like Kyle or centre-backs like Kenneth and Dods.

I dont think there is much point in discussing this anyway as Shagger Broon has virtually said that Hollis will be back-up to A.N. Other, and that Fraser is likely to be on his way out the door.

But what has being 6ft got to do with that? Casillas and Valdes (two of the top 5 keepers in the world) are both smaller than him (granted both are both shaker under cross balls :lol: ) but that has nothing to do with height!

Hopefully now that you see it written down, you can see how obvious the answer is and folk don't have to bother explaining it?

John Ruddy had 1 appearance at Everton and had spent the rest of his career making 5 appearances for Walsall here, 3 appearances for Rushden & Diamonds there.

Lukas Jutkiewicz had a grand total of 5 goals in 5 years as a professional and hadn't scored since 2007 when he arrived at Fir Park

Tom Hateley was released by Reading without making a single appearance for the team and had 15 games in the Conference South as the sum of his career up to that point.

You could have quite easily written all of these guys off on their record before they came to Fir Park but every one of them turned out to be much better than could have possibly been expected from their career stats.

Give Hollis a chance before you judge him.

I can see why folk are a bit nervous with the signing of Hollis with the lack of appearances over the years. But as you pointed out that we signed folk last season whos stats were not that good on paper but they became arguably our best players last season. Hopefully he gets a chance and does well for us I wish him all the best for this season.

John Ruddy had 1 appearance at Everton and had spent the rest of his career making 5 appearances for Walsall here, 3 appearances for Rushden & Diamonds there.

Lukas Jutkiewicz had a grand total of 5 goals in 5 years as a professional and hadn't scored since 2007 when he arrived at Fir Park

Tom Hateley was released by Reading without making a single appearance for the team and had 15 games in the Conference South as the sum of his career up to that point.

You could have quite easily written all of these guys off on their record before they came to Fir Park but every one of them turned out to be much better than could have possibly been expected from their career stats.

Give Hollis a chance before you judge him.

John Ruddy made his debut as an 18 year-old and quickly attracted the attention of a whole host of top clubs in England. He was touted as an England 'keeper of the future and seems to have been impressive when on loan in the English lower leagues.

Jutkiewicz made his debut as a 17 year old and then got a move to Everton for £1m. He was rubbish in his other loan spells.

Hateley was a 20 year old stop-gap signing after being released by Reading. Better clubs than Reading and better players than Hateley have been mistakenly released.

Hollis is a 24 'keeper who hasn't been able to cement a regular place in an Airdrie side who keep getting relegated. I've no idea if Stewart Kerr's a good judge of a player and haven't seen Hollis play. I'm only "judging" him based on his rubbishy career record.

I'll certainly give him a chance but you can't expect people on a messageboard to be enthused by this signing. Anyway, I'd take it as read that folk should give him a chance and wait to see him play before he gets the full boo-boy treatment.

The arguement that Stewart Kerr has worked with Hollis, therefore he must be good does not really work for me. The classic example is the Andy Roddie situation with McLeish. McLeish had worked with Roddie at Aberdeen and was prepared to pay a reasonable sum for him to come to Well. There was a buzz at the time when he arrived but we all know how that turned out.

On the height and weight front, these two attributes are important for an SPL goalkeeper. Set pieces and cross balls have been an issue for Well for a few seasons now (largely because of Craigan and Reynolds in my opinion). Ruddy papered over these cracks because he played so well. His ability at cross balls is largely down to his presence in the box (e.g height and weight).

I have not been a fan of Craigan for some time and yet we are stuck with him for yet another season (I know that is an unpopular view). The goalkeeper is going to have to be excellent to compensate. Fraser got a hard time and in some ways rightly so but the protection and assistance he was getting was non existant. (pass backs included). For me Ruddy made our season. I think we would have been losing goals as per the end of the season, all season had he not been there. We need a top notch keeper.

The arguement that Stewart Kerr has worked with Hollis, therefore he must be good does not really work for me. The classic example is the Andy Roddie situation with McLeish. McLeish had worked with Roddie at Aberdeen and was prepared to pay a reasonable sum for him to come to Well. There was a buzz at the time when he arrived but we all know how that turned out.

Were McLeish and Roddie not related via eithers marriage?? I recall hearing that Roddie was a relation of McLeish's wife.

Could be one of the many Motherwell Myths right enough.

I can see why folk are a bit nervous with the signing of Hollis with the lack of appearances over the years. But as you pointed out that we signed folk last season whos stats were not that good on paper but they became arguably our best players last season. Hopefully he gets a chance and does well for us I wish him all the best for this season.

i too wish him all the best i was just saying that from what i've heard he doesn't sound that good

All i will say is he canny be worst than Fraser as last season he had a nightmare.

Still expect Ruddy to be No1 next season as Paw Broon has asked for cash to spend to maintain top 6 and i just see the Europa League as a competetive pre-season.

Were McLeish and Roddie not related via eithers marriage?? I recall hearing that Roddie was a relation of McLeish's wife.

Could be one of the many Motherwell Myths right enough.

It very much is a myth!! I spoke to Andy Roddie a few years back and put that point to him, and he found it very funny indeed!!

Hopefully now that you see it written down, you can see how obvious the answer is and folk don't have to bother explaining it?

And if you watched either Valdes or Casillas shakeyness at crosses has nothing to do with the fact of their height. The tallest keepers in the world have problem with cross balls as well. Coming for a cross is all about placement and timing. Not the height of the keeper or attacker.

The very best Scotland has to offer - Craig Gordon - 6ft 4in is probably one of the worst at coming for crosses. In fact he's that bad Bruce supposedly told him to allow his defence to deal with cross balls :lol:

What about Tom Heaton of Man Utd.Seems a decent goalie and must be better than Fraser

What are his strengths? Or is he another Iain Turner? Good in a computer game but nobody's actually seen him play. Perhaps trafficlight knows?