Mcglinchey Named In Nz World Cup Squad

numpty

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/world_cup/...-MAN-SQUAD.html

NEW ZEALAND coach Ricki Herbert is certainly organised as he's named his 23-man World Cup squad already!

The Kiwis are planning already for the Finals even though they are not due to submit their final party until June 1.

Their opposition in South Africa will be Italy, Paraguay and Slovakia in Group F.

Captain Ryan Nelsen's wife is due to give birth during the tournament but he is obviously included along with surprise name Aaron Clapham.

The midfielder was named Player of the Year at Canterbury United and is rewarded with a call-up to the big time.

"I'm not one to usually have sleepless nights but this has been a very difficult job settling on the final pieces of the jigsaw," said Herbert, who represented the All Whites on their last appearance at this level in 1982.

"Aaron has come in to this group and looked very comfortable. He is the type of player that should be around the international scene for many years and he has a big future in the professional game."

Rory Fallon, Chris Killen, Tommy Smith and Chris Wood are all based at Championship clubs while Motherwell's Michael McGlinchey is also included.

The only other uncapped player, besides Clapham, is Winston Reid of FC Midtjylland in Denmark.

Squad: James Bannatyne (Team Wellington), Glen Moss (Melbourne Victory) Mark Paston (Wellington Phoenix); Andy Boyens (New York Red Bulls), Tony Lochhead (Wellington Phoenix), Ryan Nelsen (Blackburn), Winston Reid (FC Midtjylland), Ben Sigmund (Wellington Phoenix), Tommy Smith (Ipswich Town), Ivan Vicelich (Auckland City); Andy Barron (Team Wellington), Leo Bertos (Wellington Phoenix), Jeremy Brockie (Newcastle Jets), Tim Brown (Wellington Phoenix), Jeremy Christie (Tampa Bay Rowdies), Aaron Clapham (Canterbury United), Simon Elliott (unattached), Michael McGlinchey (Motherwell), David Mulligan (unattached); Rory Fallon (Plymouth), Chris Killen (Middlesbrough), Shane Smeltz (Gold Coast), Chris Wood (West Brom).

I wouldn't say so. Played about 60 minutes total for us. Not really his fault, he joined at the start of the run after Brown arrived. Plus his services are retained by another club. We just facilitated his services for 5 months.

I really hope the club didn't pay too much if anything for his services. His club didn't need him as it was their off season and the whole reason for loaning players is they gain experience elsewhere and you get some or all of their wages paid. He was over here to increase his profile and keep him match fit, purely a request for assistance from MFC rather than us needing him.

I also don't know if when footballers are quoted as getting £8k per week if that's over 52 weeks or just the duration of the season.

Worth a punt, take it we can offer more wages than the Ozzy A League, or is the SPL in such a bad state?

Evident that Boyle has had to dip into his pocket this season due to the Celtic fixture, pitch and league place (I'm in no doubt they probably thought 10th was probable 1 year ago when they were formulating the next budget so we've £250k up on what they thought no doubt).

Can't help feeling the extra £75 from 5th to 4th place finish may have been the catalyst to secure at least one of the half dozen players who are returning to their clubs or moving on).

Worth a punt, take it we can offer more wages than the Ozzy A League, or is the SPL in such a bad state?

Evident that Boyle has had to dip into his pocket this season due to the Celtic fixture, pitch and league place (I'm in no doubt they probably thought 10th was probable 1 year ago when they were formulating the next budget so we've £250k up on what they thought no doubt).

Can't help feeling the extra £75 from 5th to 4th place finish may have been the catalyst to secure at least one of the half dozen players who are returning to their clubs or moving on).

remember the £80,000 odd we got for the tv yesterday ;)