19th Anniversary 18.05.91

gordy

It is really scary to think that it has been 19 years since our brilliant Scottish Cup win.

When we beat Smellic in the Semi Final Replay, (courtesy of Dooooooogie's double, Psycho's 40 yard screamer and Super sub Kirkies clincher). I was counting the minutes until the Final. :wub:

The night before, I couldn't sleep, despite drinking a copious amount of alcoholic beverages, (to calm the nerves of course B-) )

After about 2 hours sleep it was off to my Dads house where there was my Dad, my uncle, my brother, my nephew and I. All bedecked in Claret and Amber.

We had breakfast of black pudding sandwiches and bottles of San Miguel, (Classy and Cosmopilitan) :doh: , then it was off to the Dalziel Arms to get the bus to the game.

To you guys, who, like me, had witnessed defeat in 5 previous semi finals, getting to the Final was brilliant.

The Town Centre was all Claret and Amber. (The council even had a competition for the best dressed shop window in Well colours. and we actually had shops then).

We got on the bus and it was like a mass exodus from Motherwell. I think most pubs ran busses and people were getting trains as well (I'll not mention the train that broke down).

When we got to Hampden it was absolutely brilliant. The amount of Well fans was phenomenal.

The game itself went by in a flash, although a last minute equaliser by Utd was like a kick in the ging gangs.

However, Kirkie got the winner in extra time and when Tam Boyd lifted that cup, the tears were flowing :woop: (but not flowing as much as the vintage champagne and Buckfast when we got home to Motherwell).

The pubs were also selling beer at 1952 prices to recognise our first Scottish Cup win. :cheers:

They were all mobbed and I am sure everyone who was there will have their own memories of a very special weekend and one of the best times of my life.

Well done to Dundee Utd the celebrations brought all my memories back of our time as Cup Winners. :nod:

To all you youngsters who weren't there. When we do get to a Cup Final again, take it all in and savour it. It is the ultimate of being a Motherwell fan.

I 'm hiring a limo for the next Cup Final. B-)

I remember turning up at Hampden & being amazed at how many Well fans were there but i also remember turning up at Fir park for the first home game the next season & being amazed that they had all disappeared again.

Must've been all smoke & mirrors :angry:

I remember being in Scruples in Mossend and the dj (Jimmy Graham) held his usual pub quiz. Normal rules wen out the window. Only question that night was: Name the starting eleven who won the cup. When the highlights started on the telly he switched the muic off, handed me the mike and got me to put it up to the tv lol.

Later that night I ended up in Zanzibars. As I walked into the placce I bumped into a "Psycho" who was pissed as a fart. Great Day

It is really scary to think that it has been 19 years since our brilliant Scottish Cup win.

I'd love to say it seems like yesterday but frankly it doesn't!

Cup wins seem to be almost a once in a generation thing for Motherwell fans, I just hope the younger fans get to experience in the future what we older fans did in the past.

I remember being in Scruples in Mossend and the dj (Jimmy Graham) held his usual pub quiz. Normal rules wen out the window. Only question that night was: Name the starting eleven who won the cup. When the highlights started on the telly he switched the muic off, handed me the mike and got me to put it up to the tv lol.

Later that night I ended up in Zanzibars. As I walked into the placce I bumped into a "Psycho" who was pissed as a fart. Great Day

''psycho'' had been asked to leave the fir park club earlier that night due to his song selection :lol:

cup.jpg

I meant to post this a few times in the past. We stumbled across this photo again a few weeks back. Great memories come flooding back but tinged with a bit of sadness.

I love this photo which was taken by my brother-in law (SCDave's old man) when we all went down to Fir park on the 19th to see the parading of the cup. Look at the claret and amber ribbons against the sky - beautiful is it no'?

Unfortunatey like most of us we've lost some of the folk that were there with us that day. Dave's old man being one of them, who passed away in 96 (way way too early) and within a few months of my own old man, both dedicated 'well fans who we travelled the length and breadth of the country with following the team. In '91 dave was about 5 or so and just getting into the ways of following the dossers and must have been absolutely taken aback with what was going on at hampden and around fir park / motherwell town centre the following day. I'm glad he also managed to get to Dortmund with his dad to see that brilliant display at the Westfalen.

I look at the photo and remember the day and the magnitude of the achievement and remember what it was like to be there with family and friends. And look at Phil and Jamie on that bus - and Coop who was out of that particular shot. And think about Muir (dave's dad) behind the camera and my old man standing beside us. Unbelievably rich memories but very sad at the same time.

Brings it all home to me that there's much more to being a well fan that should be appreciated and celebrated than we do at times. It's about us all - friends, mates, family - gathering in the stands cheering on 11 guys knocking their pan in.

Results good or bad, a pass or save made or not, a string of results is hee haw in the grand scheme of things.

I hope we get the chance to experience this again. I appreciate it more - every time I think back!

C'mon the Dossers!

Couldn't agree more. I came up from Sheffield with a load of Blades fans(and a solitary Mansfield lad); went out in Embra on the Friday, got pished and ended up visiting an old friend :lol:

Saturday came across to Wishaw, bus into the stadium and bumping into faces I hadn't seen in 10years' the blur of the game, pacing up and down the back of the terracing praying for the final whistle, getting stranded as the tit that was the bus driven got LOST!!!! cadging lifts from all and sundry to get back and getting even more pished on the Sat. Too many memories to put here but always brings a smile to my face even as has been said above alot of the faces there that day are gone now.

All the English lads loved it and still talk about "the best final" they'd ever seen...

Mind you being Blades/Stags fans glory is a bit in short supply :(

Jeezo Diggle! Tearjerker if ever there was one!

I can only echo what you said though, think my first game was before the final but it's the final that sticks in my mind. Although I can't remember too much about the game (I was too busy swinging on the crash barriers, or falling off it when a goal went in) I can still remember the whole hype of the morning, leaving from the Station Hotel in Shotts, walking into the ground buying my flag.

The next day with the parade was tremendous, was the whole family heading in to see the guys, we've still got a belter of a photo from that day.

Unfortunately for me, I think working at FP now is really taking away any passion from the game, mainly folk on places like these boards talking absolute nonsense with their "insider info". This summer is just getting too much to handle with "confirmed sponsors" and rumours about the kit with people claiming they know this, that and the next thing when I know for a fact it's nonsense. I'm not getting involved, I'm not going to confirm or deny anything, I tried previously to come on and answer queries about bits and pieces which just lead to folk having a go at me. That's not what Motherwell should be about.

I wish I could get that attitude of 91 days back, when I cared about the team, the results and nothing else. These days it's all about money, ego's, folk trying to be the man who knows it all and people getting involved in things they really don't have a clue about. It's a shame.

took my father to the final[he was at the 52 cup final] :O

My Dad was on National Service with the RAF at the time of the 52 final.

So for him to be there in 91 was extra special. (He passed away in 2000).

took my father to the final[he was at the 52 cup final] :nod:

I ran a bus from JD's and both my parents came along. My father had always spoken about the '52 cup run:- How he had to sit on the pitch the night of the Rangers replay (36,000 my arse he used to say), and the exodus from Shotts for the Final.

He was the 1st person I looked for when I got back on the bus after the game. "Well dad, was that better than the '52 cup-final ?" I said. "Of course it was son, and don't you forget it", he replied. Both our eyes filled up as we gave each other a knowing glance and a wink, as I thought back to those days in the mid 60's when he used to sit me on his knee in the main stand.

Cancer took my father in 1998. There never passes a day that I don't think fondly of the man, and I will never forget him ....... nor those 2 amazing days in May 1991. :P

Quite right big Special. The father-son relationship is often the most difficult in a family - due to male difficulties with self expression and also competition as the son grows up - but it can also become the most nuanced in terms of mutual understanding. As a teenager, I remember how difficult my relationship with my dad was, yet now we're best friends; the football providing many good memories, and I hope there are many years of it to come.

Fitba used to be the only reason I spoke to my dad. 'Whits the score?' or 'Any news the day son?' being as far as we would get. We talk more now and that, but if it wasn't for football me and my dad wouldn't have talked for the first 15 years of my life.