Seeding In Europa League Rnd 3

ekwellfan

Been following bert kassies site with interest since we qualified. We are currently 16th seed in round 2 which will easily make us a seeded team. Hibs have the same ranking as us in round 3 and are 18th seeds. This makes us 34th seed in round 3 should we qualify as the draw for round 3 is before round is completed which means the seeding doesn't change.

FC Viktoria Plzen have qualified from the Czech republic as one of the current unknown teams and have a lower ranking than us. The other unknown that could overtake us depends on the result in the spanish cup final between Atletico Madrid and seville.

If madrid win Getafe will be in Round 3 (higher ranked) and if Seville win FC Nordsjælland will be in round 3 (lower ranked)

I think therefore we will be ranked 34th or 35th out of 70 and therefore seeded in round 3 :D

Feel free to argue

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds about right as for the third round last year we where 5 places of being seeded i think...

My worry with being seeded is you get sent to some mob in eastern europe in 30 degree heat and also being unseeded would mean we could possibly get a glamour tie!

I would personally be delighted as it would

1) give us a better chance of getting to the play off round increasing our revenue and our club co-efficient .

2) Give us the possibility of being within 1 round of making the league stage before we have to play a 'glamour team'

3) Allow us to still be in Europe when the season starts proper!

Obviously if we lost to a lower ranked team in round 3 that would be disappointing but there is still a good chance of pulling out a relative minnow and earning the right to guarantee a glamour tie

I've been looking at last year's seedings/coefficients:

Aberdeen really let the country down losing to that Czech mob. :ph34r:

Of the 70 teams in the Steaua round, we were one of only seven teams that started in the first qualifying round. Only one of these seven, Bnei Yehuda of Israel got through that tie.

I think this means that despite the complexity, the coefficients do help the larger teams or (teams from 'better' associations) progress.

I think I agree with ekwellfan, though I am just happy that we are there. :lol:  

SD

I understand peoples optimism but this is Motherwell we're talking about - we've still got Round 2 to negotiate. Jumping the gun in checking out who we could play in the next round makes any defeat seem all the more worse. Look at this years Scottish Cup for example.

Lets look forward to who we could be playing in the 2nd round first of all.

I understand peoples optimism but this is Motherwell we're talking about - we've still got Round 2 to negotiate. Jumping the gun in checking out who we could play in the next round makes any defeat seem all the more worse.

Ach we done that last year when we got Flamurtari, let's enjoy the fact we have a chance of getting through in case we don't. :lol:

I have a question...

Obviously, the games will be on 15th and 22nd July. And the draw is on June 21st, and in that draw we find out that we will be playing Team A or Team B, and we won't know which one it is until July 8th, but will we find out on June 21st if we are at home first or second? I assume the answer is yes, but I just want to be certain so I can make plans.

I have a question...

Obviously, the games will be on 15th and 22nd July. And the draw is on June 21st, and in that draw we find out that we will be playing Team A or Team B, and we won't know which one it is until July 8th, but will we find out on June 21st if we are at home first or second? I assume the answer is yes, but I just want to be certain so I can make plans.

I'm 99.9999999% sure we will. But I have been wrong before :lol:

Complicating factor

Randers Fc of denmark have got the 3rd Fair play place and are higher ranking than us. This drops us down to 35th of the 70 teams. If Seville win the Spanish cup on 22nd May we will stay seeded but if Atletico Madrid win we will drop to 36th as Getafe will be in Round 3 instead of Nordsjælland .

This will make us unseeded but Hibs would remain seeded. That would irritate me somewhat !

Complicating factor

Randers Fc of denmark have got the 3rd Fair play place and are higher ranking than us. This drops us down to 35th of the 70 teams. If Seville win the Spanish cup on 22nd May we will stay seeded but if Atletico Madrid win we will drop to 36th as Getafe will be in Round 3 instead of Nordsjælland .

This will make us unseeded but Hibs would remain seeded. That would irritate me somewhat !

So;

2nd Qual Round - seeded

3rd Qual Round unseeded

similar to 'last' season?

Complicating factor

Did they change the date of that cup final? I am just wondering because what would happen if any of the finalists were in the Champions league final. It just seems stupid to schedule yoour national cup final on the same day as one of the biggest matches in club football history.

Complicating factor

Motherwell will definitely be seeded in both 2nd and 3rd Qualifying Rounds (if we make it) both Hibs and ourself hold the same coefficient we will be ranked above them due to our coefficient being more recent ie: last year.

The final placings will be settled after tonight's Sevilla v Athletico Copa del Rey Final.

If Sevilla win we're both seeded us 34th Hibs 35th but an Athletico win bumps us down to 35th and last seed and Hibs unseeded.