Seeding In Europa League Rnd 3

ekwellfan

Motherwell will definitely be seeded in both 2nd and 3rd Qualifying Rounds (if we make it) both Hibs and ourself hold the same coefficient we will be ranked above them due to our coefficient being more recent ie: last year.

The final placings will be settled after tonight's Sevilla v Athletico Copa del Rey Final.

If Sevilla win we're both seeded us 34th Hibs 35th but an Athletico win bumps us down to 35th and last seed and Hibs unseeded.

Is this true? Even if Hibs have been entered as Scotland's second qualifier and we are Scotland's third qualifier?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this true? Even if Hibs have been entered as Scotland's second qualifier and we are Scotland's third qualifier?

Its nothing to do with with which round you enter.

The coefficients of all Scottish clubs are;

Rangers 56.158

Celtic 38.158

Aberdeen 12.158

Hearts 7.658

Motherwell 6.158

Hibernian 6.158

Falkirk 5.658

All other 5.158

Our's is more recent to Hibs so we're ranked above them

Rangers 56.158

Celtic 38.158

Aberdeen 12.158

Hearts 7.658

Motherwell 6.158

Hibernian 6.158

Falkirk 5.658

All other 5.158

And rightly so. :lol:

Rangers 56.158

Celtic 38.158

Aberdeen 12.158

Hearts 7.658

Motherwell 6.158

Hibernian 6.158

Falkirk 5.658

All other 5.158

If that is at all true its fucking awesum. One of my mates is a Dundee United fan and proper fundamentalist. I will enjoy telling him we'd be seeded higher than them should we make it through to the final qualifying round.

First part right, second part wrong.

They will take on the Scottish level which is 5.158 and is lower than ours.

Not that it would really make a difference, the quality of teams that will be in that pot will mean any scottish team outwith the old firm, would be unseeded at that stage.

Asked the big seedings / league set up brain on P&B whether or not the result of the Spanish cup final tonight would have an effect on whether we're seeded in the third round if we qualify. His reply:

Depends on results. Last season the cut-off was 7.826 / 7.633 but of course things could be different this year. If more non-seeded teams defeated seeded teams, you'd have a better chance. So at the moment it's basically too early to say the likelihood of Motherwell or Hibs being seeded in QR3.

Regarding False Light's point... if the cut-off came right down on 6.158, Hibs would be seeded and Motherwell unseeded by merit of league position.

Guest 'Flow

I too thought it was down to the most recent participation in European football as opposed to the League position or qualification method.

One to check with the beaks at the SFA me thinks...

Interesting stuff!

EDIT: Just spoke to the relevant person at the SFA who isn't 100% sure at the moment (his gut feeling is that it is league position and not the most recent European participation) but he is due to get all the information from UEFA on Monday which should make things clearer.

:thumbup: Seville's win last night means that Hibs and Motherwell will be seeded in the last 2 seeding places in round 3. Obviously we have to win against whoever we are drawn against in round 2 but it gives us a better chance of getting to the play off round and it could be that there are 4 Scottish teams in that round if Celtic get punted out of Champions league qualifying (which is likely)

:lol: Seville's win last night means that Hibs and Motherwell will be seeded in the last 2 seeding places in round 3. Obviously we have to win against whoever we are drawn against in round 2 but it gives us a better chance of getting to the play off round and it could be that there are 4 Scottish teams in that round if Celtic get punted out of Champions league qualifying (which is likely)

Confirmed. .......

Europa League boost for Hibs as John Hughes' side are placed among third round seeds

May 21 2010 By Alan Marshall

HIBS' hopes of qualifying for the Europa League group stage soared last night when they earned a place among the seeds.

The boost came after Sevilla beat Atletico Madrid 2-0 in the Spanish Cup Final.

The result promoted Getafe, who have a higher co-efficicent than Hibs, into the play-offs and kept Norwegians Nordsjaelland, who have a lower co-efficient, in the third qualifying round.

The Easter Road club were expected to be unseeded in the draw on July 16, placing them in line for a tough draw against a side such as Liverpool, Juventus, Sporting Lisbon, Stuttgart or Galatasaray.

Now they have an improved chance of joining Dundee United in the play-offs for the group stage.

Should Motherwell progress from the second qualifying round, in which they will be seeded, they will also be seeded with Hibs in the draw for the third round.

Both clubs have the same co-efficient but Motherwell will be one place above their SPL rivals in the rankings because of their participation in last season's tournament.

However, all of Scotland's three representatives would be unseeded in the play-offs and would risk ties against sides such as Porto, PSV, Bayer Leverkusen, PSG, Manchester City and Aston Villa.

I am dreaming already :mellow:

Just what I was thinking... for a club like us, that's not a "risk", that's a "result"!

Of course it would be fantastic to get the group stages, but realistically -- nae chance. So a glamour tie before we wave cheerio is probably about the best we can hope for.

We still have a 2nd round hurdle to jump before we are in the glamour tie zone, in the same way we had a hurdle of seemingly easy ICT in the cup or Hibs at home to secure a 4th place finish, £75k extra prize money and guaranteed Europa qualification and everyone knows how that went.

Unsure how Ayr Utd is going to prepare us fully for the challenge as I think its safe to say meeting another team that travels as poorly as Flamurtari will not happen again.

If we do get through into the 3rd round then I think a Liverpool or German team would satisfy the ying and yang theory of being a Well supporter.

We still have a 2nd round hurdle to jump before we are in the glamour tie zone, in the same way we had a hurdle of seemingly easy ICT in the cup or Hibs at home to secure a 4th place finish, £75k extra prize money and guaranteed Europa qualification and everyone knows how that went.

Unsure how Ayr Utd is going to prepare us fully for the challenge as I think its safe to say meeting another team that travels as poorly as Flamurtari will not happen again.

If we do get through into the 3rd round then I think a Liverpool or German team would satisfy the ying and yang theory of being a Well supporter.

We can't get a Liverpool or a German team as we are a big boy just like them in the 3rd round :lol: .

I know we have a hurdle to jump in the 2nd round. That is why I said I was dreaming. :mellow: