Away Kits

fatcalf

RIght I have a photo of our Summer Cup win back in 1965, we wore an away kit of Claret body with an amber hoop, the reverse of our usual home kit basically. Anyone know if this was a one-off for the Final against Dundee Utd or did we use that for a few seasons? I know we wore what was known as the Floodlight strip in the early 60s (white with thin Claret & Amber hoop) so when did that one stop being worn if at all?

RIght I have a photo of our Summer Cup win back in 1965, we wore an away kit of Claret body with an amber hoop, the reverse of our usual home kit basically. Anyone know if this was a one-off for the Final against Dundee Utd or did we use that for a few seasons? I know we wore what was known as the Floodlight strip in the early 60s (white with thin Claret & Amber hoop) so when did that one stop being worn if at all?
will ask the old man tomorrow

I would hazzard a guess that away kits were rarely worn then, with teams prefering to use their home kit where possible.

I’ve always thought it would be good to try and catalogue all our away kits at some point. For this you would need access to club records where you would hope there should be information on all our home and away kits. Failing that, the SFA records should have a log of all registered kits for the different seasons.

The Summer Cup kit was a classic and individual players portraits were taken in the build up to the game. With few kits clashing with our unique home colour combination it was probably rarely required to be worn again.

I wonder what the reason was for wearing it in the first place. Surely Dundee United were wearing their then traditional white kit with black trims?

33o7kpl.jpg

x4q8o9.jpg

Apparently our Untouchables kits were going to be exactly like that but a last minute change of heart meant we opted for a collar the same colour as the rest of the jersey. Personally I think that looks cracking with the contrast collar.

Yon Historical kits site should have an away kit page as well, we've had some belting away kits.

Yon Historical kits site should have an away kit page as well, we've had some belting away kits.

It would be a mammoth task to do every UK teams away kit archive. It’s probably hard enough sourcing and detailing all the various home kits.

As I said before you would need access to club or SFA registered kit records. It would be nice though to have some sort of graphic/pictorial record of all our home and away kits. :D

It would be a mammoth task to do every UK teams away kit archive. It's probably hard enough sourcing and detailing all the various home kits.

As I said before you would need access to club or SFA registered kit records. It would be nice though to have some sort of graphic/pictorial record of all our home and away kits. :thumbup:

Agreed but I don't want every UK club done, I only want ours B-)

Agreed but I don't want every UK club done, I only want ours B-)

Have you kept a record of our away kit history Fatcalf? I’m not sure if the club have bothered keeping tabs. Dave at Historical Kits has been employed over the years to produce graphics of the home and away kit archive for some of the bigger clubs. Usually it is done with the help of a club historian.

He produced the Glasgow Rangers home and away kit archive for the Rangers Miscellany book, which was done with the help of Sandy Jardine. I’m sure Sandy is/was employed by Rangers as their official club historian.

A strip archive would be a welcome addition to the official club website or even a kit history book would be nice. :thumbup: It’s always sad when these important parts of a club history are lost.

Have you kept a record of our away kit history Fatcalf? I'm not sure if the club have bothered keeping tabs. Dave at Historical Kits has been employed over the years to produce graphics of the home and away kit archive for some of the bigger clubs. Usually it is done with the help of a club historian.

He produced the Glasgow Rangers home and away kit archive for the Rangers Miscellany book, which was done with the help of Sandy Jardine. I'm sure Sandy is/was employed by Rangers as their official club historian.

A strip archive would be a welcome addition to the official club website or even a kit history book would be nice. :thumbup: It's always sad when these important parts of a club history are lost.

Don't give me ideas B-)

I noticed flicking through the Shellic Miscellany that their kit history was included, we missed out on that one. I reckon I can provide details of most of our kits since I got them painted on my wee boys wall, cannae do the graphics but can provide pics for someone to copy them.

Ive got tons of info on old kits etc that I haven't included on my website yet. I will try and get stuff posted up here asap. I know we have had a Chocolate coloured away kit, an Inter Milan effort and who can forget the lime effort about 13 years ago.

I had the floodlight strip when I was a wee laddie back in the early 60's. My Granny bought it for me for my birthday (1962 or 1963) out of a sports shop in Station Road in Shotts. I dont remember ever seeing them wear this (although never saw a floodlight game) and dont think it survived much beyond this.I Remember being gutted when I got it because none of my mates belived it was a real Well strip!!

Ive got tons of info on old kits etc that I haven't included on my website yet. I will try and get stuff posted up here asap. I know we have had a Chocolate coloured away kit, an Inter Milan effort and who can forget the lime effort about 13 years ago.

Eh? When were these? Any photos?

What was our usual away kit back then?
asked my father today and from season 1944 on the only away tops he seen was the summer cup switch and an all white strip.you were right, we mainly wore the dd top for decades[in his words,then they started making a c**t of it :P ]

he said all the years he went there was never a brown strip

asked my father today and from season 1944 on the only away tops he seen was the summer cup switch and an all white strip.you were right, we mainly wore the dd top for decades[in his words,then they started making a c**t of it :lol: ]

he said all the years he went there was never a brown strip

So it was floodlight strip up to the Summer Cup one in 1965? After that the floodlight strip was never seen again, then it was an all white one, that right? Cheers :thumbup:

AM away tae find ma next question now that I have your attention. :nod:

I have a squad picture of them wearing this kit. :nod: It came with my original 'Up the Well' 45rpm single. If I find it I will post a scan.

I have that, is yours signed? Some of the signatures on mine look a bit scrawled so I don't know if they're fake or not.