Texaco Cup 1971, Motherwell V Hearts

Wellworn

Texaco Cup 1970-1971 : Semi-Final Second Leg Wednesday 3rd March 1971

Check out the crowd, the atmosphere and the park at this never to be forgotten game against the FHW. I was sixteen at the time and it was only my second season following the 'Well'

If my memory servers me right the corner when they equalized in injury time was never a corner and a few heads got bashed before, during, and after the game. One of the reasons why I'll always hate the FHW.

The one consolation is they got beat in the Final :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCvCzZK6xXI

Ist Leg 1-1

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/engla...1971/results/r1

Mentioned this game a few weeks ago and recalled that at 1-0 up in the last minute, one of our forwards were clean through from the half way line. If he ran to the corner flag etc and the ball went out of play, time was up. He went for goal, shot and beat the keeper. The ball crashed off the post and back into play. The Jambo's went straight up the park and scored in the last minute and then went on to win in extra time.

Can anyone confirm whether I've remembered this correctly?

I was only 12 years old and that was the first time i remember being gutted by losing a match

Same here Postiejim. Donald Ford broke a young boys heart that night.

I spoke to him about the game many years later at a local camera club meeting. I told him that there were three Semi Finals that scarred me for life. Rangers, Airdrie and that infamous Texaco Cup game. He’s actually a very nice guy and really talented photographer, despite the football crime he committed all those years ago.

Brilliant find by the way. I’ve not seen that footage since 1971.

Was at both games ,I was only 12 years old and that was the first time i remember being gutted by losing a match ,but those Texaco cup night were brilliant .

Was only 11, but I'm also pretty sure this was my earliest experience of being utterly gutted at a Well result.

Lived in Toll St at the time, and there was no end of hassle in the street as the crowd poured out - detested the jambos in equal measure to the Squirm since.

MON RA DOSSERS