Lets Go For It In Norway

Tartan Copper

After last weeks (Good result) poor performance, why not have a real go @them in Norway, all the talk is about holding out for a point, or even only losing by the odd goal.....and taking them to pieces in the return leg.... Forget that Browny lad, rumour has it the left back is slow (Steam Roller like) drop young hately either to right back or a place on the bench... Lets use young Humphrey to get behind them..... 4 out of 10 crosses into the box, aint bad especially if one of them hits Murphy on the back of the head and he scores... then taking a lead back to Scotland sounds much more promising, and then i think we will see a much more attacking game. Humphrey looked ok in the friendley match the other day, and so did Hugh if i am honest. Come on lads lets have a go.

After last weeks (Good result) poor performance, why not have a real go @them in Norway, all the talk is about holding out for a point, or even only losing by the odd goal.....and taking them to pieces in the return leg.... Forget that Browny lad, rumour has it the left back is slow (Steam Roller like) drop young hately either to right back or a place on the bench... Lets use young Humphrey to get behind them..... 4 out of 10 crosses into the box, aint bad especially if one of them hits Murphy on the back of the head and he scores... then taking a lead back to Scotland sounds much more promising, and then i think we will see a much more attacking game. Humphrey looked ok in the friendley match the other day, and so did Hugh if i am honest. Come on lads lets have a go.

Two words or rather one name suggests that will not happen - CRAIG BROWN.

That + we looked rather ordinary against the Icelandic team. I hope I am proved wrong, but I suspect the gameplan will be to keep it tight and hoepfully get a goal on the counter attack. I think we will need an away goal to get through this tie.

Still the target for us was always the play off round and the hope we get a glamour tie and some real income. If it takes a couple of dour games to do it - I would take that right now.

i have been chatting to english guy who stays in Norway and has for a fair few years.

The commentators have been talking up the game, saying we will be a hard team to break down. His comments are below.

Lee

(tall chap) He is dangerous in the air. He also wins a lot of long balls, heading down to players near him. That's part of their tactics. On the ground he's a bit slow, but strong. He looks like a viking with his long beard.

Watch out for the left winger/striker. He's good. Their goalie is one of the best playing in Norway now.

They will come at you all the time, thei work like hell.

I'm hoping to watch the game on TV.

no chance we will go for it and no chance Humph will play unfortunately. we will go 4-5-1 (Sutton wide left,Hateley right + Murph as target man) with zero creativity and nothing up front, this team may not be world beaters but they will be fitter + stronger than Breidablik and as much as I really want us to go through,our lack of replacing O`Brien + Lukas means the best we can hope for is to fluke a draw or lose but get an away goal.

no chance we will go for it and no chance Humph will play unfortunately. we will go 4-5-1 (Sutton wide left,Hateley right + Murph as target man) with zero creativity and nothing up front, this team may not be world beaters but they will be fitter + stronger than Breidablik and as much as I really want us to go through,our lack of replacing O`Brien + Lukas means the best we can hope for is to fluke a draw or lose but get an away goal.

an optimist i see

an optimist i see

I dont like saying what I said,but even Stevie Wonder could see were crying out for those replacements,coupled with our tendancy to defend cross balls,set pieces + corners like a primary school team (and were playing a team who will try do that for 180 minutes!) and I just feel were gonna struggle,

I really feel our best hope is to play Humphrey and counter them with his pace but with Humph playing in that friendly I dont think he is in Broons plans. If we go with Sutton through the middle and Murph + Humph wide we could do it but I cant see Pa Broon going with that.

Of course I could be talking out a hole in my arse + this team is really shite and we turn them over,but going by the fact theyre full time,in the middle of their league,play to their strength(which is our major weakness) and play at a far better level that Breidablik, I think were gonna need all the luck in the world or 2 amazing performances to make it through

None of us really know how good/bad/indifferent this team is, but what we do know is that Craig Brown was an expert in getting good results away from home as Scotland coach. I expert similar tactics to those employed in Iceland, but that the team will be sharper and fitter than those two games and will click a bit more going forward.

Its all about getting through, and if we can do that by defending well and counter attacking then so be it. At this stage we don't really have the players to approach it any other way.

our lack of replacing O`Brien + Lukas means the best we can hope for is to fluke a draw or lose but get an away goal.

This is what is disappointing me the most. I understand the need to take our time to ensure any money we spend is spent wisely. That + many players are holding off to see what other options appear on their radar.

but............

We do seem to be far behind a number of other SPL teams when it comes to adding to the squad. We may get through this tie comfortably and then again we may well struggle and lose. Which then begs the Q of whether if we had 2-3 replacements for Lukas and O'Brien would that have made a real difference. I hope we are not having that debate....

I expect the usual SPL is our bread and butter responses. But a tie against the likes of Liverpool or Man City could easily bring in £500k+, which is the equivalent to 2-3 old firm games! or 15-20%+ of our annual t/o. A lot is riding on these 2 games v Aalesund.

Of course we could get Metalist Kharkiv of the Ukraine........

Thats exactly it, It should have been no1 priority to get in someone with a little creativity from the day after the Breidablik first leg but nothing,not replacing the 2 straight away is understandable,but not even replacing 1?. We now have a fantastic chance of making a money spinning game against a real Euro power (or even drawing a lesser name and possibly fluking our way into the group stage!) and In my opinion we are in serious danger of blowing it.

I just cannot believe that in this economic climate, we could be within touching distance of £300k - £1m+ (our annual club turnover is £3.6m) and we could blow it due to an inability to bring in even 1 player in 4 weeks!

Thats exactly it, It should have been no1 priority to get in someone with a little creativity from the day after the Breidablik first leg but nothing,not replacing the 2 straight away is understandable,but not even replacing 1?. We now have a fantastic chance of making a money spinning game against a real Euro power (or even drawing a lesser name and possibly fluking our way into the group stage!) and In my opinion we are in serious danger of blowing it.

I just cannot believe that in this economic climate, we could be within touching distance of £300k - £1m+ (our annual club turnover is £3.6m) and we could blow it due to an inability to bring in even 1 player in 4 weeks!

Got to agree with these sentiments.

Yes money is tight but given the financial reward on offer, questions will be asked if we lose to this Norwegian mob. Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that.

When on form we have matched or been better than most teams in the SPL - this includes Rangers and Celtic. The problem is we have not really found that form since our 3-1 demolition of Hearts. If we could get that back then I would be more confident.

My worry is we still seem to lack that match sharpness and its causing us problems, especially at the back where we seem quite fragile.

Key players for me will be Lasley, Jennings and Murphy. They will hold the keys to unlocking this team I think.

Atleast we beat u at something. Aalesund annual turnover is currently around £8.5m, but sadly I dont think economy will have anything to say for these two matches :wallbash: