Kilmarnock Away 22nd August Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Na, no rotation for me, stongest side available should always be picked and if there's an injury someone in the squad comes in as a replacement. That's what their there for.Think about thursday after sunday has been taken care of.We got Celtic next week and then an away game don't want to be 4 games in and no points

I'd go

---------------Randolph----------------

Saunders Craigan Reynolds Hammell

----------Hately-----Jennings-----------

Humphrey------------------------Forbes

-----------------Murphy------------------

---------------Blackman-----------------

Wouldn't say no to that!

Changed my mind.

---------------Randolph----------------

Hateley Craigan Reynolds Hammell

----------Jennings-----Forbes-----------

Humphrey------------------------Fitzpatrick

-----------------Murphy------------------

---------------Blackman-----------------

There are a few variations, all of which seem pheasible but to be honest, i would put the strongest team out on Sunday available, as the SPL is still a priority for us. If things go well on Sunday i believe playing the second leg on the back of a win will have the team high on confidence.

Maybe like to see Blackman get a full game under his belt, as i get the feeling that he will come good for us. Perhaps give young Sutton a rest.

randolph

saunders craigan reynolds hammell

humphrey hateley jennings forbes

murphy blackman

give lasley and sutton a rest and audition forbes and blackman for the opening in the starting XI on thursday. i'd give blackman a shot on the left as well as up front and forbes on the left and in a 3.

With a defeat to our name already there is no way we can take a risk by fielding an weakened side.If we get through against Odense then great but it can't be at the expense of league points.

Agree with that.

Going to be positive and say 2-1 win for Motherwell.

Would like to see blackman start played well when he came on! Would rest lasley but that would be it we need three points out after losing first game to try and get into europe next year!

Got to agree with that, don't know how match fit he is but I think he'll offer something different up front. Looks like a big strong player who can take some really neat touches to get past folk. Not seen much in the way of shots on goal but seems like someone who can create his own chances while Sutton (and Murphy to an extent) are good for being in the right place at the right time to bang them in.

I don't. I would happily trade in league points on Sunday for a win next Thursday evening. The fact of the matter is that by qualifying for the Europa group stage we would in effect be screwing up our league campaign as we do not have a squad strong enough to cope on both fronts and injuries and tiredness would take their toll.

But the money to be made would set us up for a few seasons. That plus the SPL may be our bread and butter, but it is every year. Nah bring on Europa Group stage :whistling:

I would look to give Blackman either a starting place or a half as I believe he will do a Lukas and become our main striker in a v short time.

Arguably one of the best defences I've seen was the three at the back no? McCart, Martin and Krivokapic(sp)

Absolutely agree matey, but that team also had Rab Shannon and Rab McKinnon in it. Two guys who could go forward well, but crucially, defend too. The 'three at the back' line up didn't have any wide defensive players in it. Don't think we have the players to play that formation I'm afraid (although it would be my preferred way if we did).

With a defeat to our name already there is no way we can take a risk by fielding an weakened side.If we get through against Odense then great but it can't be at the expense of league points.

horse pish

every punter in Motherwell would rather take a win against Odense rather than killie and if it means resting players then so be it. If we get to the group stages it would be greatest achievement the club has done since finishing 2nd in the spl.

We have some mental fans.

horse pish

every punter in Motherwell would rather take a win against Odense rather than killie and if it means resting players then so be it. If we get to the group stages it would be greatest achievement the club has done since finishing 2nd in the spl.

We have some mental fans.

This.

I don't. I would happily trade in league points on Sunday for a win next Thursday evening. The fact of the matter is that by qualifying for the Europa group stage we would in effect be screwing up our league campaign as we do not have a squad strong enough to cope on both fronts and injuries and tiredness would take their toll.

But the money to be made would set us up for a few seasons. That plus the SPL may be our bread and butter, but it is every year. Nah bring on Europa Group stage :thumbup:

I would look to give Blackman either a starting place or a half as I believe he will do a Lukas and become our main striker in a v short time.

Question, would you take relegation in exchange for us qualifying for the Europa League Group Stage?

You say the SPL is our 'bread and butter, but it is every year' but as you also rightly point out, our squad isn't strong enough to cope on both fronts. Given we've already lost our first game, have Celtic coming to Fir Park next week, a defeat today would more than likely see us heading into September on zero points. It would still be early days of course, but in this league, anyone can beat anyone and it's going to be all about who can grind out results and put runs together that determines how teams do.

A losing streak for us might just prove to be very difficult to get out of, especially if we're playing in Europe every second Thursday for the first two months of the season. As the season goes on, injuries build up, the number of games starts to take their toll on our small squad and before we know it, we've become cut adrift at or very near the bottom of the league and struggling to make up the ground and our 'bread and butter that is the SPL' might just be under threat.

I think some of our fans need to keep their feet on the ground and remember who we are. Our priority is the SPL and anything that happens in Europe - where we would be there merely to make up the numbers - is a bonus and I for one will gladly take avoiding relegation over a 'European tour' any day of the week.

Thursday's game is important to the club, but so is today's against Kilmarnock and if we were to lose today, I'll be worried.

You're always worried though! :thumbup:

I understand what you are saying, but I honestly don't think we are the worst team in the SPL this year. Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Hamilton look to be VERY poor teams this year. I don't think we'd ever see ourselves cast adrift of those three as they will struggle to amass points themselves.

I totally agree that our league position would suffer as a result of qualifying for the group stages. However, for one season, as something new and exciting, I'd happily take 11th place right now if it meant we qualified for the group stages and gave our fans more adventures abroad that they will cherish for many years to come.

Therefore, I'm all for mixing things up with today's selection.

I wouldn't change the keeper or back 4, as they will need to play as a unit on Thursday. There's no need to rest Jennings as he'll be suspended. Some of the fringe players, especially new signings could be given a start instead.

Something like:

----------------------Randolph----------------------

Saunders-----Reynolds-----Craigan-----Hammell

--------Jennings-----Forbes-----Fitzpatrick--------

------Blackman-----McHugh-----Casagolda-------

Was / is Shaun Hutchinson not a midfielder?

if so, I'm surprised nobody ever lists him as a potential replacement for Lasley/Jennings/Sutton in midfield, if needs be, the lad is certainly more athletic than all three.

and don't be mental qualifying forthe Europa league group stages would not see us relegated? we could buy half the oppostion in January if it was even a possibility :thumbup:

and don't be mental qualifying forthe Europa league group stages would not see us relegated? we could buy half the oppostion in January if it was even a possibility :thumbup:

I'm not saying that it would, but it could see us struggle to pick up points in the league should we get a build of injuries and tiredness as the games build up. Celtic and Rangers have both struggled to compete on two fronts when they've been involved in the UEFA Cup and been playing on Thursday nights and then again on the Sunday. It affected their league form and they had much bigger squads than we currently have.

My point was in response to an earlier post that said that they would happily trade league points against Kilmarnock for qualification for the Europa League Group Stage. Each to their own of course, but I'm sorry for me that is nonsensical talk. We are not in a position to be able to 'trade league points', especially when we don't have any on the board as yet and our next three SPL games are at home to Celtic, away to St.Johnstone and at home to a seemingly rejuvinated Aberdeen side. Qualification for the Europa League Group Stages would be fantastic for Motherwell Football Club, an absolutely tremendous achievement, of that there is no doubt....However....it would be a bonus.

Our main priority is what happens in the SPL and I for one don't want to see us cut adrift with no points after three or four matches and struggling to get into our stride. That is how relegation scraps start.

Question, would you take relegation in exchange for us qualifying for the Europa League Group Stage?

More realistic question, would you take a bottom six finish in exchange for us qualifying for the Europa League group stage and earning a very significant amount of money?

More realistic question, would you take a bottom six finish in exchange for us qualifying for the Europa League group stage and earning a very significant amount of money?

If bottom six and comfortably avoiding relegation then yes, I probably would but in this league where so many teams are fairly evenly matched and anyone can get results against anyone, teams that go on a bad run or make poor starts to seasons tend to get sucked into the relegation scrap somewhat and that's my concern at the moment.

My main hope for every season is that we avoid relegation and I'm sure that is what the club budget for.