Where The Fuck Was Craigan When It All Kicked Off

Welldel

fair points stall.

it's also better when the team are clear who the taker will be. Hateley and Murph seemed to be arguing a bit about it beforehand - both of them had their hands on the ball and a wee exchange was going on. The psychology of taking the kick is bad enough (the jostling, standing on the spot, surrounding the ref, the goalie fucking off to the half way line) without that old 'if I miss this Hateley will give me pelters' niggle being put on top of that.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you could argue our players should have stood up and maybe Murph should have passed the pen to someone (Not Hateley who was fucking shocking lst night) but at the end of the day,its the officials job! The ref allowed 4 of their players to verbally abuse him (only booking 1 of them),he allowed 1 of their boys to intimidate Murphy,he allowed Carrol to run anywhere apart from his goal line and he allowed 4 minutes to lapse between the pen award and the pen taking, utterly inept and quite frankly disgraceful lack of authority shown

No way should a player MISS the goal from a penalty, the only exception is if the Keeper saves it.

Personally i would have gave the penalty for Hateley to take but he may well have done the same thing.

At the game during the fiasco, i knew we would miss as its so off putting. How many times have you seen a player score after theres been a time delay like that?

Still need to hit the target tho.

I do think that when there is a big delay between the penalty getting awarded and the actual taking of the spot kick, the taker should pass responsibility to someone who hasn't just spent the last 5 minutes thinking about it and getting wound up by the other teams gamesmanship.

We saw it last season with JOB against Rangers and we saw it lastnight. I wouldv liked to have seen Craigan go up top and say to Murphy, just hang back, give it to Hatley or Hammil who the opposition havent been winding up. Further on from that point, if it looks likely the pen is getting awarded for a red card offence and theres defo going to be a delay, get someone who's not going to be hittting it to pick up the ball and take the crap from the opposition. It would have been quality to have seen Saunders standing with the ball for 5 minutes, taking the bait and then throwing the ball to Murphy when the time actually came.

I have to Agree with this, you have put it perfectly.

The thing that really winds me up (which actually has nothing to do with Craigan) is we are just too nice and not clever enough. It infuriates me at times that opposing teams know how to play the game (and the ref) and get an advantage from it. Not cheating (and I wouldn’t be condoning it anyway) but, like the above poster mentioning. In the circumstances last night when we got the penalty, tempers were high, of course the Odense players are going to do everything in the power to slow the situation down (fuck knows what Carroll was doing sprinting 50 yards, knob), but why don’t we have brains to retaliate back. Why don’t we just get Saunders to pick the ball up and take the grief and then pass it to the penalty taker (please be Mr Hateley next time, for the love of God, he can hit a dead ball, ffs!). We just don’t seem on the ball to come up with ways round of opposition trying to delay/time waste etc. The one and only time I HAVE seen us do this was when Coach done in in Nancy for their penalty. Fuck, he walked up and sprayed the penalty area with the water bottle and proceeded to do keep uppies with it.

Another thing, ok, I might be condoning cheating a little (mind you, everyone else does it sadly) but twice Murphy could easily have went down and gave the ref a major headache whether to give a penalty or not in the first half.

There is moments where I wish we could be more clever when it comes to penalty situations, etc.

Back on topic though, I think Murphy could have done with a pep talk before the penalty (from Craigan). A simple, ‘keep the head’ in his ear could have calmed the boy down who was more than likely going like a battery. As much as I really like Murphy and he’ll be a big player this year, I just don’t have faith in his dead ball ability. I had this debate leaving the ground last night, even against Hibs I was convinced he would miss (very well took in the end) but, we always seem to think attacking players/strikers need to take spots kicks. Why can’t Hammell or Hateley take it? Would you let Murphy take a free-kick if both of them were on the park? Course you wouldn’t. So why should someone else take the freekick that’s not Hammell or Tom?

But Craigan, your about 35 years old now and you STILL let the ball bounce, I think that was the first rule I learned when I played football when I was younger, he is the most experienced pro by a mile in our squad and he still does ridiculous things in my eyes. Looking at Odense 2nd goal in the first leg, what the fuck was he doing 2 metres behind the line of defence? Your captain and the main man in that defence, you keep the line, don’t invent a new one and then leave the player unmarked and play him onside then decide to jump in like a school boy. Yes, I admit he’s done a lot of good for Motherwell and I respect what he does do, but ffs, he still does a tonne of daft stuff, I know hes not exactly Gerard Pique but it just seems simple. Don’t dive in, don’t let the ball bounce and hold your line along with the defence (I should also note, some of this Reynolds is guilty of too).

I just get frustrated with him, being so vastly experienced and he still does daft things IMO.

And I am prepared to be shot down, so fire away….

If you are professional enough to pull all the time wasting stunts, you should be professional enough to not be put off by them.

The bottom line is that, regardless of the Odense antics, we gave away a soft goal and created enough opportunities to win the next 2 games. We need to address that, and trying to blame the opposition is the mentality of a losing team.

HOTD for this shite.

This whole place is going postal.

+1 HOTD for this pish.

We got beat we're out of Europe every single one of us is pissed off and hurting.

Turning on each other like a pack of wild dogs is not going to ease the pain it will only serve to make it worse.

I for one am immensley proud of what oor wee team has achieved and am optimistic for this season which starts on Sunday !!!!

I for one am immensley proud of what oor wee team has achieved and am optimistic for this season which starts on Sunday !!!!

Aye. I'm completely burst at losing. Blaming Craigan, Humphrey, Blackman, Murphy, Dempster, Boyle, Broon, Knox, the main stand, the diving, the cheating, the referee, the paint on the stairs, the moss on the roof, Lasley, Hammell and Hateley is going to do precisely fuck all to change it. I understood the disappointment and anger last night but it seems to be rolling onto this evening as well. Its done. Move on.

The thing that really winds me up (which actually has nothing to do with Craigan) is we are just too nice and not clever enough. It infuriates me at times that opposing teams know how to play the game (and the ref) and get an advantage from it. Not cheating (and I wouldn’t be condoning it anyway) but, like the above poster mentioning. In the circumstances last night when we got the penalty, tempers were high, of course the Odense players are going to do everything in the power to slow the situation down (fuck knows what Carroll was doing sprinting 50 yards, knob), but why don’t we have brains to retaliate back. Why don’t we just get Saunders to pick the ball up and take the grief and then pass it to the penalty taker (please be Mr Hateley next time, for the love of God, he can hit a dead ball, ffs!). We just don’t seem on the ball to come up with ways round of opposition trying to delay/time waste etc. The one and only time I HAVE seen us do this was when Coach done in in Nancy for their penalty. Fuck, he walked up and sprayed the penalty area with the water bottle and proceeded to do keep uppies with it.

Another thing, ok, I might be condoning cheating a little (mind you, everyone else does it sadly) but twice Murphy could easily have went down and gave the ref a major headache whether to give a penalty or not in the first half.

There is moments where I wish we could be more clever when it comes to penalty situations, etc.

Back on topic though, I think Murphy could have done with a pep talk before the penalty (from Craigan). A simple, ‘keep the head’ in his ear could have calmed the boy down who was more than likely going like a battery. As much as I really like Murphy and he’ll be a big player this year, I just don’t have faith in his dead ball ability. I had this debate leaving the ground last night, even against Hibs I was convinced he would miss (very well took in the end) but, we always seem to think attacking players/strikers need to take spots kicks. Why can’t Hammell or Hateley take it? Would you let Murphy take a free-kick if both of them were on the park? Course you wouldn’t. So why should someone else take the freekick that’s not Hammell or Tom?

But Craigan, your about 35 years old now and you STILL let the ball bounce, I think that was the first rule I learned when I played football when I was younger, he is the most experienced pro by a mile in our squad and he still does ridiculous things in my eyes. Looking at Odense 2nd goal in the first leg, what the fuck was he doing 2 metres behind the line of defence? Your captain and the main man in that defence, you keep the line, don’t invent a new one and then leave the player unmarked and play him onside then decide to jump in like a school boy. Yes, I admit he’s done a lot of good for Motherwell and I respect what he does do, but ffs, he still does a tonne of daft stuff, I know hes not exactly Gerard Pique but it just seems simple. Don’t dive in, don’t let the ball bounce and hold your line along with the defence (I should also note, some of this Reynolds is guilty of too).

I just get frustrated with him, being so vastly experienced and he still does daft things IMO.

And I am prepared to be shot down, so fire away….

Where do you sit? POD?

Aye. I'm completely burst at losing. Blaming Craigan, Humphrey, Blackman, Murphy, Dempster, Boyle, Broon, Knox, the main stand, the diving, the cheating, the referee, the paint on the stairs, the moss on the roof, Lasley, Hammell and Hateley is going to do precisely fuck all to change it. I understood the disappointment and anger last night but it seems to be rolling onto this evening as well. Its done. Move on.

Spot on. Best post yet.

C'mon the 'well

Forget about protecting Murphy, the team Captain should be TAKING the penalties.

Sure, might be a bit of a nail biter seeing seeing big Crags stepping up to take a penatly but he couldn't do much worse than most of his predecessors lately (O'Brien, Forbes, Sutton, Murphy) and if Steven Pressley can do it surely Craigan can!

I seem to remember Craigan scoring a penalty in a penalty shoot out or am I imagining that?

Forget about protecting Murphy, the team Captain should be TAKING the penalties.

Sure, might be a bit of a nail biter seeing seeing big Crags stepping up to take a penatly but he couldn't do much worse than most of his predecessors lately (O'Brien, Forbes, Sutton, Murphy) and if Steven Pressley can do it surely Craigan can!

I seem to remember Craigan scoring a penalty in a penalty shoot out or am I imagining that?

:nod: That is crazy talk.

why we dont have a defined set piece taker is beyond me. At pens its a scrap to see who can get the ball first, and at free kicks its a debate to see who can put it in the stand first, its shocking that at 1 end a so called professional team cant defend set pieces and leak goals softer than my last shite, and at the other end (apart from the very occasional screamer) their free kicks are shite and they couldnt score a penalty even if the opposition had a blind midget in goal

and at the other end (apart from the very occasional screamer) their free kicks are shite

The ratio of free kicks scored to free kicks taken is tiny even at the very highest level.

David Beckham had a 50 to 1 ratio at free kicks and he was considered to be one of the masters.

The ratio of free kicks scored to free kicks taken is tiny even at the very highest level.

David Beckham had a 50 to 1 ratio at free kicks and he was considered to be one of the masters.

Hmm not sure about that, sure Zola had a 1 in 3 at one point in his prime from attempts at goal. 1 in 50 seems more realistic if you include crosses into box as well as shots. Imagine for Beckham it might not be 1 in 3 but a bit better than 1 every 50.

Not just talking about scoring, but even good efforts on target or dangerous balls whipped in, Ive noticed a fair few times,the kick is either whipped straight at the keeper or floated into a random area and cleared by bigger defenders. Its just something I really feel we need to practice, and if we do already,then practice more!

In the modern game set pieces are probably now the most important part of football and apart from the occasional screamer free kick we seem to be shite at both taking and defending them

why we dont have a defined set piece taker is beyond me. At pens its a scrap to see who can get the ball first

SPOT ON.

We have 2 of the most experienced coaches in the business. We even have a video analysis coach that helped England win the rugby world cup. In fact we realised that Utaka hangs around the edge of the penalty waiting for a break to bang the goals in. Wait a minute is that not what happened.............

I am somewhat perplexed why we do not have 1 designated penalty taker. It may be Forbes, but surely someone else must deputise when he is not on the pitch.

Simples - tell each player to take 100 penalty kicks - whoever scores the most is the man.......