50 Caps For Craigan

delboy

I want to start by saying that I am a MAJOR Crags supporter.

However, what I'd like to know, after nearly 50 caps for Northern Ireland whilst playing for us, IF those caps were for Scotland, would everyone be as delighted, chuffed, happy, content etc?

I'm going to be honest, I've no idea of Northern Ireland's results and stats with Crags playing. I'm only thinking of this after reading this thread and the Reynolds thread and trying to compare our two centre backs.

My drunken opinion, Crags for me is going to down as a club legend, but Reynolds as a defender will still be head and shoulders above him as a player.

So what does everyone else think?

Like I said, I'm no football or tactical genius, only saying what I see.

whos his arse fur love bites

it's kind of unfair to compare Stephen and Mark

The age gap is one thing (lets see what Mark has done when he gets to his mid 30's) and as for playing for their country Mark will always struggle to get into the Scotland squad because he doesn't play for the old scum, if Mark were Welsh/Irish/Lithuanian he would be in the national squad without doubt at some point in his career.

Any player's individual achievements should always be recognised and not undermined because of what someone else may or may not do.

How deservedly so? Craigan is still Norn Iron's best centre half and a talisman. He doesn't owe his caps to injuries or anything, and as Euro 2008 Qualification proved Northern Ireland are a better team with him rather than without him.

The last three managers at least have seen the Northern Ireland defence as Craigan +1, usually Aaron Hughes in the last few campaigns, with the much respected Jonny Evans (mainly only because the team he found himself at giants Manchester United) is shunted to left back to accomadate Craigan.

Last time I spoke to a few Norn Iron fans they still don't forgive the manager for dropping Craigan against Iceland and Latvia in the European Qualification in 2008!

Well Done Craggs, 50 caps is a major achievment. Craigan is the first to admit that his footballing abilities are limited to say the least, but his commitment and most importantly his tremedous attitude to the game will mean that he will be classed as a legend long after he gives up the game not only at Motherwell but with his country also. I had the pleasure of talking to many Northern Irish fans in Prague last year and they had nothing but admiration for the guy. There are many on this website who feel he is a poor player and they are entitled to their opinion, but they will not really appreciate him until he hangs up his boots.