3rd October 1989

Andy_P

Not an 19th May 1991 style anniversary date in terms of winning something but for me one worth reminiscing about nonetheless, so a little self-indulging looking back through misty eyes to follow....

Motherwell 1 Rangers 0 - and MFC go top of the Premier League for the first time that I can recollect in my lifetime. How novel and exciting to be back home after the game and see Sandy Gall on News at Ten read out the scores and show the table with 'Well at the top.

Super Tuesday some called it in the aftermath with folk even having t-shirts done of the match report and table in the following day's Sun.

It was a significant result as it confirmed for sure that we were really on the right track. Wee Tam had been building towards what would eventually be the Cup win and Europe and this was a sign that we weren't a million miles away.

In truth the momentum had been building from about a year earlier when after going to something like November before getting our first win of the season (can you imagine if this place were around then? :cheers:) we had a storming end to the season with wins over both the Old Firm, pumping St Mirren 4-0 and ending well clear of Accies who went down.

To the media though and their level of interest we had done no more than avoid relegation so this was all put down to the arrival of Davie Cooper inspiring us to unseen heights. There was more than a hint of truth in that to be fair. He had the belief and confidence, and no small measure of skill and ability, to take us to another level and drag the likes of Tom Boyd and Dougie Arnott kicking and screaming with him as they benefited from his presence in the team.

Good times!!

• Like 1

Brilliant post Andy! Greatest night of my life as a well fan. I think it was the first time we'd been givin the shed right down to the corner flag and the atmosphere was superb!

Russell, Cooper, Cusack, O'neil, Burley etc, what a team we had!

The scenes when the goal went in will live with me forever.

Remember keepin the newspaper cuttings the next day and buyin a t shirt with the headlin 'well and truly stuffed'! on it :cheers:

Great days!

Always remember the brilliant pic in the paper of Bobby Russell and Davie Cooper celebrating the goal...and the one of an extremely fed up Ray Wilkins as Coop went past.

Remember taking the headline into my maths teacher (who claimed to be a massive Rangers fan)the next morning and just left it on hid desk for him to come in!! I sat there grinning from ear to ear and when he finally clocked it, he sent me out the class!! His purecannaetakeitness was rife!! Magic.

• Like 1

Remember it well and it was fantastic with a well worked goal.

Don't want to put a dampener on things but were we not only top for 24hrs. as the rest of the league played their games on the Wednesday night?

Disnae matter, fact is we were top for the first time in like donkeys years.