Transfer Window January 2011

Tartan Copper 2

It is believed that one of the top two in the SPL are interested in the services of our pacey wingers HUMPHREY and MURPHY.

Unconfirmed reports suggest that both our wingers are on the radar of One of the elite two in the SPL, both players have been watched throughout October and November during arguably there best runs of form since being at the club.

Can we keep both wingers at the club past JAN 2011.

This is worrying as these players are the backbone of the team in the attacking sence, also yet to be confirmed is that a number of Championship teams are linening up bids for both players come JAN 2011, with the list growing everyday, it is also believed that scouts watching Reynolds have switched there attentions to the eye catching performances of our flying wingers. WATCH THIS SPACE... MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW.

I seem to remember Rangers were apparently looking at O'Brien last season :nod:

Where would Humphrey and Murphy fit in to either the Rangers or Celtic team? Could see either of them playing in the Championship in a year or two, but not with the OF. Would be a mistake for EVERYONE concerned.

Yeah, come on Eddie, you're not allowed to criticise Humphrey!

FWIW, I think he is slightly overrated as well. I'm not saying he's not good, just not as good as some people make him out to be. I've only seen him a handful of times, but that's just my opinion.

As for prices, I think we'd be lucky to get 1mil combined let alone each!

I seem to remember Rangers were apparently looking at O'Brien last season :nod:

Where would Humphrey and Murphy fit in to either the Rangers or Celtic team? Could see either of them playing in the Championship in a year or two, but not with the OF. Would be a mistake for EVERYONE concerned.

Before i get slated about sticking up for HUMPHREY

Your prob right FINLAY, maybe they would not fit in the OF but the fact is that there sniffing about in the first place, there lots still to come from these two as you are aware, and again i agree that Championship is where they will end up sooner rather than later.. but i would still like to see them stay at the Well of course.

Since when did they have to fit in for these two to buy them? Ask Alan Gow and Derek Riordan that.

And Eddy, there is not a better winger than Humphrey in the SPL at the moment and I have seen all the teams this season. Granted that does not make him a great player but it does make him attractive to others.

More worrying is the potential loss of Jamie who is growing into a confident attacking two footed player who can make and score goals. But hey, ho we are Motherwell, and we have to sell to survive.

Well I've just received a PM from Tartan Copper 2 asking for me to praise Humphrey after an earlier tet-a-tet regarding his ability and contribution.

I think I've been fair in my estimation and comments on him so far, some of the same reservations have been echoed so far on this thread. For me, he has been among the 3 best players this season, but I can only imagine how devastating he would be if the stuff he can work on in training improved.

Therefore PC Pedantic will have to wait either until the 10th re-incarnation of his user ID or Humphrey can add a degree of consistency to his final ball in addition to his inherited natural pace.

Before i get slated about sticking up for HUMPHREY

Your prob right FINLAY, maybe they would not fit in the OF but the fact is that there sniffing about in the first place, there lots still to come from these two as you are aware, and again i agree that Championship is where they will end up sooner rather than later.. but i would still like to see them stay at the Well of course.

Are they though?

Good answer mate, thats my point exactly.. cant afford to lose either of them, as stated before you cant buy PACE.... Priceless in fact, a valuable comodity (not sure on spelling)..which many cant afford. And very difficult to replace.

So why are people trying to buy Humphrey? :nod:

You can't buy pace, but apparently hale is available for panto at very reasonable rates

Not any longer, he got Gerard Kelly's gig.

As for this issue, I'm happy to leave it with "Da Management", I just hope they don't leave their selling as late as their subs, otherwise we'll get hee haw and a strong handshake.

I think at this stage we need to realise that we MUST hold on to our decent players. Im not daft, I do realise that Motherwell are a club that usualy cant aford to knock back good offers for players. however. I believe that if we are to advance as a club we need to shake the reputation of selling players for low prices. If murphy or the humph for example played for hearts or hibs they would be offerd somwhere in the region of a mill to a mill and a half, where motherwell would be lucky to be offered 50k for the pair. for us to expand as a club and rase our profile then we need to shake this reputation of being a feeder club.

I think at this stage we need to realise that we MUST hold on to our decent players. Im not daft, I do realise that Motherwell are a club that usualy cant aford to knock back good offers for players. however. I believe that if we are to advance as a club we need to shake the reputation of selling players for low prices. If murphy or the humph for example played for hearts or hibs they would be offerd somwhere in the region of a mill to a mill and a half, where motherwell would be lucky to be offered 50k for the pair. for us to expand as a club and rase our profile then we need to shake this reputation of being a feeder club.

As much as it annoys the hell out of us Motherwell will always be a selling club. Our whole structure is built around bringing up youngsters to sell onto bigger clubs. In dream world we would keep all our best players and make a real go of things but in the real financial world we need to sell our best players to survive. With a very low home support income is hard to come by & offloading assets is vital to keep the club on an even keel. I know that history tells us that we always seem to get shafted with our best players going fo less than their value but if you get offered 250k for a 500k player it's better than a poke in the eye with a pointy stick. As fans we would say tell them to shove their 250k but as chairman JB sees that as money that can pay wages or pay for ground repairs so he's left in the position of take the shitey offer or pump more of his own money in.

To be fair all the contract renewals and new signings in the summer seemed to be taking the longer term view with the clubs biggest assets. Almost everyone was signed up on a 3 year deal or an extension until at least 2012 (I only know because I outlined them in the first post of the In's and Out's thread).

I think its safe to say the management at FP have seen players of lesser quality and ability leave clubs such as Hibs for X times more than we've seen our talent go for and so far I think it has been addressed to a degree buy signing them up and looking to punt them with 18 months to a year before their expiry to achieve maximum fees.

Based on that I can see someone like Humphrey going in the summer if he maintains his form. Murphy is on the books till summer 2013 therefore I reckon he will go in Jan or the summer of 2012.

Since when did they have to fit in for these two to buy them? Ask Alan Gow and Derek Riordan that.

And Eddy, there is not a better winger than Humphrey in the SPL at the moment and I have seen all the teams this season. Granted that does not make him a great player but it does make him attractive to others.

More worrying is the potential loss of Jamie who is growing into a confident attacking two footed player who can make and score goals. But hey, ho we are Motherwell, and we have to sell to survive.

Well said that man, i am of the same opinion not seen much as regards wingers in the SPL that come near him, only seen one left back who has had the better of him and that was Celtic guy, and i am sure he is an international, but now HUMPHREY has hit some form even that will be a different battle all together next time round, people keep mentioning HUMPHREY non ability and lack of skill, last weekend he showed the skill he really has which is bourne by his confidence at the moment, his turn on the edge of the box and shot ~(be it over the bar) was out of this world, if that would of went in we would of been talking about it for the rest of the season.

For me it highlights how poor the SPL is. In Chris Humphrey we have a player that is hugely effective in the league with practically no talent and then a player like Ross Forbes who is one of the most technically gifted players in the league who "does nothing".

Dont think thats as much a problem with the league Bop, more where Forbes gets played with Motherwell, just flogging an old horse again bye saying he is a central midfielder, not a winger. Like Hately is a full back not a midfielder. Like Sutton is a striker not a winger. Like Alan Gow is a......... good player when he plays in the right position, just dont know where that is yet.

For me it highlights how poor the SPL is. In Chris Humphrey we have a player that is hugely effective in the league with practically no talent and then a player like Ross Forbes who is one of the most technically gifted players in the league who "does nothing".

If you think Humphrey has no talent then you not been watching very closely lately. Lot more to him than just the pace, no doubts the final ball could be improved but technically he has come out with some of the finest touches of any in the team in past couple of months.

Forbes has some talent but if he had half the talent some make out his lack of fitness and strength would be something he should be overcoming a lot better. Countless times I've seen him look utterly lost and lack the touch or compsure on the ball to find a man when his lack of ability to run with the ball has failed him. In a slower paced league he might well do better and would love to see him develop into a regular player if he could reproduce the efforts that brought him to prominance but I'll be surprised if that happens.