Decision Made - Thoughts?

jk2205

Stuart McCall...New Manager  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts...

• Great choice. Will take the team foward
    • Totally indifferent, lets see what happens
    • Pish/Poor Choice

Stuart McCall is our new man and Well fans will (quite rightly) rally behind him and the team. Boyle's cock-a-hoop about his experience and leadership and Weir thinks he ticks every box.

Aye but do the players (tick every box)?:nod:

Is he a competent successful manager? That's the one and only box that should be ticked the rest are negligible.

We seem to have pinned all our hopes on his knowledge of the lower leagues in England and ability to bring in loanees and frees from that area. Surely that is exactly the environment he was working in with Bradford, wouldn't it have made more sense to analyse the job he did at Bradford with that same knowledge and ability we've brought to Fir Park.

I cant see a positive in the appointment of Stuart McCall and believe me I really desperately want to find one.

The more time I've had to think about this appointment the more I'm starting to warm to it. When it was announced I was completely underwhelmed by it and thought I'd need a fair bit of convincing, but the way he puts himself across in interviews so far is making me think it could turn out pretty well.

I cant see a positive in the appointment of Stuart McCall and believe me I really desperately want to find one.

I'll give you two.

1. He's not Chris Sutton.

2. He's not John Hughes either.

I would add Gus McPherson and Jimmy Calderwood to that list for 3 and 4, but I would be surprised if Gus' name was ever considered and quite a few would have preferred Calderwood, for some reason.

That's another reason I'm starting to warm to this a bit. If it was either of those names (or at least 3 out of the 4) every single one of us would have been fucking livid and would still be rattling on now about how big a mistake it is and how much of an idiot the new boss is.

Im quite happy with it now

Since i seen Stuart come out in shorts and socks and football boots at the game against Hamilton i knew he was up for a good scrap with this job

I dont think it's bad but i dont think it's earth shattering.

I think a few people aren'y chuffed because it's not a appointment from left field. From day 1 he was touted and it wasn't like a gannon or broon who took everyone off guard

I dont see it as a positive that he isn't John Hughes, Gus McPherson, or Chris Sutton, mainly because I would have lumped him in with them. Jimmy Calderwood I would have taken in a heartbeat.

I dont think it's a surprise how he puts himself across in interviews, the amount of media work he's done I'd be surprised if he didn't come across well. I want to see him make a difference, for the better, to the players on the pitch and there is absolutely nothing in his track record that even hints at him being capable of making that difference.

Im quite happy with it now

Since i seen Stuart come out in shorts and socks and football boots at the game against Hamilton i knew he was up for a good scrap with this job

It just confirmed to me that he was an absolute dunce..

McCall making the right noises - good to see someone talking about giving the young guys a fair crack

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2011/01/04/g...%98well-talent/

Stuart McCall is in a positive mood after spending the afternoon getting familiarised with some of the youngsters and squad players at the club.

McCall, in his first full week in charge of Motherwell, watched as a ‘Reserve’ side played a bounce game against St. Mirren at Ravenscraig this afternoon, and the former Bradford City boss is positive about what the future holds.

“It was good, today, to see the likes of Hutchinson, Forbes, McHugh, Casagolda and Pollock and a few other players,” the former Everton and Rangers midfielder praised. “They got a full 90 minutes against St. Mirren – although it was on an artificial surface – and I’ll look forward to seeing more of them.

“It’s important to have a look at these boys, whether it’s in training or in bounce games like today. Every player here is on a clean slate and I will make my own decisions as quickly as possible.

“It’s important that I hit the ground running and assess the squad as quickly as I can. I’ve seen the last few games that the senior lads have played, but I hadn’t seen much of the squad players and the younger boys.”

The new ‘Well gaffer admits he is in something of a race against time to get to know the qualities of his entire squad in the midst of a hectic time for The Steelmen.

Motherwell face a tough trip to Dundee in the Scottish Cup on Sunday before a run of six games in three weeks – including the Co-operative Insurance semi-final against Rangers.

All this is in the middle of a busy transfer window which sees the club negotiating with out-of-contract players and trying to hold on to their loan star.

Many managers would shudder at that schedule, but McCall insists he is thriving: “It’s a hectic time at the moment, but it is something I am relishing.

“It’s great to be back involved. The senior boys had a terrific session today and looked really fired up, and it was good to see Jennings back training too, so it’s enjoyable.

“In an ideal world any manager will tell you that they would like to come in for pre-season and work with the players for five or six games, but we know that we don’t have time for that and we will assess things quickly.

“In the mean time I’ve got a few lads going out of contract and we are still trying to keep Nick Blackman at the club for the rest of the season.”

Agreed Steve but;

"........it was good to see Jennings back training too".

I take it from that he has been back home since the 'betting scandal'. Surely being banned for three games doesn't discount you from training with the squad.

Agreed Steve but;

"........it was good to see Jennings back training too".

I take it from that he has been back home since the 'betting scandal'. Surely being banned for three games doesn't discount you from training with the squad.

I think he was getting his wisdom teeth out, or some sort of operation along those lines.

That's probably had him ruled out for a week or so.

There is no way we'd let a player have a few weeks off cause of a suspension.

I think he was getting his wisdom teeth out, or some sort of operation along those lines.

That's probably had him ruled out for a week or so.

There is no way we'd let a player have a few weeks off cause of a suspension.

Ah, in that case fair doos. My mistake.