Dundee Game

RoscoDee

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following on from watching his Motherwell side destroy Dundee 4-0 in the Scottish Cup, Well boss Stuart McCall all but conceded defeat in his quest to keep Mark Reynolds in the amber and claret. Reynolds has long been touted for a move to either the Old Firm, or into the English Championship, but it seems now the player will finally move on.

McCall saw his side cruise to victory thanks to a brace from John Sutton, and late goals from Steve Jennings and Jamie Murphy, but now will be looking to reshape his squad as Reynolds looks to leave.

The manager said: "The talk prior to this game was a bit unsettling but his attitude was spot on,"

Sheffield Wednesday are believed to have had a bid for the 23-year-old defender turned down, although it was not thought to be close to the reported £100,000.

"From a manager's point of view I wouldn't like to lose him, I know the board are not over-keen to lose him, but if the offer is upped and I can bring someone in, we will wait and see."

One player McCall was relieved to see lasting the 90 minutes was Stevie Hammell, who was on the wrong end of a two-footed challenge that earned Leigh Griffiths a late red card.

"I thought he was going to be out for a long time, I thought it was a bad one," McCall said. "It was a no-brainer the sending-off. The biggest thing for me was that Hammy could get up and walk away from it."

Dundee manager Barry Smith was also disappointed with the tackle from his striker, who hit the bar with a deflected free-kick soon after Sutton had netted his second.

"It wasn't acceptable," Smith said. "He has to grow up and grow up quickly. He has let down his team-mates as that looks like he will miss the next three games."

I thought that was an interesting performance as there were some obvious changes to the pattern of play than under Brown.

• passing more until the right ball became available.
  • pressing higher up the pitch.
  • more use of the left handside and not the same reliance on Humprhey on the right.

On top of that there was an ability to pass again. Not every ball worked but against Hearts we couldn't find our men from ten yards away, today our passing was generally crisp and accurate and sometimes even adventurous.

Having not won in six our confidence must have been fragile so to score right at the start will have eased that and the fact it was such a wonderful goal was a wee bonus.

In general play there was not much between us but our finishing was better than them and we eventually wore them down.

Thought Craigan was pick of the bunch today - his positioning was spot on and he accepted they would outpace him but he won the ball every time as they cut in.

And it was great to see three players chasing the ball down on the shy line in the 92nd minute when we were 4-0 up. Effort and application top notch.

One swallow does not a summer make but that was brilliant Motherwell - thanks for making it worth the effort.

Yet again the negative vibes are flowing through the threads.... we go into this match with NEW manager and a new lease of life.... yes we have been playing poorly, but with the exception of Rangers no team has played us off the park... Dundee have lots to prove and with a GOOD RECORD they must be pretty much up for the game. Motherwell on the other hand have the new manager looking to stamp his authority on his new look team,,, each player will be playing for his place in the starting eleven,,,, regardless on how long they have been at the club, the likes of Forbes,Casagolda,Page will at some stage be given there chance to prove the previous managers wrong, be it in training or on the park, Exciting times ahead.

Motherwell to win 3- nil.

Almost got the prediction right..... Great team performance today, but that was to be expected after such a lack luster couple of months, Sutton, Murphy, back to winnings ways, the Defence looked solid (@last) Jennoe made a big difference today, New manager and a new start. Cant fault anyone today.

10/10 for performance, role on Wed Night.

Good to see Murphy and Humps bombing down the wings, and as pointed out more so on the LEFT hand side today.

whens the draw?

Excellent result today really thought we were gonna get knocked out but we were dynamite. Its great to get to smile about the fitba again :notworthy: . Sutton and Murphy looked a great patnership and by fuck have we missed Jennings. Get that boy signed up Mr Boyle.

Best bit about the game was big Randy going nuts at that boy that tackled reynolds. I honestly thought he was gonna kill him. I love Randy :wub: . Hero of a man

That challenge by Griffiths was sick

Can we keep that line-up(injury/suspension allowing)and not mess about the way we did after the St Johnstone performance

I honestly cannot see McCall changing something that is working. After all, he's barely been there a period of time and saw through one obvious problem.

Would like Greenock Morton in the next round, never been to Cappielow! Thought Craigan had neither his best or worst game in a 'well shirt today, but his through ball to Sutton I think was the best pass I've seen him play as a Motherwell player!

Shows you how opinions can differ. I thought Craigen was horrendous today. He got caught the wrong side of his man on numerous occassions today, his distribution with the exception of one wonderful defence splitting pass was shocking and his tackling was powder puff. The majority if not all of their chances game through the centre of our defence.( and before the Stephen Craigen fan club get all upset don't blame Reynolds for this!)

On a positive note I thought it was a solid and professional performance overall with Jennings, Murphy & sutton superb. Randolph looked steady as usual, Lasley, Humphrey, Hammell, Hately and Fitzy all put in a good shift.

Hope McCall can sign a centre half and a left mid and things are looking up after all the recent doom and gloom.

Left Bellshill at quarter past 11! Got to Dundee at half 12! Roads are fine and dandy!

Mon the Well!

Lucky you, I left Edinburgh at 7:30 got to Dundee at 10:30! After being told in Perth that the game was definitely off and there was no point in even attempting to carry on basically! Glad I did Though! :notworthy:

just home from todays game, and can i say ....Happy days !

i'm well pished , but that was a great performance in the cup......and if thats how the teams gonna perform under McCall, then bring it on !!!!

pass marks for everyone today, even although I thought Dundee were the better team in the second half.

What a great result. I don't think any of us predicted that with any great confidence but not complaining. I feel a bit guilty for not going, which is a step up from the apathy I've felt in recent weeks. Very encouraged by the fact the formation appears to suit all the players again and I agree that Murphy up front is definately the best place to play him.

Special mention to some of the challenges Dundee put in. Absolutely shocking. Not just the two obvious ones, but some of the other ones throughout the game were late and dangerous. Bravo for the ref for managing to book 2 Motherwell players in the melee for hee haw.

Have to say, in hindsight, this was exactly what was needed for the club. After what seems like a month long doom-and-gloom festival at Fir Park, coming to the East coast and giving someone a right doing is exactly what we needed.

Obviously, its early days for McCall, but its great to break the trend of getting gubbed that had appeared. The players looked far more interested and willing to have a go yesterday. It certainly put a smile back on my face. Jennings back in the team putting just a bit more composure in the midfield, Sutton back up top pushing centre halfs around, Murphy back amongst the goals and Randolphs attempt to get stuck right into some Dundee players was all very heartening, and great to see. Couldn't have been more different than the Rangers game, where we looked beaten from the kick off.

Up the Well.

A much improved performance yesterday mainly because players were not being played out of position and that shitebag Gow was told to get to fuck.

Big difference in the middle of the park having Jennings back, was delighted for him getting a goal. Fitzy did ok but it is still a position that needs strengthened and we could do with another centre back. Murphy and Sutton were excellent up front and it makes you wonder why Brown/Young constantly persisted playing Murphy wide left to facilitate Gow. :lol:

Anybody bar the Old Firm in the next round and i'll be reasonably pleased. Mon the Well!