Motherwell Vs St Johnstone

cameltoe

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, at which point did Saunders prove himself as a top-quality centrehalf?

I rate the boy, I'm just worried I've missed something.

imo the best performances from any of the young defenders have been saunders centrehalf playing at tannadice, pittodrie, celtic park and at home to rangers under gannon.

edit - wouldn't drop craigan though. in six games under mccall we've lost 3 goals. a travesty of a penalty, a corner where reynolds was beaten in the air by kenneth and a 89th min counter where we had everyone up the park. the defence is doing ok, midfield is the problem and certainly was last night.

imo the best performances from any of the young defenders have been saunders centrehalf playing at tannadice, pittodrie, celtic park and at home to rangers under gannon.

edit - wouldn't drop craigan though. in six games under mccall we've lost 3 goals. a travesty of a penalty, a corner where reynolds was beaten in the air by kenneth and a 89th min counter where we had everyone up the park. the defence is doing ok, midfield is the problem and certainly was last night.

Yip, Saunders is a decent centre half - a bit raw mind but has performed well every time he has played there recently.

Agree that we can't really afford to drop Craigan just now though, under Gannon the partnership of Saunders and Hutchinson was good, but ultimately they both suffered from having an inexperienced partner in the end.

I didn't state that Saunders was a 'top quality' centre half. I pointed out that he is a Scotland international now. So is Gary Kenneth. I know how I'd rather have!

Saunders with Page or Hutchison would be my preferred option, with Hateley at right back. He's been anonymous (be polite and diplomatic here) in midfield.

6 penalties i reckon we've conceded this season Craigan giving away 3 and Saunders likewise.

So all of our penalties have been given away by two central defenders. Is that really such a surprising statistic? Who gives away the most penalties in other teams?

I just think that Saunders and Page/Hutchison would be a better bet for us.

I like Craigan and he has been a player of distinction for us. His time has come now, let us see what the younger players are capable of.

At the end of the day, we are in sixth place. I'd like to see us give young players some time on the pitch and build for next season.

Yeah, the constant 'PLAY THE KIDS!' pish on here is getting a little wearing. We are, through necessity or by design, we're playing mainly kids. Craigan at centre-half, is fine by me.

Wasn't Craigan playing most games when we were doing well under Brown & Knox?

The defence isn't the problem in my opinion.

we either need a couple of new bodies in midfield or a striker who can hold the ball up like mcdonald or jutkiewicz. if the midfield can't get a grip on the game we need a striker who can make something out of nothing balls and that's not sutton.

hateley was anonymous last night. he barely kicked a ball first half, came into to it a wee bit at the start of the 2nd then played a few bad passes and disapeared again. jenno was good first half but miles off the pace in the 2nd, clearly far from 100% fit.

humphrey created a couple of chances and jones looked dangerous in the final half hour but we can't afford to carry two guys who only contribute 2 or 3 times a half. humphrey definitely needs a rest but he also needs to add more to his game, when the ball wasn't out on his wing jones was coming inside and taking up decent positions while humphrey just stands out on the right touchline waiting for the game to come to him.

we either need a couple of new bodies in midfield or a striker who can hold the ball up like mcdonald or jutkiewicz. if the midfield can't get a grip on the game we need a striker who can make something out of nothing balls and that's not sutton.

hateley was anonymous last night. he barely kicked a ball first half, came into to it a wee bit at the start of the 2nd then played a few bad passes and disapeared again. jenno was good first half but miles off the pace in the 2nd, clearly far from 100% fit.

humphrey created a couple of chances and jones looked dangerous in the final half hour but we can't afford to carry two guys who only contribute 2 or 3 times a half. humphrey definitely needs a rest but he also needs to add more to his game, when the ball wasn't out on his wing jones was coming inside and taking up decent positions while humphrey just stands out on the right touchline waiting for the game to come to him.

Is the wee aussie chunt getting a game at Boro? Would we take him back? I for one hated the way he left but would take him on loan.

Is the wee aussie chunt getting a game at Boro? Would we take him back? I for one hated the way he left but would take him on loan.

:lol:

why dont we just see if we can get Robbie Keane to sign for us instead of West Ham on loan?

i didn't actually mean literally them.

just someone who if you hit the ball long there's a good chance they'll be able to win the ball and work the defender.

An interesting comment, if you don't mind me saying so. Yes, it is very early days - far too early to judge SM. We have to wait until he's had time to bring in his own players and put his own stamp on the team. However, usually when a new manager takes over there's some kind of uplift in a team's confidence and performances. This simply hasn't happened. When you say you haven't noticed any dfference, do you mean compared to Craig Brown's team or Gordon Young's temporary reign?

I mean since Craig Brown left. It's hypothetical but I think we would have had the same results under Young if he had have still been in charge. I'm just disappointed I've seen nothing since McCall came. I expected us to be pressing more (based purely on the fact that's the type of player he was), more aggressive, putting pressure on the refs rather than just accept every decision but none of this has happened. I suppose the only thing I've seen is that he doesn't play John Sutton as a left midfielder and gets us to play the long ball.

The result was poor, overall both teams were as poor as eachother... Motherwell created more than enough chances to win the match hands down, unfortunately i never worked out on that occasion, we have got to stick with the players we have. A few new players would be great but untill it happens, lets play with what we have.

The performance deserved @least a point, No one player can be blamed for losing the match.

We missed easy chances....We made mistakes at the back....We never commanded the midfield. all of those factors together as a team meant we never won Simples!

As for confidence of certain players.. if we continue to batter them after every defeat how do you think they will react... The players play to a system that they must stick to... as all training is based around that... if certain players are not moving off the ball its because they have been told to stay there for reasons only known to coaching staff, its only when you get in the last third that the player then makes his choice as in what to do with the ball, unfortunately last night we made the wrong choices and the luck just was not there.

The team are a good team, just missing that final touch, when that comes the team will gel again and start to improve.

Wasn't Craigan playing most games when we were doing well under Brown & Knox?

The defence isn't the problem in my opinion.

i agree the defence hasnt been to bad of late the problems are in midfield and up front were not creating enough chances.theres a few players that are off form and should be dropped if the squad was bigger

I think it might be because he is with the Aussies in Asian cup that he hasn't played for them but.....if we could get Grella who is a Championship reserve why not Skippy wo is basically the same?

Grella will be on about 4k a week while Skippy will be upwards of 15k as he was signed as a 1st teamer from the OF. I highly doubt that Skippy will be signing for anybody in Scotland anytime soon, unless Wanker Lennon decides that he needs another striker.

Grella will be on about 4k a week while Skippy will be upwards of 15k as he was signed as a 1st teamer from the OF. I highly doubt that Skippy will be signing for anybody in Scotland anytime soon, unless Wanker Lennon decides that he needs another striker.

Aye I know I was on a bit of a wind up. But still would take him back and no doubt we would only pay a portion of his wages. Apparently Boyd to Rangers with the h**s only paying half his wages was mentioned.