Jim Gannon

Welldaft Mk1

No that was here.

Stockport went OK. Peterborough went OK

What the fuck are you actually talking about.

Refs? The very same refs that we talk about? Other managers talk about? The very same refs that you were moaning about no later than yesterday FFS???? :lol:

I'd argue the point about Stockport he alienated quite a few of the players including grabbing one of them by the throat at half-time. Stories about his bullying tactics at Stockport were rife down here.

I was (am) very much a fan of Jim Gannon but my views are not entrenched which is why I am really interested in what happens at Port Vale.

I think that the stories of unrest were almost inevitable because of the strength of his views on how the game should be played and his determination not to waver from that path. That is bound to upset a team that is not playing his way or indeed a player that does not play his way (Craigan being an example), particularly when he appears to be ruthless in his methods. There is bound to be a meeting of minds, the question is, as the board of the club, do you try and ride out the rocky transition or panic and bale out?

If Port Vale panic and sack Gannon then debates like these are going to rumble on, however if they stick by him and back him, even at the expense of disgruntled players, I think we are going to get an answer as to whether Gannon is the next big thing or if he is indeed a hopeless mavarick.

If Port Vale do stick by him and they continue to fall then I would change my current view, however if they sack him I will tend to maintain the view that like Motherwell, Port Vale did not have the balls for the revolution.

I am surprised by the comments of 'I'm bored with this, lets move on' because if nothing else as fans of football Gannon (love or hate him) is a very interesting story to follow.

Yeah cos when Brown brought Craigan back into the fold, our form nose dived didn't it?

But the point is, that to take the team forward, Gannon had to drop Craigan. What Brown did was allow the status quo to stabilise the team. For all the plaudits Brown got, he did not progress the team or the club in any way.

Gannon wanted to take the team forward and to do that he needed a defender who could pass a ball.

But the point is, that to take the team forward, Gannon had to drop Craigan. What Brown did was allow the status quo to stabilise the team. For all the plaudits Brown got, he did not progress the team or the club in any way.

Gannon wanted to take the team forward and to do that he needed a defender who could pass a ball.

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

100% agree. Glad someone said it.

Spot on. I was happy to see Brown take the club through to the end of his first season. Was not too happy that he came back.

:lol: Harsh. But true.

I was (am) very much a fan of Jim Gannon but my views are not entrenched which is why I am really interested in what happens at Port Vale.

I think that the stories of unrest were almost inevitable because of the strength of his views on how the game should be played and his determination not to waver from that path. That is bound to upset a team that is not playing his way or indeed a player that does not play his way (Craigan being an example), particularly when he appears to be ruthless in his methods. There is bound to be a meeting of minds, the question is, as the board of the club, do you try and ride out the rocky transition or panic and bale out?

If Port Vale panic and sack Gannon then debates like these are going to rumble on, however if they stick by him and back him, even at the expense of disgruntled players, I think we are going to get an answer as to whether Gannon is the next big thing or if he is indeed a hopeless mavarick.

If Port Vale do stick by him and they continue to fall then I would change my current view, however if they sack him I will tend to maintain the view that like Motherwell, Port Vale did not have the balls for the revolution.

I am surprised by the comments of 'I'm bored with this, lets move on' because if nothing else as fans of football Gannon (love or hate him) is a very interesting story to follow.

I really dont think it's anything to do with the strength of his views, it's the way he puts them across. He's a bully, plain and simple, it's his way or the highway only he doesn't put it quite that politely. You think he should be kept on even at the expense of disgruntled players, why? Dont you think that would show in their performances on the pitch? Gannon's forte, no matter where he's been, has been to upset players and staff. Unless Gannon changes his approach a little I dont think we'll ever find out how good he could be and that's no-ones fault but his. My opinion on Gannon? He's a fool to himself, from what I hear he knows the game well enough and there is definitely a fairly decent manager in there struggling to get out. He just needs to learn that not everyone responds to a bully.

I think it takes more balls to kick the bully out than it does to let him damage your club.

And that's why he is a terrible manager. Defenders are there to keep clean sheets, not spray passes around. Gannon's vision was nothing more than a fantasy and that's why we hardly won a game while he was around despite having the luckiest streak of refereeing decisions in living memories (was there a game where we didn't get a penalty or an opposition player or two sent off?).

Brown progressed the club by putting us into the Europa League this season where guys like Jonny Page, Steven Saunders and Jamie Murphy picked up valuable experience. Something that wouldn't have happened under Gannon.

Out of all the young players currently around our match day squad I think I'm right in saying the only one Gannon gave a debut to was Ross Forbes, funnily enough the one most of the board would rather see punted.

And as for the senior players he brought in, Ruddy, Jutkiewicz and Coke are all history already, we are still waiting on Humphrey to live up to the hype, Hateley has been very average this season and only Jennings has made a real impact.

And as for the senior players he brought in, Ruddy, Jutkiewicz and Coke are all history already, we are still waiting on Humphrey to live up to the hype, Hateley has been very average this season and only Jennings has made a real impact.

I aint so sure if we'd have got Europe if it weren't for Ruddy and Jutkiewitcz. And Humphrey has shown his potential in flashes.

IMO Gannon's strength was in his eye for a player. He might have had a decent philosophy but if you try to inforce that by acting like an arsehole to players you dont like then u aint gonna get anywhere, especially if those players might be looked up to/friends with a lot of the team and staff.

If he had a wee bit of diplomacy he might get a bit further. I think he looks for the team to be sort of machine-like, with no emphasis put on the morale of the players. Seems a bit of an arse though.

And that's why he is a terrible manager. Defenders are there to keep clean sheets, not spray passes around.
You don't need to be Platini, no. However, if you are just humping the ball up the park to the opposition it doesn't relieve the pressure on the defence and makes it less likely you will keep a clean sheet.

All the great, and most of the good, teams have defenders sufficiently comfortable on the ball that they can at least find a man in space when required. It's a sad indictment on the Scottish game when the basic ability to pass a ball is not seen as a necessary skill for a player.

Of course there are times when a safety-first approach is needed, but I don't remember Joe Wark (for example) having trouble finding a man when he was setting up an attack.

And that's why he is a terrible manager. Defenders are there to keep clean sheets, not spray passes around. Gannon's vision was nothing more than a fantasy and that's why we hardly won a game while he was around despite having the luckiest streak of refereeing decisions in living memories (was there a game where we didn't get a penalty or an opposition player or two sent off?).

Brown progressed the club by putting us into the Europa League this season where guys like Jonny Page, Steven Saunders and Jamie Murphy picked up valuable experience. Something that wouldn't have happened under Gannon.

Out of all the young players currently around our match day squad I think I'm right in saying the only one Gannon gave a debut to was Ross Forbes, funnily enough the one most of the board would rather see punted.

Holy actual lumpin fuck Batman. :lol:

Now I know there are polarised views here but that is just unbelievable

the guy is clearly a screwball and is never going to have any success as a manager unless he has some kind of lobotomy/shock treatment. the motherwell players had a party when he left, the port vale players who got micky adams a move to sheffield united are already complaining about him and the first thing he did a peterborough was send their best player out on loan. he clearly can't deal with anyone who has a bit of experience and might question his methods which is why he always wants to work with young players.

look at the performances lasley and jenno put in on sunday, the two of them could barely get a sniff under gannon. his parting comment about being impossible to keep clean sheets was shown up to be nonsense as we kept 23 in 53 games since he left.

i've yet to meet anyone or hear about anyone who worked with him at fir park having a good word to say about the guy. what are people who still support him basing it on? he talked a good game but the end product was completely different, the first half against st mirren away on the saturday was the worst i've ever seen us play.

Bullying,

Falling out with senior players and club staff,

Picking public fights wi refs and media,

Sticking to his ideas,

Giving out fines for petty offences,

Selling 1st team regulars for not meeting his high standards, Running clubs his way or nowt....

That guy Ferguson has been doing all these things since the 70s with East Stirling and he's done no too badly in the game:-D

Gannon was at Stockport for quite a while and therefore had a bit of respect there. I think they were also in a bit of trouble when he took over, so he had time to build. The success of his time there and the respect and pull he had got to his head a little, and he seems to be believing his own hype a bit too much. He clearly struggled when he came to Motherwell and had to start from scratch and actually prove himself.

Also, I don't think his "eye for a player" is that great. Juke and Ruddy were loans, and Coke is gone. Hately and Hump are good players but nothing special. I'll give him the credit for Jennings though. However, other managers brought in the likes of Hughes, Porter, O'Brien, McCormack, and McDonald. So Gannon wasn't the first manager to get us a couple of good players, I'd give the club the credit for a lot of those listed as it took a few extra quid to make it happen.