Club Vs Country

Well Up For It!

143 members have voted

1. 1. Who comes first....???

• Scotland
    • Motherwell
    • Other

Was chatting with a mate during the Scotland game the other night and he said he's much more interested than what his club (Rangers) do, rather than the Scotland. I put this down to him being a queen and country biggot and thought no more. Then last night was talking to another mate and I explained the story and he said his team (Hibs - Junkie bastard he is!) come before Scotland!

For me, it's completely the opposit! I will always have the national team before my love of Motherwell! But now I'm starting to think I'm on my own with these thoughts, so thought I'd gauge opinion on here!

i have been everywhere with Scotland - some nice, some not so nice - but always enjoyable

Scotland fans are far better than Motherwell fans in how they support their team. And for all the Motherwell trips I have been on, none of them top Scotland trips, well except maybe Nancy!

However, I would always choose Motherwell before Scotland!

Was chatting with a mate during the Scotland game the other night and he said he's much more interested than what his club (Rangers) do, rather than the Scotland. I put this down to him being a queen and country biggot and thought no more. Then last night was talking to another mate and I explained the story and he said his team (Hibs - Junkie bastard he is!) come before Scotland!

For me, it's completely the opposit! I will always have the national team before my love of Motherwell! But now I'm starting to think I'm on my own with these thoughts, so thought I'd gauge opinion on here!

Definitely the well

Scotland can bite my shite

Motherwell winning the SPL would be great for the area, winning the Champions League would be truly amazing/spectacular and the exposure and media attention (and cash) we'd get would be hard to match. We'd be able to buy a new world class stadium from UEFA's purse alone, not to mention all the glory hunter fans we'd attract.

But I just feel, winning the World Cup and how that would permeate down through every person in our society and the feel good factor that goes with it would be amazing for the country as a whole. I'd opt for that.

And as I've said before, I'd happily trade off Motherwell being relegated in order to see Scotland get to a World Cup again.

Exactly what I said to my mate during the game....Don't get me wrong I'd be devastaed if we got relegated, but that pain would be more than eased by a World Cup adventure! Just hope its not 2022 - Qatar far too hot in the summer to be bouncing about in your kilt! As LadyWellToi says, Scotland winning a World Cup would be the singular greatest thing ever!!

Seems we are in the minority though....quite suprised by this, thought it would be more balanced.

Motherwell. I couldn't give a shit about the national team. Its full of old firm(or ex old firm players) that i hate anyway so why should i support them? Until a good nucleus of the team is Motherwell players(which wont happen anytime soon) then I have no interest in Scotland.

The treatment of Joe Wark and Wullie Pettigrew swung it for me. Not that I'm bitter or hold a grudge. :nod:

If they had given the guys in C&A the breaks through the years i'd be more open to being unequivocal in my support for the national set up - but they don't give a flying fuck about the well - so I'm afraid I don't give a fuck about them these days.

On a day to day, week to week, season to season basis it's definitely Motherwell....i've probably spent about 20 grand over the years on my love of the club in one way or another.

However on a larger scale, if it was a straight choice between Motherwell winning the league or Scotland winning the World Cup, it would be Scotland every time. Contrary to the guy before that says he couldn't bring himself to support players from other clubs, that's actually one of the things I like best about the national team....the way that it brings people together both players and fans, and shows that there is something bigger than the Old Firm bollocks in this country. It give the people that want to...again players and fans....the chance to rise above it, and for me, during a Scotland game it's the closest we'll get to the Old Firm not existing, which is what most people want anyway.

Close, though it has to be Motherwell.

The Scotland fans are generally okay, mainly non-OF, which is good.

However, I hate the badge-collectors and the endless debate about points for the supporters club. BORING!

And in Skopje, most were twats. We were told that in no way would Scotland fans be allowed in the home end. However, most of them still got kilted up and were singing 'We'll be coming down the road' 20 m from the gate. I got in because I was plain-clothed and can speak a bit of German. Prepared to flash the old Swiss bank card and claim a true neutral. One of my mates wasn't so fortunate. Most fans were so pished that they didn't realise that Macedonia was hard-core communist less than 20 years before, and it's not like it's Austria where a flash of your scroates can help win over the locals.....

Rant over!

SD

Maybe I'm biased, but I think it's a tougher call for the oldies as we have seen the level of national excitement a World Cup Finals can generate.

It's tough call though because Motherwell has been the day-to-day focus of my footballing interest for many years. If I was forced to choose, I think a successful Scotland campaign might just shade it.

Close, though it has to be Motherwell.

The Scotland fans are generally okay, mainly non-OF, which is good.

Other than the skirt , bumbag and hat with the ridiculous feather is there much of a difference ?

One lot thinks they are soldiers/brigadiers are more interested in politics than the football , have a superiority complex , sing songs about battles hundreds of years ago in among other cringeworthy ditties whereas the other lot ... er erm are a bunch of hypocritical wankers ?

Motherwell. I couldn't give a shit about the national team. Its full of old firm(or ex old firm players) that i hate anyway so why should i support them?

National team doing well in theory raises the footballing credibility of our wee country and might persuade a better quality of player to come and play in the SPL (even for wee teams like us) that wouldn't do so otherwise, both of which have a knock-on effect on crowds, which brings more money into the game etc.

That said, I'm always likely to be more interested in Motherwell than Scotland just because Motherwell games are a far more regular occurrence, and I've invested a lot more of my hard-earned cash going to watch Motherwell than Scotland.

Other than the skirt , bumbag and hat with the ridiculous feather is there much of a difference ?

One lot thinks they are soldiers/brigadiers are more interested in politics than the football , have a superiority complex , sing songs about battles hundreds of years ago in among other cringeworthy ditties whereas the other lot ... er erm are a bunch of hypocritical wankers ?

I do see your point, sir/madam!

However, the way I see it, one half of the OF want to be Oirish whilst the other half supports Engerland..... :nod:

SD

That said, I'm always likely to be more interested in Motherwell than Scotland just because Motherwell games are a far more regular occurrence, and I've invested a lot more of my hard-earned cash going to watch Motherwell than Scotland.

That for me is one of the reasons I'm more of a Scottish football fan, more of a spetacle when it comes around and I always get a sense of occassion (even when we are pish!)

As mentioned already, I think if we had made it to 1 or 2 finals in the past 10years it may be a closer vote!

No contest Motherwell very time and NO WAY would anything Scotland do make up for Motherwell suffering the drop i would like to know if ones who said that remember last time Motherwell were in the old 1st div and also how long it took not just to get back up but to CONSOLIDATE in the top league?