Calderwood Leaves The Dons

'WellGall

just read on teletext that the 2 jimmys and sandy clark have left aberdeen by mutual consent now im wondering if they will now be chasing the gaffer and would he be wanting to talk to them ?. I hope not as i feel he still has work to do at fir park but money talks. Bigger crowds and maybe more money for players not so much buying them but bigger wages what do other well fans think :lol:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aberdeen don't have more money for players than us. Their squad will be worse than us for bareness.

I don't have any idea about budgets and the like, but I don't believe for a second that Aberdeen would have been beaten by St. Johnstone to two Livingston players due to finances.

I don't have any idea about budgets and the like, but I don't believe for a second that Aberdeen would have been beaten by St. Johnstone to two Livingston players due to finances.

They were beaten by a certain club we support for a left back! They will also lose Smith, Severin et al not to mention Miller will probably be looking for a way out rather soon, as I hear Hearts are keeping an eye out not to mention a couple of English Clubs.

I also think you are looking to compare a team signing first team players and one signing squad players.

Would he go to Aberdeen if offered the job? Who knows. He would have more money to play with I reckon but the expectation level would be up a few notches likewise.

I do think that a few sides are going to be losing some important players in the next few weeks so there are some rebuilding jobs going to be taking place at several SPL sides so I'm not quite sure whether from his perspective it might be better to stay put, given the security the Motherwell job offers him or whether to take that "step up" he decided against last summer.

Interesting one.

I think the only reason he wouldn't take it, is if he was holding out for a bigger job i.e. Celtic or down south. He may well think though that one good season up there could do that for him too.

I wonder if Leitchy would go too, I think him with an old head assistant would be the best way forward. A totally new regime ain't what we need right now.

Can Aberdeen afford McGhee? They have been shedding players left and right for the past few seasons as they can'ta fford them and they have this new statdium to play for. As we know, McGhee signed a hefty extension with us last year so where will Aberdeen's money come from to compensate us?

if offered he`d be off like a bat out of hell, I think he has been getting frustrated more over the last month + is possibly looking to go, losing Dobbie after apparently 6 months of groundwork, losing 2 players to St fucking Johnstone + looking like losing Smith,Hughes + Klimpl at least this summer with fuck all to replace them, plus not bothering to go out + clap the fans after the game yesterday,i just feel he`s scunnered

I agree mate, this time last year everyone thought he would go at the end of this season anyway. It's only that his stock has lowered, that the chances of him staying have increased.

From a purely monetary standpoint, a decent compensation package and the loss of his hefty salary could help replenish the squad and cover the cost of the pricey pitchwork. I don't want him to go but it wouldn't nessecarily cripple us if he did.

Telegraph

It's started.........

Calderwood, who moved to Aberdeen from Dunfermline in 2004, was the subject of persistent speculation throughout the season, despite his accomplishment in steering the side to the last 32 of the Uefa Cup last year.

An uncertain start to the current campaign, coupled with continued inability to make an impact in the domestic cup competitions, meant that Calderwood was never truly secure, although he still had two-and-a-half years left on his contract, as did his assistants, Jimmy Nichol and Sandy Clark, who have also left the club.

It is understood that the decision about his future was made last week, but Calderwood was not specific in the immediate aftermath of the 2-1 home victory over Hibernian that saw Aberdeen edge Dundee United out of a place in next season's Europa League. "Time will tell - we've got to talk and we'll see what happens," said Calderwood. "I love Aberdeen - the club and the city. We are going to have to talk about a few things and come to a conclusion - I still have a contract for two years.

"Right now I want to concentrate on what we just achieved. We've got a wonderful record, Jimmy, Sandy and I. We left a club, Dunfermline, when they were in Europe and, outside the Old Firm, we have been the most consistent in the top six of the SPL.

"We've been in Europe three times but there are people who say that it's not good enough."

Asked if he was referring to the letter sent by the supporters' group, Aberdeen FC Trust, and if that had been a particular problem, Calderwood replied: "Nothing has disillusioned me but if you look at the players we have lost in the last few years, we could have had a magnificent team."

McGhee would be a popular choice with many Aberdeen supporters, given his status as one of the legendary side who won the European Cup-Winners' Cup under Alex Ferguson in 1983, plus his accomplishment in taking Motherwell to third place in the SPL last season.

I'll be fucking raging with him if he goes. Not just because he's left us for another club, that would generally be a bit disappointing, but understandable. The reason I'd be so annoyed if he left would be that he was quoted about a month ago saying "I'm not going anywhere, I've a job to do at Motherwell, and I will be here next season!"

Obviously this is all speculation, and I believe he will stay, but if he does go anywhere this pre-season, I would be severely disappointed.

I think the Dons will come after him - no doubt. Whether he would apply I am not too sure given he is under contract.

It is a tad ironic that one of the reasons Calderwood parted ways with Aberdeen was a lack of silverware and more specifically losing to lower league clubs in the Scottish Cup. Sound familiar?

If offered the job I am sure he will take it. All will be revealed soon I am sure. All in all I would be sorry to see the back of him. I am quite sure we will not replace him with anybody better. I would take Butcher back - but that will never happen unless he loses malpish as an assistant and that will never happen.

Oh well - yet another summer of speculation on the Manager.................same sh#t different year!