If You Had The Chance To Improve The Club...

David

Okay, it's a pissy Wednesday afternoon, so here's something to think about.

We'll use the scenario that John Boyle has approached you and asked for your opinion on which aspect of the club you would like to see improved.

He's offered a reasonable sum of money for one idea, and asked for your general opinion on another.

The money can be used to improve some aspect of the east stand, tend to the catering facilities, open a new club shop in the town centre etc.

The idea you have has to be reasonable and realistic.

The second part of the question is what would you personally like to see changed at Fir Park? It can be something like the amount of use the club get out of the function facilities, an idea that you would like to see implemented to improve local community relations etc.

Thoughts and opinions folks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In return for free access to the upper tier chill out stands on summer nights to gaze at the stars. i'd ask the cannabis growing population of North Lanarkshire to consider lending some of their 'cosmic cultivation lamps' to help grow the pitch.

i'm pretty sure we could get a couple of technical wizards on here to wire them up and create a mechanised lightweigh waterproof rig - it might even be an option to let the guys in on the winter nights too to watch the lights spin around in the fog - kinda chill-out / security combined.

I'm sure a generous neighbour on Fir park street would let them plug in their ghetto blaster so that they can belt out their Hawkwind CDs (and at the same time we could piggy back the plug for aforementioned lights)

Failing the mechanised waterproof lightweight light rig coming together - we could always weld them to the back of the tractor that the current ground staff pummel the surface with. It looks as though we'd be on there 24/7 anyway given recent evidence.

I'd like to see us moving around more at throw ins and being less honest in the penalty box

Add an official standing section to the end of the east stand ala Germany and reduce ticket prices for that section in order to try and create some atmosphere at Fir Park again. Or if we move stadium to incorporate this as part of a stand behind the goals. Bit of atmosphere and enthusiasm about the place will want more kids to come back rather than the dullfest we currently sit in at most games.

turn the entire east stand into a "safe standing" terrace, put a bar across the seats to stop them being used + act as a handle/crush barrier,re-plumb the toilets + install a new roof. Then have tickets for it @ £10. USP as the first club in Scotland with such a stand and cheaper prices may entice a few lost fans back.

Second idea id add is really push on the marketing + sales part of the Club such as

1.Have players go to different schools for "football clinics" where the kids train to get healthy as well as get better @ the game,the school gets x amount of free tickets.

2.Have "Welcome Packs" in all new build houses in the `Well area, welcome letter,fixture list,coupon for % off a meal in Centenary Suite,Coupon for free tickets to a game

3.Start a "Business club" , sell packages for seats/boxes to local businesses, as part of package they get ad in programme,logo on their seats,% off club function facilities and monthly "networking lunches" etc

4.Start "Club91" where fans can come for a pre match meal,post match drinks and match ticket all in 1 bundle, good for birthdays,presents etc.

5.Have posters in shops around town advertising games @ Fir Park

Sure theres more ideas but you get the gist.

My view is spend more money on youth development. It has probably been the most profitable part of Motherwell business over the years and has saved us from going bust. We need to develop players we can sell on for £1mm plus and bringing players to the first team squad(easier said than done I know) and to do this we need to invest heavily in coaching, facilities and scouting talent (in a perfect world develop an academy). We have had a good record in this area previously and could develop this further.

I would like to see the stadium given a general facelift and have an area set aside for fans who want o stand and create an atmosphere.

The big thing I think they could do to improve the club would be to reduce ticket prices to trying and get long lost fans to attend on a regular basis. I'd also look at a number of incentives to encourage people to buy season tickets, albeit this is already underway with the pay monthly option and the bring two children for free incentive in the Cooper.

Reduce prices dramatically £10 Adult, £5 Concessions across the board.

Free season tickets to schools/local businesses/new homeowners in the catchment area.

Get rid of the South, Cooper and East stands, replace them with one stand extended from the Cooper all the way round. Surely that would help the lack of natural sunlight our pitch gets, without reducing the capacity by too much. The stands should be steep as fuck (like Tynecastle).

Get the club to subsidise rail travel for travelling fans to and from Motherwell on match days.

Purchase some of the artificial lights the SRU use at Murrayfield, rent them out to other clubs when we're not using them for a wee bit of extra money, soon they'll pay for themselves.

I'd be a great chairman.

Free season tickets to schools/local businesses/new homeowners in the catchment area.

Get rid of the South, Cooper and East stands, replace them with one stand extended from the Cooper all the way round. Surely that would help the lack of natural sunlight our pitch gets, without reducing the capacity by too much. The stands should be steep as fuck (like Tynecastle).

Get the club to subsidise rail travel for travelling fans to and from Motherwell on match days.

Purchase some of the artificial lights the SRU use at Murrayfield, rent them out to other clubs when we're not using them for a wee bit of extra money, soon they'll pay for themselves.

I'd be a great chairman.

You sound like Boyle c.2000

I'd be a great chairman.

The idea you have has to be reasonable and realistic.

1) East Stand to be a standing only terrace - all of it.

2) Booze back at the football

3) Summer Football

4) Free Access/Tickets for ALL under 16 year olds - get them into the routine of going to matches and from Dads having to think about whether of not they can afford to take the kids.

FFS we're one of the cheapest season tickets in the league. Cutting the price is cutting the throat. We need to stay in touch with the opposition, but more reasonable for away fan's and our own.

Seriously 3000+ crowds ain't a long term option.

Plan B- sell our soul to the devil and amalgamate with club Z. Maybe not too far away.

Here is my suggestion dealing with memberships.

MEMBERSHIPS:

Family

Concession

Child

Adult

Now everyone can be a member! Support your Motherwell Football Club by becoming a Social Member.

If you can’t get to every game at Fir Park but still want to support your team, then join us today with your exclusive social membership.

Be part of the MFC football family!

Social Membership includes a full membership pack as well as all membership opportunities such as birthday club, fan days and member news.

Child Membership - Child must be aged 12 or under at the time of purchase.

Family (2) Membership - Can only consist of one adult and one child

Family (4) Membership - Can consist of two adults and two children, or one adult and up to three children.

Concession Membership - Must have a pensioner card with Social Security or HMAF Veterans* proof, or be a full time student.

Children Under 4 - are permitted free entry but they must not occupy a seat.

MEMBER BENEFITS

Only by securing a season or social membership can you get your membership pack.

Your pack includes:

Reserved seating all regular season home games

Membership card

Exclusive member merchandise, including cap, bag, lanyard and sticker

10% discount on all Motherwell FC merchandise at the stadium outlet

Member discount vouchers

Access to member’s section of website

Subscription to Motherwell FC e-newsletter

Member only game day prize draws

Priority booking period to Cup finals

“Wow, what a great experience.

The singing, the stomping, the chanting, the noise.

A live game with all my friends. What a great night/day out.

It beats sitting at home watching it on TV.

Fantastic!

C’mon Ye Well !

HMAF Veterans* All ex sailors soldiers and airmen with ID proof.

Don't come here spouting your Antipodean logic.

Just let us pay over the odds for a half baked product.

If they vote for more of the same, most of us will be done.

We need to get bodies in, be that free Oap's, under 16's, local community clubs, FFS the club can't be that blind to the dropping attendances.

Even the local community initiatiives don't know if they are eligible for free kids passes anymore. Website/communication has a lot to be desired. £40 for 2 hours of coaches on their mobile for half the time.

Pool tables, decent tv and decent pints in the cooper suite and have it operating as a pub/members club. Open maybe 3-4 nights per week + on big games outwith those days.

Potentially a wee bit of an earner, but conscious of taking business away from JD's - don't care much for the Fir Park Club myself.

Football idol - fans go along to a few pre-arranged friendly matches and get a game amongst each other, have judges (coaches) there. Select an 11 out of the best lot and get them to play a wee match against maybe the reserves / under-19's or something and one or two lucky folk get to train with the club with all the gear etc for a month, and if they impress, get a chance to win a wee 6 month deal or something.

Not necessarily gonna yield the next ronaldo but there are a lot of good junior/amateur players out there and you never know! Also would gain exposure in the press as a result and give a really positive vibe of the club, even if none of the players are good enough to take on necessarily.

Just a couple of things i've thought of.

To be honest, I think the club do a good job with the limited resources they have and the size of our support. A number of things we can rightly praise them on:

1. a first class website, probably one of the best looking and most functional in Scotland. If not even the best.

2. Away trip packages when we were in europe - professionally run, and well equipped to deal with just the right size of support there.

3. Collaborating with the trust and other groups to have things like the open forum nights. How many clubs do you know where the manager, chief exec and the like will turn up for these kind of things?

4. Open communication - on here and in other mediums. We are an SPL team. We log onto an unofficial forum. The chief exec of said club posts on here and reads a lot of the thread. That deserves a lot of credit IMO. Especially since Leeann re-iterates time and again of her open door policy with regard emails and discussions with fans.

5. The team. The team deserves a lot of credit for the way they go about their business. On and off the pitch. We are a team that tries to play football and gives opponents the respect they deserve - but not too much :) And our players are a credit to the club off the park in terms of doing work for charity, the community and generally behaving in the professional and polite manner we'd expect of them.

6. Youth development - a fantastic setup we have with such limited resources. Not really much more needing to be said about that.

The general nags I have are more ones that are generic to Scottish football as a whole, and are something we can't really do something about without either A. a change in mentality in the game overall or B. a huge injection to our finances. Such as:

1. Ticket prices. We can't lower ours if no-one else will do the same. It'd kill us.

2. Safe standing areas - I believe the legislation may change on this in future years.

3. The stadium and pitch - Not a lot we can do about it except patch up when we need to. We simply can't afford to either rebuild fir park or move to a new stadium the way that our club and the land value's finances are at the moment.

4. Cheaper replica kit - again, seems to be standard across the board.

5. More exciting football - needs a league restructure and football association legislative changes.

All in all I'd say I'm very proud to support Motherwell, and I think they deserve a lot of credit for what they do. From the players to Leeann, 'Flow, Wilma and the girls, JP etc etc. For me anyway, it seems like myself and the vast majority of people are pissed off at the football club inadvertantly due to issues outwith the club's direct control. I sincerely believe that if there was a way to significantly reduce entry prices and make the game a much more attractive prospect to us in terms of competitiveness and experience, they'd jump on it in a flash.

Pool tables, decent tv and decent pints in the cooper suite and have it operating as a pub/members club. Open maybe 3-4 nights per week + on big games outwith those days.

Potentially a wee bit of an earner, but conscious of taking business away from JD's - don't care much for the Fir Park Club myself.

Football idol - fans go along to a few pre-arranged friendly matches and get a game amongst each other, have judges (coaches) there. Select an 11 out of the best lot and get them to play a wee match against maybe the reserves / under-19's or something and one or two lucky folk get to train with the club with all the gear etc for a month, and if they impress, get a chance to win a wee 6 month deal or something.

Not necessarily gonna yield the next ronaldo but there are a lot of good junior/amateur players out there and you never know! Also would gain exposure in the press as a result and give a really positive vibe of the club, even if none of the players are good enough to take on necessarily.

To be honest, I think the club do a good job with the limited resources they have and the size of our support. A number of things we can rightly praise them on:

1. a first class website, probably one of the best looking and most functional in Scotland. If not even the best.

2. Away trip packages when we were in europe - professionally run, and well equipped to deal with just the right size of support there.

3. Collaborating with the trust and other groups to have things like the open forum nights. How many clubs do you know where the manager, chief exec and the like will turn up for these kind of things?

4. Open communication - on here and in other mediums. We are an SPL team. We log onto an unofficial forum. The chief exec of said club posts on here and reads a lot of the thread. That deserves a lot of credit IMO. Especially since Leeann re-iterates time and again of her open door policy with regard emails and discussions with fans.

5. The team. The team deserves a lot of credit for the way they go about their business. On and off the pitch. We are a team that tries to play football and gives opponents the respect they deserve - but not too much :) And our players are a credit to the club off the park in terms of doing work for charity, the community and generally behaving in the professional and polite manner we'd expect of them.

6. Youth development - a fantastic setup we have with such limited resources. Not really much more needing to be said about that.

The general nags I have are more ones that are generic to Scottish football as a whole, and are something we can't really do something about without either A. a change in mentality in the game overall or B. a huge injection to our finances. Such as:

1. Ticket prices. We can't lower ours if no-one else will do the same. It'd kill us.

2. Safe standing areas - I believe the legislation may change on this in future years.

3. The stadium and pitch - Not a lot we can do about it except patch up when we need to. We simply can't afford to either rebuild fir park or move to a new stadium the way that our club and the land value's finances are at the moment.

4. Cheaper replica kit - again, seems to be standard across the board.

5. More exciting football - needs a league restructure and football association legislative changes.

All in all I'd say I'm very proud to support Motherwell, and I think they deserve a lot of credit for what they do. From the players to Leeann, 'Flow, Wilma and the girls, JP etc etc. For me anyway, it seems like myself and the vast majority of people are pissed off at the football club inadvertantly due to issues outwith the club's direct control. I sincerely believe that if there was a way to significantly reduce entry prices and make the game a much more attractive prospect to us in terms of competitiveness and experience, they'd jump on it in a flash.

i have always said the best football player in the world will be a bin man. and i must be stuck on repeat, im always sayin they should get the scouts down the local parks on a sunday, some beltin players about.

From what I have read and seen about our club from down here I have to agree with what you say. Great post Gaag