2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Right back to my early days going to games. Honestly can't remember if he was much cop but do remember he found the net for us at crucial times during end of season fight against relegation on at least one occasion. Don't think he stayed around to long but did us a turn I think you could say.

A couple of seasons earlier he was top scorer (or one of the top scorers) in Scotland as part of a partnership with Gordon Durie at Hibs. Fair to say one went up the way the other down.

Cowan as I remember came midway through 87'88 season or thereabouts and got a smattering of goals that did indeed help keep us up.

There was one game in particular where we played Dunfermline, who were off the back of a 6-0 win the previous week and were really putting us under pressure near the foot of the table. They raced into a 2-0 lead at Fir Park before Cowan scored twice I think in the second half as we rallied to win 3-2. The following weekend we beat one of the other strugglers Morton, 1-0 and that was us pretty much home and dry after that.

Think there was even some kind of Stevie Cowan Appreciation Society formed in his honour after it!:laugh:

But that was really as good as it got for him. McLean brought in Dave McCabe to replace him, although hat didn't work out and by the end of the following season Stevie Bryce and Dougie Arnott were emerging ahead of him too,

Next season again he spent some time on loan at Albion Rovers and then moved permanently to Portadown across the Irish Sea where he did well as I recall.

He returned sometime later trying to punt insurance to 'Well fans through a sponsorship deal with Edenvale something or other as well.

A couple of seasons earlier he was top scorer (or one of the top scorers) in Scotland as part of a partnership with Gordon Durie at Hibs. Fair to say one went up the way the other down.

Cowan as I remember came midway through 87'88 season or thereabouts and got a smattering of goals that did indeed help keep us up.

Hibs: 1985–1987, 23 goals in 70 appearances.

Motherwell: 1987-1990, 11 goals in 51 appearances.

Portadown: 1990-1993, 59 goals in 79 appearances!

There was one game in particular where we played Dunfermline, who were off the back of a 6-0 win the previous week and were really putting us under pressure near the foot of the table. They raced into a 2-0 lead at Fir Park before Cowan scored twice I think in the second half as we rallied to win 3-2. The following weekend we beat one of the other strugglers Morton, 1-0 and that was us pretty much home and dry after that.

Think there was even some kind of Stevie Cowan Appreciation Society formed in his honour after it!:laugh:

But that was really as good as it got for him. McLean brought in Dave McCabe to replace him, although hat didn't work out and by the end of the following season Stevie Bryce and Dougie Arnott were emerging ahead of him too,

Next season again he spent some time on loan at Albion Rovers and then moved permanently to Portadown across the Irish Sea where he did well as I recall.

He returned sometime later trying to punt insurance to 'Well fans through a sponsorship deal with Edenvale something or other as well.

Actually remember watching him play for Portadown when over in NI for a BB football thing. Can't remember who the opposition was, but they had another ex Dosser Neil Candlish up front for them. Was a crazy experience going to a game there at that time, with soldiers patrolling the ground and armoured vehicles outside it.

On the official site:

'Well capture French youngster

Wednesday, August 24, 2011HermannI23082011.jpg var addthis_product = 'wpp-255';var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true};Gordon Young has moved to strengthen his Under 19s squad with the capture of talented French youngster Hermann Mboa Mekongo.

Mboa Mekongo, a holding midfield player, has been on trial at the club for several weeks and has impressed in friendly and bounce matches, prompting Young to chase his signature.

The eighteen-year old, who was born in Paris, was schooled at several French clubs but was most recently in the youth ranks of fallen giants Racing Club de France.

During his Youth Development schooling, he has also spent time with Ligue 1 club Valenciennes FC and the famed INF Clairefontaine, with its notable former students such as Nicolas Anelka, Abou Diaby, Sébastien Bassong, Louis Saha and Thierry Henry.

Speaking to motherwellfc.co.uk, Head of Youth Development Gordon Young said, "We were given the opportunity to have a look at Hermann and he has held his own. Because of his background, we have registered him as an amateur player but he will still very much form part of our Under 19s squad."

Hermann will most likely form part of the Under 19s squad that will take on St Johnstone at Bathgate this coming Friday – kick-off 1pm.

charalambous.:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

That's what youth development is all about. The majority of them don't make the big time - all you can do is try and identify potential and help develop it.

aye but other youths we are trying to nurture dont get paraded like a new signing.

Didn't think it was him that was involved with that Andy - was it not John Clifford (another ex-player, though he spent most of his time in the reserves - in fact maybe all his time)

Was wondering if this new French youngster is the same one we tried to sign a couple of weeks ago but couldnt because of certain clubs being due money for his development,might be the club have found a way of not having to pay any money by him being registered as an amateur.

Pretty sure the scuppered deal was for a striker.