2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Not saying it's a great signing but it's certainly not an inspiring one and won't get me back to Fir Park in a hurry. All it's going to do is push Page and any other Motherwell youngsters further down the line again. We need a striker and a winger more than anything else and this just appears to be wasting a wage which could of been put to better use. Another Ross, Jones,Jeffers signing.

Uninspiring in late August, maybe we'll all be fawning over how great he is in mid October.

One thing is certain, football is littered with countless players that have went under the radar at one club and moved and been a sensation at their next.

Hope its not a waste of a wage, as pointed out a few of our competitors have found a few wee gems.

I am not going to mock any player that McCall brings in as i trust his judgement and firmly believe he will get the best out of whoever comes in, however a lack of imagination with regards to young loan players either from the EPL or Championship is something that concerns me, there are guys out there and available.

I do reckon that towards Wednesday evening there will be a lot of last minute action with loans possible transfers coming to Fir Park as we sadly will not be a lot of players first option, that is the fact we have to deal with and stay patient as we can til then.

this particular signing just seems like the easy option. st mirren get a decent looking full back from holland, killie sign a rapid young guy from ipswich to play left back. obviously both signings involved contacts/scouting. we hear a killie reserve is told he can leave for free and sign him up. it reminds me of signing meldrum because he lived locally or molloy and keegan because they had the same agent as danny murphy.

Yeh but what you're not taking into account is that the full backs signed by Saints and Killie(Tesselar & Mckeown I think) are their first choice full backs and as such will be on higher wages. We already have Hammell as first choice left back, Hateley first choice right back, Craggs & Hutch first choice centre halfs. We're not signing a defender to slot straight into the first team, we're looking for a utility defender as cover and as such will not be offering high wages hence Clancy. A player to cover for the first team and be back up. We have a limited budget and if McCall goes out to find a better player than Clancy to cover in defence then he might not have enough left to get in the forward/winger we badly need. It's a balancing act to get the most of his budget.

if we sign a decent striker and a winger then i'll be delighted and very confident. if we don't then questions have to be asked why not. st mirren and killie have stronger looking squads than us, i can't imagine they are spending much more than us.

Have they really, look at St.Mirren's bench when they played us last week, hardly strength in numbers.

• 12 Smith,
  • 03 Barron,
  • 20 Kennedy,
  • 39 Thomas Reilly,
  • 16 McQuade,
  • 19 McShane,
  • 32 Lamont

Yeh they signed a young boy on loan from Burnley today but he could well be another Lewis Grabban.

Killie do look like they have a bigger squad but I'm sure they also have a bigger budget. Also the transfer window isn't finished yet, who knows who will come and who will go over the next few days....

St Mirren and Kilmarnock had huge re-building jobs to do this season. Killie lost all their loan players and Danny Lennon realised half his team was pish and has replaced them with some very good players. Out with these first team squads their subs bench is the same as ours (full of kids)

If we sign Daley then I would say we have a decent bench to backup a very good SPL side.

A lot of people seem to forget that our first 11 when fit is one of the best outside the Old Firm - so we haven't needed to sign a large amount of players. Most of us said 3 or 4 player would be needed and by the looks of it McCall has achieved that and more importantly they have been good signings.

• Like 3

I reckon we could do with 2 more signings, Daley and a striker on loan would do me. Hopefully the loanee to be similar to Juke and Blackman.

That's providing Clancy does in fact sign up. Still nothing on the official site.

Its official now Just got a Motherwell News email . offical Site is slow so don't have link

Edit. Here it is now http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2011/08/26/%e2%80%98well-secure-clancy-signing/

I'm happy enough with the Clancy signing. He's a versatile player, with decent SPL experience and should provide some useful cover for our defence. Plenty of people were crying out for more experienced cover so we're not relying on the youngsters to step up. Now that we've got it, people are complaining that we're not giving the youngsters a chance? Okay, it's not a flashy signing, but he can do a job in the SPL, we needed the cover, and it's for a year, so there's no long term tie. What's the issue?

According to Mark Benstead on Twitter, McCall hopes to sign Omar Daley next week...

Read on official site SMC talking about getting red tape and visas sorted. Wonder if work permit could be an issue as most of his caps came a while back. Does his playing in England for so long help with application??

McCall says "I know Omar well and I would like the move to happen. But there is a lot of red tape to cut though - visas and things like that.

"But Omar ticks the boxes in the sense that he can play anywhere up front, like Steve Jones last season.

"He's pacey - he's just what we need and I'd be delighted if we got him tied up, and I'd be happy with what we've got."

I'll be honest and say that if we bring in Daley I would still like to see another out and out striker brought in on loan. Even with Daley amongst our ranks I still think we would be short up front.

If Murphy goes I'd expect/hope to see two loan deals plus Daley. Whether we will get that I'm not sure.

Killie are still looking at player's amazingly enough and Hibs look like signing Griffiths till January. Hopefully we won't get left short as it's a fair bit till January.

I'll be honest and say that if we bring in Daley I would still like to see another out and out striker brought in on loan. Even with Daley amongst our ranks I still think we would be short up front.

If Murphy goes I'd expect/hope to see two loan deals plus Daley. Whether we will get that I'm not sure.

Killie are still looking at player's amazingly enough and Hibs look like signing Griffiths till January. Hopefully we won't get left short as it's a fair bit till January.

Think we will have a few irons in the fire just in case we lose Murphy before the window closes.

St Mirren and Kilmarnock had huge re-building jobs to do this season. Killie lost all their loan players and Danny Lennon realised half his team was pish and has replaced them with some very good players. Out with these first team squads their subs bench is the same as ours (full of kids)

If we sign Daley then I would say we have a decent bench to backup a very good SPL side.

A lot of people seem to forget that our first 11 when fit is one of the best outside the Old Firm - so we haven't needed to sign a large amount of players. Most of us said 3 or 4 player would be needed and by the looks of it McCall has achieved that and more importantly they have been good signings.

i agree about our first XI. with everyone fit i'd be confident of 3 points against anyone outside the old firm. the problem is beyond that. we only have 12 (not counting saunders) outfield players with any real first team experience.

st mirren have 17. killie have 20 and they are still trying to sign players.

it's a long hard winter and i think we need more depth and striker who can do the dirty work for us. we had a great march/april/may last season but it's easy to forget that in the bad weather we were mostly hopeless. our record in november/december the past 3 season is p.24 w.4 l.15 d.5. we need to make sure we don't have another winter slump.

it's a long hard winter and i think we need more depth and striker who can do the dirty work for us. we had a great march/april/may last season but it's easy to forget that in the bad weather we were mostly hopeless. our record in november/december the past 3 season is p.24 w.4 l.15 d.5. we need to make sure we don't have another winter slump.

McCall won't want to make his job any harder than it already is. He'll bring in as many players as the budget dictates but no more.

And our record over the last couple of winters hasn't entirely been dictated by bad weather, a couple of mental managers and a quagmire pitch can take most of the blame.