Motherwell Vs Celtic: Cup Final

dazamfc

well i must say, recently i have been feeling less excited and more nervous about the cup, i think realism had hit after celtics recent results, however... i went round to my dads tonight for a bbq, and he told me he is more than confident of motherwell winning 3-0, obviously i laughed at this, but he then went on to say he was so confident of it thats hes goin to hit the bookies and stick a tenner on it! ( mibi not a big deal to anyone here but it is to me, my dad NEVER bets). his preminition is we will go in at half time 2-0 up then bang in another just before the end. got to say its filled me full of faith for the final and i cant wait now!

BELIEVE!!!

Why is everyone using this 'we've already beaten them already this season' line? Okay I know it's a statement of fact but it matters not a jot in regards to the Scottish Cup Final. That win in February was a fluke, yes a FLUKE. Celtic rolled into Fir Park that day thinking they'd stroll having just thumped Rangers the week before and playing against a side who'd meekly bent over against St.Mirren the previous midweek. They won't make the mistake of underestimating Motherwell again, when was the last time we beat Celtic twice in the one season?

If anything, the fact that we've already beaten them this season will count against us in the final.

Mark my words, Celtic will be more than up for this final as they are absolutely desperate to clinch the double 'for Neil Lennon' given all the off field shite that's been going on AND I believe that they will feel that they still owe us one for 2005 and Skippy Sunday. This Cup Final will be their revenge on us for that day, trust me.

I will be at the final because Motherwell are my club and win or lose, this will be a special day for the club and reaching the Scottish Cup Final is a big achievement for us. But I am under no illusions as to what our part on the day will be - to merely make up the numbers as runners up.

While I think it is good not be over confident going into this, I think you are giving this Celtic team too much praise.

You make it sound as if we didn't play well against them, FLUKE?????

I think it is all well and good to look at the strengths of the Celtic team but we are not too bad ourselves.

We have been getting steadily better under Stuart McCall and the Semi Final last week was very, very professional, we don't usually do things that way.

I have been going to Well games since 1966 and I have seen us in the good times and bad but I have vowed to never, ever talk my team down.

We are stuck in Lanarkshire, a place full of bigots from both sides of the evil, you just have to walk down the street to see the shitey blue and green tops.

I found it hard being a Well fan as the ugly sisters fans unite to slag the team the whole of Motherwell should be supporting.

It must be very difficult to keep our club going when you see the crowds this year and it is why I thank John Boyle for the money he has put into the club, this cup final must be brilliant for him.

Do you not think how guys like Craigan, Lasley and Hammell must be feeling? 3 guys who were with us, left us, then returned home.

This game will be the pinnacle of their careers, they have achieved, just by getting to the final, a place in history that legends like Joe Wark, Willie Pettigrew, Bobby Graham, Johnny Gahagan and James MacFadden couldn't get.

The boys in the East Stand had a banner with the words, "Time for New Heroes" under the 91 cup winning team and that sums it up for me.

Every interview with players now and they mention the pictures of the 91 cup winners around Fir Park and our current players want that cup, make no mistake about it.

You may be right about us losing on the day, that is your opinion.

I will, however, always remember famous victories against the mhanky mhob:-

Mid 70's in the cup, 2 -0 down at half time, we won 3-2 with the winner by Willie Pettigrew.

1991, 2-1 down at half time in the Scottish Cup Semi Final Replay we won 4 -2.

Then there was Skippy Sunday, 1 -0 down at half time, yes we won 2-1.

Every single one of those games the Celtic team were "absolutely desperate" to beat us. You know what?................................... They couldn't!!!!

3 - 0 down to Hearts today, no way we could come back??? WRONG..............................

Final score Hearts 3 - Motherwell 3. This team wants to win, trust me.

We should go there and sing our wee hearts out, we might get a doing but you know what???????

We might just WIN THE CUP!!!! C'MON THE WELL

• Like 6

In terms of this thread, having scanned your first post on the Cup it'll be the last post of yours I'll read before the game.

You can give us all your arguments about following logic, steeling yourself in case we do lose and whatever else flows out of the dripping tap of negativity that is your outlook on Motherwell.

But you know what, when we're looking forward to a Cup Final of all games I just don't want to hear it. If we get pumped on the day we're all grown up enough to deal with it then without some fucking misery chick, that probably ran about the playground at school as a wean telling all the Primary One's that Santa doesn't exist, telling us of our impending doom a month before the game has even been played.

Away and post on a Radiohead forum or something for the next month and let the rest of enjoy our child like excitement without you trying to burst folk's bubbles.

• Like 1

You’ve always a chance no matter who you are playing, there are lots of examples of so called “lesser” teams who are only there to make up the numbers, who eventually upset the odds. Billy McNeil said that Motherwell’s chance had gone after the first 91 semi final. He stated that you only get one chance to beat the old firm, how wrong he was. Celtic will be favourites for the final, but you’ve just got to hope that on the day their highly paid stars play slightly below par, and Motherwell play to their best. We can do this.

Can see where MJC is coming from in trying to apply logic and common sense but if that was the way football worked then our coupons would be up every week and the bookies wouldn't allow any bets on the favourites cos they would always win!!

In terms of money and capacity then Celtic are miles ahead of us and always will be, in terms of recent form then they will always be ahead as well although that gap is currently smaller than it has been all season but in terms of pressure and expectation - then it all sits on them and once their own fans get on their backs then it tends to go tits up!!

For the timmies it's no more than another cup final against a diddy team but for us it's the whole weekend from Friday night beers and drunken chats about expectations etc, to a glorious Saturday with the players running out to a sea of Claret and Amber and a wall of noise and then the expectation that comes with not booking the flight home til late on Sunday so I can watch the bus parade as they show off the cup!!!!

All with the fallback of having already qualified for Europe evilgrin.gif

So as I said at the beginning, I can see where MJC is coming from but thank feck you can't apply logic or common sense to football and for the next month we will have more fun, expectation and drunken hope than we have had in many years and no dismal whinging, common sense or negativity can take that away.

Here's to possibly our best season in living memory cheers.gif

They can never make us feel as bad as they did that day. Never, ever, ever, and that's a good feeling. :thumbup:

Exactly. Winning a one-off cup game for which they're comfortable favourites would be so far away from "revenge" it's ridiculous. When they snatch a league title from us in the last ten minutes of the last day of the season, then they can talk about revenge.

Got myself a second hand kilt for 80 poons the other day for this game, I'm right up for it and confident our lads can turn up and give them a game, they seem like a bunch that can focus when it comes to the crunch.

It's going to be a belter win or lose.

where did you get the kilt?

Let's be realistic here, we're not going to win the Cup because we will not be able to get the better of Celtic at Hampden with a trophy at stake, not a prayer.

Can I just ask, in all seriousness, why the fuck do you even bother? Why not pack in supporting (and I use that term in the loosest possible sense) Motherwell and go do something you'll actually enjoy?

Or are you just one of those negative, sad sack characters in general?

Was a trophy not at stake on Skippy Sunday or did I miss suhin?

Yep, a Premier League championship trophy, winner takes all.

When we beat them in 77 or 78 in the 3 -2 game it was the 3rd round of the Scottish Cup and in 1991 it was the Semi Final of the Scottish Cup.

Forgot to mention the 3rd round Scottish Cup game in 93 or 94 when Tommy Coyne scored the winner.

Every game was a "must win" for them and they had to beat us, but guess what?..................................................They Couldn't !!!!!!!!!!!

Roll on the 21st of May.................................COME ON YE WELL !!!!!!!!!!!

Got myself a second hand kilt for 80 poons the other day for this game, I'm right up for it and confident our lads can turn up and give them a game, they seem like a bunch that can focus when it comes to the crunch.

It's going to be a belter win or lose.

Who's all wearing a kilt to the final????

I'll need to put mine in for a serious industrial deep clean after my European adventure to Odense. :blink::tumbleweed::drinks::laugh::blink:

Just seen a pic of the Timmies hijacking the "turn your backs" Man City celebration ,got me thinking. Be great if we could come up with or hijack a wee chant / song to get the Well end bouncing as the players came out. (you are my well,my only well is a bit pish to be honest ) Something simple people could pick up easily even in the hour before kick off. Imagine if the players walked out to that.

Mon the Well

i usually bite my tongue on here because im generally a nice guy and cant be fucked with arguing on the Internet but this mjc is doing me swede in.

Hes either on a wind up or hes suffering depression or something.

No offence mate but if this forum had a feature where you can block users you would be very lonely on here.

Is there a reason why your so negative? :mellow:

i usually bite my tongue on here because im generally a nice guy and cant be fucked with arguing on the Internet but this mjc is doing me swede in.

Hes either on a wind up or hes suffering depression or something.

No offence mate but if this forum had a feature where you can block users you would be very lonely on here.

Is there a reason why your so negative? :mellow:

He cant get the lid off his bottle of Moggadon Extra