Motherwell Vs Celtic: Cup Final

dazamfc

I see Celtic have lost Joe Ledley for the rest of the season, hope more players follow suit and join him in an early summer holiday :thumbup:

he was absolutely dire in the 2 games against us at at fir park so it's not that much of a boost.

No harm to the guy but Celtic player Joe Ledley out for the season and that includes the final.

i don't understand this. a broken leg or ankle isn't that big a deal in the scheme of things. ledley will still be picking up 20 grand a week and will no doubt have some right good painkillers. fuck him.

There's a guy on telly over here who basically has his own TV station. Harold Camping is his name, and he is one of those weird religious guys who has 'decoded' the bible to identify when the world will end.

He is predicting that 'The Rapture' will take place on May 21st 2011. He doesn't have much of a track record (a bit like the MJC of the religous nutter brigade), but I hope we manage to pick up the trophy before it all starts.

:drinks:

And it starts:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13239514.stm

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has played down suggestions that he is interested in signing Motherwell striker John Sutton in the summer.The former midfielder was a team-mate of the 27-year-old Englishman during his spell with Wycombe Wanderers.

"John is a good player," said Lennon. "I've known him for a while.

"He has had a very good season, but it is speculation more than anything else. I am not going to talk about targets at the minute."

Indeed, Lennon added that he does not want any of his current squad to leave the club in the summer.

Gary Hooper, Anthony Stokes, Georgios Samaras and Darryl Murphy are all out-and-out strikers already at Lennon's disposal, while Morten Rasmussen is due to return to Celtic Park after his loan spell in his homeland with Danish outfit Aalborg.

And Shaun Maloney, Kris Commons and James Forrest can also be utilised in forward roles.

Sutton, whose older brother Chris had a six-year spell at Celtic Park, is Motherwell's top scorer this season but is approaching the end of his contract.

And Well manager Stuart McCall on Saturday said that his club had made the best offer they could to keep Sutton.

The striker started his career with Tottenham Hotspur and had loan spells with Carlisle United and Swindon Town before springing to prominence with Raith Rovers.

That led to a move to Millwall, but he struggled with the Championship side before shining again in Scotland on loan to Dundee.

In 2005, he moved to St Mirren, helping the Paisley side win promotion to the Scottish Premier League, before joining Wycombe in 2007, only for his contract to be cancelled by mutual consent after only a year.

Sutton returned to Scotland's top flight with Motherwell in 2008 and helped them qualify for the Europa League that season.

His 17 goals this term have helped the Fir Park side clinch a top-six finish in Scotland's top flight and qualify for the Scottish Cup final at Hampden, where they will face Lennon's side on 21 May.

Since making the final my biggest worry has been that McCall believes our semi-final 4-4-2, with Murphy and Humph wide, and Sutton and Jeffers up front, is our best and only formation. The majority on here thought this was the way to go against St J, me too, but I am convinced the Celtic midfield will have us on toast if we try this in the final.

The game against Rangers on Sat showed what should be obvious, that a pair of attacking wingers with Las and Jennings is extremely lightweight and will get overrun if matched against another more balanced four. Actually, if we're honest this happened for large periods in the semi, and for 70 mins and Tyncastle. 4-4-2 allows us to play four in form attacking players and no doubt this has proved brilliantly effective in key games this season, usually on the basis that we get a goal or two in the first half hour. However, Celtic's battling midfield is their greatest strength and will not allow us time to gather momentum in a Hampden final. We must IMO outnumber them in the middle, get a little more defensive, and allow Murph and Humph to stream forward from wide into a 4-3-3 when we get the ball in a decent position. Sutton in the middle with Jeffers on the bench obviously.

I'm posting this now mainly out of frustration after the Rangers game as I really thought we'd go five in the middle against a stronger team hunting for the title, as a dress rehearsal for the final if nothing else. No surprise we got pumped. Contrary to several comments we were not the better team in the first half, we played the ball around well but looked flimsy and liable to lose goals from the outset. Really hoping to see a change of emphasis emerging in our remaining games. May well be that McCall wouldn't dream of matching up against Celtic in this manner of course, he employed a 3/5 in the middle at FP and we beat them 2-0. Surely we'll need some bedding in before Hampden though?

Thoughts?

Edited by Cakes
Merged into existing thread,

Have to say I agree.

From early in Saturday's game I could see that Davis & Edu were getting too much space against Las and Jenno and we should have stuck Hately in there.

I think the formation we played when we beat Celtic 2-0 serves best - it is a 4-5-1 when required as that keeps their full backs covered and we can break quickly as a 4-3-3 with the speed of Murph & Humph.

I think we need 3 in centre mid as the Celtic centre will be stronger this time with Kayal in there.

We will get completely overrun if we play 442.

Need an extra man in midfield to try and get some control of the game. Whiel Jeffers offers excellent movement we need to be solid so I'd keep him on the bench. Hopefully we can keep the game tight and then we can get a decent half hour out of him.

Question for me is who is the 3rd man in midfield. Hateley? Given the threat coming down the left from Commons and Izaguerre I'd be inclined to keep Hateley at right-back, unless Maurice Ross can come onto a game.

Bollocks to all this keeping it tight stuff. Sit in and defend then they score its game over. We need to fly out the traps like we did in the league game.

In the league game we went 4-5-1!

Jeffers injured and Forbes came in as the extra in midfield - Humph & Murph kept Emilio & Wilson quiet.

Bollocks to all this keeping it tight stuff. Sit in and defend then they score its game over. We need to fly out the traps like we did in the league game.

We flew out the traps by going toe to toe with them in midfield though and playing 1 upfront. Lasley and Forbes got right in their faces that day. I don't want us to sit back as our defence is our main weakness; I'm wanting our midfield to get a grip of the game with the intention of being able to release Murphy and Humphrey.

Big difference as well from playing on our tattie field to Hampden.

We'd be mental playing 4-4-2 in the final.

Absoultely agree we should player similar 4-5-1 we played when we beat Celtic. Sure might be a touch predictable but barring Celtic having a stunning off day if we went with the recent 4-4-2 I can only see us shipping goals.

And as much as I reckon Hutchison is a decent defender and hopefully nailed on starter next season I really hope in the final it is Gunning as the left of the two centre backs.

I can't see Craigan not starting so assuming he does I hope it Hutch on the bench. There is a case to be made for dropping Craigan but I just don't see it happening.

99% of managers in an occasion like this will be looking for experienced heads in the team and Craigan provides that though I certainly fear he could end up being the weak link. Fingers crossed we all get a fairytale day out and ends up with Craigan lifting the cup but not convinced on recent form he is an ingredient in our strongest back pairing!

Pretty much the full game on Saturday, Maurice Ross was going mental at the midfield trying to get them to keep it tighter, trying to get Jones and Murphy to tuck in and allow Las and Jenno to get closer....and he was absolutely spot on, and he was understandably frustrated as no-one listened to him (in fairness possibly under instruction from someone with more clout that Ross).

Jones and Murphy, and Humphrey all work well going forward when we're playing a team we can take the game to (and that includes Celtic due to the way they play), but against Rangers every time we lost the ball in their half they didn't even have to bother trying to work it wide, they just bulldozed their way straight up the middle of the park through the massive gap in between Lasley and Jennings. Even if they had moved in to try and close down at that point, it's far too late because it then means they are leaving another man free and the ball just gets popped through.

They only have two options, stay with their man and leave a huge gap through the middle, or close down and signpost an obvious pass in behind them to the man thats then left spare.

• Like 1

My Celtic supporter mate was asking where the fight was from the Motherwell team they showed in the Celtic game. Good point, and maybe the extra midfielder was the reason. Also the great start we got helped.

My team would be.

Randolph

Hately

Craigan

Hutchison

Hammell

Humphrey

Jennings

Forbes

Lasley

Murphy

Sutton

Subs: hollis, gunning, Saunders, Jeffers, jones.

Edited to add. Forgot about mo Ross, who could be another option at right back, and has experience and height on hately. Would be harsh to drop hately, but I don't think he's effective In midfield...

Saunders aerial threat makes him difficult to rule out too. Forbes and hately are Both prone to not turn up at all, and Forbes lack of pace/fitness is a concern.

4-5-1 becoming 4-3-3 going forward is a must, personnel is a bit of a problem, I'm arguing with myself here!

I personally think 4-5-1 is the way to go

the strongest way to do this i recon is

----------------------randolph--------------------

ross------hutchison----craigan-hammell

humphrey-lasley---jennings-hateley-murphy

------------------- sutton-----------------------------

with sutton up front and murphy cutting between midfiled and up front then we should be able to out fight them in the middle where we realy need to win our battles to give us a chance, it would also give us a reasonably strong bench aswell with jeffers, gunning, saunders, forbes, mchugh.

We'd be mental playing 4-4-2 in the final.

Absoultely agree we should player similar 4-5-1 we played when we beat Celtic. Sure might be a touch predictable but barring Celtic having a stunning off day if we went with the recent 4-4-2 I can only see us shipping goals.

And as much as I reckon Hutchison is a decent defender and hopefully nailed on starter next season I really hope in the final it is Gunning as the left of the two centre backs.

I can't see Craigan not starting so assuming he does I hope it Hutch on the bench. There is a case to be made for dropping Craigan but I just don't see it happening.

99% of managers in an occasion like this will be looking for experienced heads in the team and Craigan provides that though I certainly fear he could end up being the weak link. Fingers crossed we all get a fairytale day out and ends up with Craigan lifting the cup but not convinced on recent form he is an ingredient in our strongest back pairing!

gunning? are you kidding?

watch the highlights again. the first goal is his fault for putting a shitebag challenge in on lafferty and he did the same thing at the fifth on whittaker. at the the third he is gently jogging back and pretty much stops 10 yards away from goal instead of trying to sprint in and challenge jelavic. it's not the first time he has cost us goals either.

it'll be the team from the cis semi with ross in for saunders.