Pre Season Match/Tour Thread

Finlay

Now that Season 2010-11 is behind us we only have about 8 weeks until the real stuff kicks off again. Seems to get shorter and shorter each year. I'd say we are about 5 weeks maximum away from playing our first 'friendly'. They aren't the best of games by any stretch but when you haven't seen a game for a while they are a nice return to football where you can watch your team (usuaually with the added bonus of a few trialists) in the rare knowledge thay you are not (entirely :whistling: ) fussed by the result.

In recent years our European adventures have put a 'normal' pre season to the side. Which has been a good thing. The fact we didn't know what our summer was going to look like until the back of four on Saturday 21st May might mean we are cobbling together fixtures at the last minute. The dregs of friendly fixtures could await.....but that might suit some.

So what do you fancy....whilst being realistic. Second/Third Diviosn teams away in an effort to score a few grounds off the list? One or two so called 'glamour friendlies' with Championship teams at Fir Park? Or a wee tour/competition with lower league teams in Englandshire? That would be my vote.

...............or bury the heid away until we play Celtic at Fir Park on Sat 23rd July :evilgrin:

+1. Don't mind the fact that the team needs them as pre-season prep, but don't charge punters for the privilege of watching the team work out.

Mildy entertaining at times but need to be priced accordingly. Lets be honest if we were ever able to get Barcelona like (I thnk) Hibs and Hearts did there would be some crowd at Fir Park. Sadly, that is not even an option.....and focusing on what comes next takes my mind off what just happened ;)

A wee tour of North England would be nice.

Aye, Motherwell, Carlisle, Hartlepool, and 'Boro ;) in a two day tournament held at Brunton Park.

Back up the road to scud Airdie, Accies, and Albion Rovers in another one held at Fir Park.

'King of Lanarkshire' trophy in the bag (obviously) then Celtic on the 23rd :evilgrin:

+1. Don't mind the fact that the team needs them as pre-season prep, but don't charge punters for the privilege of watching the team work out.

i really hate it when i get dragged out the house at gunpoint, trasnported to a game then forced hand over my cash to get in.

there really should be a choice in whether you go or not.

• Like 2

Mildy entertaining at times but need to be priced accordingly. Lets be honest if we were ever able to get Barcelona like (I thnk) Hibs and Hearts did there would be some crowd at Fir Park.

There would, but I don't even know if that would persuade me. If there isn't a competitive edge, then it's often more interesting watching the yellow paint dry on the steps.

No point kidding ourselves its a sure thing our pre season will be a tour of the highlands or couple of away ties to 2nd/3rd division teams with someone like Ayr being the highlight.

McCall might prefer a trip down South although we could have left it a bit late. At the very least we will get a game against Bathgate Thistle.

There is no point of having a friendly match against teams in leagues bellow motherwell but i do see the point in friendlies against premier league teams etc. IF advertised well enough a game v a premier league side could pull a half decent crowd on a sunny evening and that gives the club a chance to earn a few extra bob. It also gives the players a chance to test themselves against supposedly better opposition.

They should never get so long off anyway.

The money they make, they should have 2 weeks off at Xmas and 2 weeks in the summer like the rest of us.

There is no point of having a friendly match against teams in leagues bellow motherwell but i do see the point in friendlies against premier league teams etc. IF advertised well enough a game v a premier league side could pull a half decent crowd on a sunny evening and that gives the club a chance to earn a few extra bob. It also gives the players a chance to test themselves against supposedly better opposition.

They should never get so long off anyway.

The money they make, they should have 2 weeks off at Xmas and 2 weeks in the summer like the rest of us.

Nonsense. Why is there no point in having friendlies against lower league opposition? Brechin, Forfar, and Ayr didn't do us any harm last summer. We needed a last minute goal to beat Ayr and just scrapped past Forfar. We have very little chance of attracting an EPL Club to Fir Park these days......but then again what would they get from playing against lesser opposition?

Nonsense. Why is there no point in having friendlies against lower league opposition? Brechin, Forfar, and Ayr didn't do us any harm last summer. We needed a last minute goal to beat Ayr and just scrapped past Forfar. We have very little chance of attracting an EPL Club to Fir Park these days......but then again what would they get from playing against lesser opposition?

because pre season friendlies are all about preparation. Whats the point in preparing for hearts,rangers,Celtic,Dundee utd etc by playing Brechin, Forfar, and Ayr?

So what's the point in Everton, Wigan, Bolton etc. preparing for Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea etc. by playing Motherwell? It is as much about fitness and learning to play WITH new teamates than AGAINST the opposition.

Slightly off topic but in one of these friendlies id like to see Hump playing behind Sutton or whoever or big striker is ala Rooney (only not as good). The big man wins the ball & Hump picks up the knock down & he's charging straight at their central defence plus his shooting is better than his crossing. Just try it in one meaningless friendly just to see if it would work.