Pre Season Match/Tour Thread

Finlay

Gutted to be missing the opportunity to watch my 2 fav teams.

Motherwell is very accessible by train from Yorkshire so 3-4K travelling fans wouldn't surprise me. Look how many they took to Exeter.

you will be very suprised how many leeds fans from lancashire and cumbria are making the journey by train..

very cheap indeed with tickets less than £28 from lancaster.

leeds had around 6700 at coventry with hundreds also in the coventry end.

and over 5,000 at crystal palace which is the most difficult ground in england to get to.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XRkJ5QVfiRU

In the papers today that Alexei Eremenko is playing as a trialist for Leeds in this game at the weekend.

Cracking player, you wonder why he has to play trial matches.

Maybe to prove his fitness? He was a bit of a fat bastard last year!

theres no doubt Leeds are a massive club and I for one am looking forward to seeing them play at FP, although I do hope we can get a good result to stop the English saying our game is atrocious!!!

looking forward to seeing Becchio, Snodgrass and if McCormack still has a trick or two up his sleave - just read that Leeds have also signed Michael Brown - great player, altho he is pushing on a bit - playing against these players is a great test to see where MFC really is in terms of quality. No doubt the 1st 3 all have ambitions of playing in the EPL - and probably could, and Brown has played there for years

very cheap indeed with tickets less than £28 from lancaster.

i find this bit hilarious - can you imagine thats what it cost us to go to an away game - there would be a mass outcry!!!!!!!

£28 is what it would cost me in petrol to go to see Motherwell play in Dundee, Edinburgh, Perth etc. I'm looking forward to this game and I make it no secret Leeds United are my other team. Although obviously still want Motherwell to win!! Hopefully Gradel, Snodgrass, Becchio and McCormack are playing. Hopefully get to speak to some Leeds fans as I have plenty questions about the medias perceptions about the Revie era, chasing the dream and the fall from grace/Bowyergate, -15, Ken Bates, concerns and their promotion chancesand why they are so hated!!

£28 is what it would cost me in petrol to go to see Motherwell play in Dundee, Edinburgh, Perth etc. I'm looking forward to this game and I make it no secret Leeds United are my other team. Although obviously still want Motherwell to win!! Hopefully Gradel, Snodgrass, Becchio and McCormack are playing. Hopefully get to speak to some Leeds fans as I have plenty questions about the medias perceptions about the Revie era, chasing the dream and the fall from grace/Bowyergate, -15, Ken Bates, concerns and their promotion chancesand why they are so hated!!

I see Patrick Kisnorbo also plays for Leeds. Don't know if you remember him from his time at Hearts but I seem to remember Jim Paterson ripping the piss out him down the East stand side. :thumbup:

Ok lets start talking about our strongest team for the Leeds match, i would go with, Law playing off the front two, it is clear that he has a wide range of passes, and is equally at home on either flank, i think he is the player we have desperatley missed last season, as we lacked that final killer pass. I still think there is a place for Craggs but why not give this formation a try against what is arguably one of the big guns down south, if it works against them surely it will work against most teams in the SPL. I am really excited about this match, ok i might not get the formation right but i like the players below and would like to see all of them start, not had much chance to form an opinion of Higdon yet but hopefully he is feeling his way into the season.

RANDY

Hateley - Huchinson - Saunders - Hammel

Humphrey - Lasley - Jennoe -

Law

Higdon Murphy

Think we deffo need a lefty centrehalf for a bit of balance in the middle. Come on Gunning, you know it makes sense. Anyway, i'll have Crags ahead of Saunders in that line up.

Would snap Gunning up in a second! Good call

I'm a Chelsea fan and get down for between 8 - 12 games a season at The Bridge plus any northern based away games, tickets permitting. Any Leeds fan who knows his stuff will tell that Chelsea and Leeds have a fierce rivalry that goes back over 40 years. (1970 Cup Final - Acknowledged as probably THE most brutal game ever!) So I'll be there on Saturday hoping that Motherwell give them a good leathering. Couple of Chelsea friends up staying for a long weekend will also be attending, should be fun.

Leeds View

Thought this paragraph interesting on their win last night..........

The second half commenced, and was quite frankly deathly dull, Robert Snodgrass getting United’s second with a header. The only significant events on the pitch were Kisnorbo playing about an hour, without his headband, but with the armband as captain. Ben Parker also played 45 minutes; Ross McCormack was awful whilst Snoddy and Ramon Nunez sounded good in the first half on the radio.

Ok lets start talking about our strongest team for the Leeds match, i would go with, Law playing off the front two, it is clear that he has a wide range of passes, and is equally at home on either flank, i think he is the player we have desperatley missed last season, as we lacked that final killer pass. I still think there is a place for Craggs but why not give this formation a try against what is arguably one of the big guns down south, if it works against them surely it will work against most teams in the SPL. I am really excited about this match, ok i might not get the formation right but i like the players below and would like to see all of them start, not had much chance to form an opinion of Higdon yet but hopefully he is feeling his way into the season.

RANDY

Law

Higdon Murphy

Chris Humphrey in a central midfield three? As good as a man short in my opinion in there.....

That 11 could work just fine but by playing people in their strongest positions....

Was chatting to a couple of leeds fans on holiday and they think we have a good chance of beating them. They spent most of the time slating their full team except for snodgrass - felt like I was reading this forum :evilgrin:

really looking forward to this game!

Ok lets start talking about our strongest team for the Leeds match, i would go with, Law playing off the front two.

I was a wee bit disappointed last night that we didn't see more younger players like Carswell, Pollock and Halsman getting on or even starting last night.

Anyway, they didn't and it looked to me as if McCall started with his strongest line up and the one that barring injury and suspension that will start the season and probably the match against Leeds.

Looked to me as if we were playing with a front 'diamond' with Higdon or McHugh up front, Murphy playing centrally behind them, Humphrey on the right wing and Law on the left wing, with the full backs filling in in midfield when attacking (1-3-4-2) and the wingers dropping back when defending (1-1-4-4).

Be interesting to see if we set up like that against Leeds, if so, I think that will be our default setting for the season.

Any time a Scottish team plays an English team, be it a friendly or not, I think there's an added aspect to the game, and certainly hope that's the case on Saturday.

With this being our last pre-season game as well I think we're in for a good 'un.

RANDY

Law

Higdon Murphy

Chris Humphrey should be absolutely no where near the centre of midfield. If you're going with Law behind the front two and a midfield three, you play three midfielders who can actually play there - you don't stick an out and out winger there for no apparent reason.

Chris Humphrey should be absolutely no where near the centre of midfield. If you're going with Law behind the front two and a midfield three, you play three midfielders who can actually play there - you don't stick an out and out winger there for no apparent reason.

That is a flexable formation, with Law floating across the park! You have missed my point entirely, ok ill set it up like this so you will understand where i was coming from.

Any formation you like at the back

Jennoe Lasley

Humphrey Law (Law still has the authority to roam across the park)

Murphy Higdon

That is how i mean it, sorry to confuse you.

You have missed my point entirely, ok ill set it up like this so you will understand where i was coming from.

You can't expect anyone to understand where you were coming from if you quite blatantly list Humphrey alongside Lasley and Jennings in midfield.

For what it's worth, I don't think your actual system would work in the slightest. If you have Humphrey on the right wing (which I'm assuming is what you mean, because you're not going to have a narrow 4-2-2-2 as it would provide absolutely no width), and Lasley or Jennings (or both) presumably pushing forward when attacking, then Law would automatically end up out on the left anyway, as by roaming anywhere else he'd be getting in the way of the other midfield players.

You either play Law behind the front two with three central midfielders behind him, or you play him on the left (or of course in the centre of midfield), but having a midfield pairing of Lasley and Jennings, Humphrey on the right wing, and Law roaming about the place is a pretty unworkable system.

first real test of this years pre season, I've no idea of Leeds strengths and weakness but I do know that we'll need to play our best to beat them.

Anyway as always I'm just looking forward to watching the Well