Pre Season Match/Tour Thread

Finlay

At last, a pre-season friendly I really enjoyed. On paper it will show a 2-1 loss with them also missing a penalty and a goal chopped off, however what I witnessed was a different game completely.

The interplay between the three left sided players was fantastic, just an improvement on from Wednesday. Our goal was well worked and sliced Leeds open. We looked more than a match for them but they are two weeks behind us and I did think they had a bad day at the office. Halsman looked capable when he came on and I was really encouraged by Ross Forbes contribution.

Now for the negatives, Higdon was again wanting, Humphrey frustrating at times but great ball for Murphy to slot home. Murphy again went AWOL for 30 minutes in the second half. I doubt Hutchinson will ever have a more error ridden and woeful afternoon in C&A. The only person other than Law who seems to understand that if you are meant to pass the ball slightly ahead of a runner so they don't have to check their run is Forbes. Randolph made one error I think last season, I'm glad this seasons gaff is out the way already. Finally there appeared to be a reluctance from a few to take a snap shot, but rather take a touch and then have their angle closed down .... have a dig boys.

Despite the result I think McCall will be happy with today and knows where we need work. I'm certainly encouraged ahead of ICT coming to town next week.

Very positive after today's performance. We played some very good fitba and on another day would've netted another couple of goals. At times we outplayed Leeds and there's no way we deserved to lose. Randy will never make another error like he did today, and although Gradel and Nunez liked very well for the winner, there was a suspicion of offside.

If we can play like that throughout this season then Top Six is almost certain. That said I'd like us to bring in AT LEAST another two signings in order to be fully competitive and account for injuries etc.

as pre season friendlies go this game was pretty enjoyable with us playing some decent stuff at times and scoring a well worked goal.murphys run in the 2nd half was quality if he had scored we wouldve went on and won the game.we really need another couple of players in pretty quick with a striker being the priority imo

Aye, if we play like that next week we will pump inverness rotten. Law is a class apart, always lets the ball run across him to open up the pitch. Murphy is being used at his best. Dropping deep, picking the ball up and running at them... Willie collum is a clown. I hope the "i didnt see it so cant give it" cop-out doesnt become a formality next season.

Good game today! very impressed with Law so far, he's the mutts nuts so it seems!

Forbes had a good 2nd half, still heard some fuds shouting at him which is disappointing. Thought Humphrey was poor today, his touch has never been good but it totally deserted him today, if he wasn't so fast he'd be very pish indeed.

Higdon looks a bit unfit at the moment but I'm sure he'll improve as the season goes on.

P.S Willie Collum is a wank whistling.gif

Good game, decent performance

• Murphy and Law were class
  • Think People are being a bit harsh about Higdon but it hardly suprises me.
  • Ross Forbes had a really good game but I can't tell if that was because the pace of pre season game suits him.
  • Hutchinson showed he still has a long way to go to be the player some on here think he's going to be.
  • Humphrey was frustrating at times but put in several good crosses including the goal.

All in all I was reasonably satisfied with the way we played, some really good passing football and great link up play especially down the left. Defence looked a bit shaky at times but overall if we can add a couple of more players I think we could be in for a decent season.

a good showing and one in the eye for the naysayers who were talking the match down :whistling:

we started well and leeds seemed to respond rather than sit back and be dominated and it ended up a very decent match. i thought we showed plenty of ability but after las and hammell went off their experience and the fact the fact they are generally bigger and stronger told a bit.

it's a wee bit of a concern that we've created so many chances over the past two matches and only scored two goals but you always see a wee jump from the friendlies to the first game and i reckon we should be ok.

overall you've got to be optimistic for the season. murphy, hammell and law looked a lot sharper today than against thistle so i think we're in for a season of sexy fitba down the left (right in front of seat D154 every first half :thumbup: ) .

Attendance 4798, with around 2300 or so Leeds fans. That's a terrific attendance - and well done to Leeds fans for turning up in such numbers.

That is a decent attendance on Fare Saturday, and just under 2k Leeds fans is a damn decent effort on their part.

Delighted to hear the positive notes coming from those at the game.

More competitive match than I thought it would be today. Thought Murphy had a great game and Law (who really looks a top signing) and Hammell played really well together. Still can't really get on board with Higdon and have slight concerns about our ability to put away our chances (which imo was one of our main problems last season. Still if we can play like that week in week out we shouldn't have too much to worry about this coming season :)

Attendance 4798, with around 2300 or so Leeds fans. That's a terrific attendance - and well done to Leeds fans for turning up in such numbers.

You're not famous anymore... :laugh:

But congratulations for such a support in a meaningless friendly, made for a good atmosphere.

Surely Motherwell in that retro strip should have been smoking pipes as they kicked-off in true Cholomdeley-Warner fashion.

why were the Motherwell support so quiet?

I think it had a lot to do with the cooper being shut, most of the cooper folk were in the east stand loads of weans around.

Pretty sure normal (Saturday) service will be resumed at the opening fixture next weekend.

Good workout today. A step up through the gears on Wednesday's game as well. One of the better pre-season games of recent times.

Law looks great, Murphy looks sharp. Couple of players look like they need to sharpen the tools over the first few weeks but overall I think we're in as good a shape as we can be given the resources at our disposal.

A couple of the fringe players look like there willing to get in about it so add to that a couple of loanees and one more bona fide signing and we're off and running to see what the new season brings.

Even though a few had a right good go at it, given what he's got at his disposal McCall's done as well as he can to give us the best chance possible in improving on last season

Great pre season match. Both sides had a right go and to see that was very heartening, was played like a competitive fixture which can only help for next week.

Thought Murphy and Law ran the show at times. Our attacking play at times was fantastic but our defence was a bit shaky at set pieces so I think there could be a few goals next week, not just for us right enough!

Thought a draw was the fairest result today but no complaints with the overall performance.