New Strip

something else

If Umbro can do it on their £40-£45 replica tops, surely Puma can do it on theirs. It seems like penny pinching on Puma's part, if not that, laziness to do the job right. It's certainly odd that Xara can produce a top with a properly embroidered badge and all Puma can offer is a printed patch sewn on to the top.

If Umbro can do it on their £40-£45 replica tops, surely Puma can do it on theirs. It seems like penny pinching on Puma's part, if not that, laziness to do the job right. It's certainly odd that Xara can produce a top with a properly embroidered badge and all Puma can offer is a printed patch sewn on to the top.

I was in Greaves Sports (home of Partick Thistle's Club Shop) in Sauchiehall Street recently and noticed PUMA have produced a proper stitched badge ala Xara, Bukta, Canterbury etc. on this kit. In fact it could have been the same with Morton as well (trying to remember tonight's kit) Could the decision be made by PSL instead of PUMA?

to be honest xara only had one kit with am embroidered badge and looking at it, it's brilliant so it amazes that a multi million pound manufacturer don't do that for all of their kits.

does anyone know the standard of the tottenham badge?

I was in Greaves Sports (home of Partick Thistle's Club Shop) in Sauchiehall Street recently and noticed PUMA have produced a proper stitched badge ala Xara, Bukta, Canterbury etc. on this kit. In fact it could have been the same with Morton as well (trying to remember tonight's kit) Could the decision be made by PSL instead of PUMA?

It might well be a “stitch up” although the recent Puma 125 Years retro top has been properly embroidered.

Not sure about their replica kit but you can bet that the match wear will have a proper embroidered badge.

Just look how much better this looks!

1zminiw.jpg

That would do the job for me :D Perhaps last season was a one off due to lack of funding or something convenient like that .

Aye, was very smart. Stitched on badge and it will be a purchase. The iron on badge the Club Shop have been using as of late and I'll probably not bother.

Just FYI ,

This is the same badge that is on this seasons and last seasons home kit, away kit and trainingwear. Its not ironed on, it is a woven applique patch which is stiched to the garment around the edges. I Puma use this style on most of their kits as they believe that it gives better defintion to the badge, particularly on the smaller elements of the design. When it is a design which is just text (like the 125 shirt) they use direct embroidery as the definition is just as good. There is little to no cost difference in either style.

All the first team kit has this method and there is no difference at all between what the first team wear and what you buy. The only reason the Hampden training top used a different method was that they had no applique patches in stock at the time of the cup final.

This is the same process that XARA used. Canterbury preferred the direct embroidery style. Its really just down to the preferred process of the manufacturer.

Hope this helps

Alan

Hi Willie,

If you check out Umbro kits it depends on the badge whether they use applique patch or direct emroidery. Rangers badge is fairly simple so they use direct embroidery. The England badge is more detailed so they use an applique patch the same as ours. Nike also use an applique patch for the celtic badge. Horses for courses really.

It is called "applique" as the badge is woven seperately and then "applied" to the jersey using an embroidery machine to stitch the edges.

When are you coming down for your top?

Cheers

Alan

Alan, thanks for the reply. I wasn't meaning the badge that is used on the replica home and away shirts last season (and this seasons going by the photos) more the badge that was used on the Cup Final training wear at the end of last season as well as the ones currently in stock. It is not like the badges used by Canterbury, Xara, Bukta etc. as you quite rightly said but it is also different to the club crests used on the PUMA home and away kits.

If that makes any sense :lol:

Hi Willie,

If you check out Umbro kits it depends on the badge whether they use applique patch or direct emroidery. Rangers badge is fairly simple so they use direct embroidery. The England badge is more detailed so they use an applique patch the same as ours. Nike also use an applique patch for the celtic badge. Horses for courses really.

It is called "applique" as the badge is woven seperately and then "applied" to the jersey using an embroidery machine to stitch the edges.

When are you coming down for your top?

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for the detailed info Alan. This board gets more Gok Wan every minute! (I still prefer the direct embroidery on to the shirt! thumbup.gif)

Will you be around for Craigan’s testimonial game? I can collect the shirt before the match, if that’s okay by you?

Cheers

Willie

Alan, thanks for the reply. I wasn't meaning the badge that is used on the replica home and away shirts last season (and this seasons going by the photos) more the badge that was used on the Cup Final training wear at the end of last season as well as the ones currently in stock. It is not like the badges used by Canterbury, Xara, Bukta etc. as you quite rightly said but it is also different to the club crests used on the PUMA home and away kits.

If that makes any sense :lol:

The Cup Final trainingwear for the players and fans was taken from "off the shelf" puma stock and was badged here in the UK. Anything done specifically for Motherwell uses the applique patch which is applied at the time of manufacture. I hope this is making sense as it sounds more confusing the more I type !!!

Thanks for the detailed info Alan. This board gets more Gok Wan every minute! (I still prefer the direct embroidery on to the shirt! thumbup.gif)

Will you be around for Craigan's testimonial game? I can collect the shirt before the match, if that's okay by you?

Cheers

Willie

I will be here up to kick off and for around 30 mins after the match.

Cheers

Alan

The Cup Final trainingwear for the players and fans was taken from "off the shelf" puma stock and was badged here in the UK. Anything done specifically for Motherwell uses the applique patch which is applied at the time of manufacture. I hope this is making sense as it sounds more confusing the more I type !!!

Cheers Alan.

I get what folk are saying about the iron on Scottish Cup Final logo on stuff not being as good as the embroidered equivalent and agree. However, the applique badges on last season's Puma shirts were the best badges we've had in my opinion. Far better detail and much neater looking than past embroidered badges. I wear my shirts for playing footy regularly and the badges look as good today as they did when I bought them a year ago. :thumbup:

I've washed my old Xara 2006/07 home top many times and the badge is still perfect. A properly stitched badge will always suggest quality, a patch merely suggests convenience.

I have to say my Xara tops have all washed well over the years and are still quality.

Isn't that right Eddie? :D