St Mirren (A) 13th August

DEWELL

Would bring back Hutchy, keep Hateley at right back and bring Forbes into the midfield.

Points gathered suggests St. Mirren are an improved team on last season but they have only scored 2 goals in 3 games and I think maybe people are getting a bit carried away with the 'free flowing attacking football' chat. In fact there has only been 3 goals scored in St. Mirren's 3 matches so far (0-0, 1-0, 1-1) so I think it will be a tight match but we should go there with no fears, a win is great but happy enough with a point.

Hasselbaink will be a big miss for them.

Hello all the Motherwell support.

Just to prevent a few of you turning up at the wrong place on Saturday, we don't play at Love St anymore, nothing worse than you guys waiting for the teams to come out and all you get is a couple of security guards asking you what the hell you are doing standing on private property. :rolleyes:

I think it'll be a pretty good game, you guys are playing pretty decent stuff, as are we. Another post says, quite rightly, we aren't scoring a lot of goals but we are creating plenty of chances. Someone will suffer if we keep this up.

Good to see we both teams have young managers who are having some sucess.

As for the result, I'll wait and see how our injury situation goes.

One thing I can say, the support who travel will see a decent game.:nod:

Just to prevent a few of you turning up at the wrong place on Saturday, we don't play at Love St anymore, nothing worse than you guys waiting for the teams to come out and all you get is a couple of security guards asking you what the hell you are doing standing on private property. :rolleyes:

That exact same thought had just crossed my mind.

i think hateley will move into midfield with hutchy back in the team saunders will move to right back.we rarely play well in paisley hopefully saturday will be different i can see us taking a pretty big support whos all heading through

i think, like Killie, St Midden are much improved on last year - it aint going to be a walk in the park - (Im not MJC is disguise!!)

not sure who is going to get the nod in midfield to replace lasley............all depends on how McCall sets us up. We going to stick with 442?? or change to 451? so interesting times. IMO, Forbes is talented, but he is ineffective/a liabilty/not very good when he plays as part of a 2 man centre midfield. towards the end of last season, and also into this season, has seen Carswell get the nod over Forbes

i'll go for a very narrow win, stay top of the league!! but it aint going to be easy

I will also predict that due to the stand behind the goal not being that big................the noisy section of our support will endure endless shouts of "gonna sit down", however keep up the good work lads. with this stand being small, you have the oppurtunity to make some real good noise

Despite us playing well (and sitting top of the league!) I'm quite nervous about this one as St Mirren are playing well themselves and look an entirely different proposition to the last few years.

Lasley is a massive loss for us in the middle and it remains to be seen who will partner Jennings in the middle. Personally I'd go with Forbes in there as I've never liked Hateley in the middle.

Swithering whether to go as this new soulless stadium has an atrocious view and the stewards are arseholes.

Not that it would be my desire to try the following, but a lot of people are simply stating whether it should be Forbes or Hateley for the midfield. The other solution, possibly to fire into the mix would be simply shift Law into the centre, which is apparently his natural position. He has more experience than Carswell, and is a helluva lot more mobile than Forbes. This would then allow Hateley to remain at RB alongside what we'd assume Hutchinson, Craigan and Hammell. Therefore, we'd then have to deal with the LM that would be vacated by Law's move to the centre. Solution? Murphy back to the left where he featured for the majority of last season - and that would then allow McHugh to come in, and despite his below-par performance against Killie - the fact he'd be accompanied by Higdon's presence then he may actually get more joy. And with Law being in the centre, he can cover the ground so quickly and his passing range and creativity will be even more integral coming from the centre. Will be able to provide quick and accurate ammunition to both Murphy and Humphrey, or simply to release McHugh.

Means that it's easily tinkerable in the 2nd half if it is failing with McHugh being replaced by Forbes, shifting Murphy back up front and Law back to the left. Gives us plenty of options and keeps our back 4 in place.

So, we could look at a team perhaps of:

------------------ Randy ------------------------

Tom ------ Hutch --- Craigan --- Hammell

Hump----- Law ---- Jennings --- Murphy

----------- Higdon ---- McHugh -------------

Just another option to throw out there..

• Like 5

I'd go with Forbes in place of Lasley. Nicky Law has brought some good performances out of Stevie Hammell of late and who'se to say that he can't do the same with Forbes. If Hutchy is fit, I'd bring him into the team instead of Saunders and if things aren't working with Forbes, then we could shift Hately in with Saunders covering Hately at rightback as plan B.

I think St Mirrens tactics will decide who gets the points. If they stick with their bullyboy tactics which they've used since they came up to the SPL then we're in for a very difficult afternoon. If they have improved and try to play a bit of football, I'm confident that we'll outplay them and get the victory.

Not that it would be my desire to try the following, but a lot of people are simply stating whether it should be Forbes or Hateley for the midfield. The other solution, possibly to fire into the mix would be simply shift Law into the centre, which is apparently his natural position. He has more experience than Carswell, and is a helluva lot more mobile than Forbes. This would then allow Hateley to remain at RB alongside what we'd assume Hutchinson, Craigan and Hammell. Therefore, we'd then have to deal with the LM that would be vacated by Law's move to the centre. Solution? Murphy back to the left where he featured for the majority of last season - and that would then allow McHugh to come in, and despite his below-par performance against Killie - the fact he'd be accompanied by Higdon's presence then he may actually get more joy. And with Law being in the centre, he can cover the ground so quickly and his passing range and creativity will be even more integral coming from the centre. Will be able to provide quick and accurate ammunition to both Murphy and Humphrey, or simply to release McHugh.

Means that it's easily tinkerable in the 2nd half if it is failing with McHugh being replaced by Forbes, shifting Murphy back up front and Law back to the left. Gives us plenty of options and keeps our back 4 in place.

So, we could look at a team perhaps of:

I tend to agree with you DC'd. I think McCall might well go with Law taking Lasley's place.

Would also note that it looks like St Midden may also be without their player of the year from last year, Darren McGregor. Loosing Hasselbaink is a big blow for them, has so far looked very livley and has given pace to their attacks.

I would put Carswell or Forbes in centre mid and give them a half each.

2-1 Motherwell.

I wouldn't be unhappy with that. I too think McHugh would get a bit of joy out of partnering Higdon.

Agree with this big time, McHugh looks like he could be really useful at dragging players around the pitch marking him, making space for other players like Jeffers did.

Does Law have the legs to make up for Lasley? I've only been to the leeds game this year, so genuine question innit.

Been a while since I've actually looked forward to playing St Mirren away. Got a feeling we'll take a really good crowd to this one, and with St Mirren being able to string more than 2 passes together this season I expect they'll have a decent home support too. Could be a difficult game but reckon we'll sneak it.

Nothing like the start to the season and being top of the league, I am giddy for Saturday!! Only Monday, meh, glad I'm still on holiday, Sat can't come quick enough!!

As for next week a win would be a LOT to ask for and would put us on double figures after 4 games - nothing short of superb. I would take a point and can see it possible being 0-0, with our defence being top notch so far at the Buddies missing their main man. But then again, wee Murph can nick us a goal and we MIGHT win this one 1-0, here's hoping!!

Oh, and aye, Carswell for Las, leave Hately at RB, he is dung in the middle of the park.

Hopefully Hutch back too, not being overly harsh on Saunders but Hutch is the better defender.

Didn't even think about that mate, but I like the look of that - I'd be happy if that was the shout. We might have a very threadbare squad, but at least we are still able to entertain two or three options after a suspension.

As for Saturday itself, looking forward to another train day. Decent enough wee jaunt - either having a few jars in town and the train straight to the ground, or getting off at Gilmour Street and visiting the Paisley boozers. Went in the car last time though and parked next to a couch, such is the wonderful area the new ground is located. But aye, hopefully a good game and I'm going with a 2-0 away victory to the pace setters.