2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

Baffles me that Murphy would sign for a League 1 club just now rather than keep his options open. Particularly when he knocked back Blackpool last season.

They are definitely going to be in the running for promotion and can pay substantially higher wages than Blackpool can, the very fact that they are massive club, with plenty of cash behind the scenes will also sway any SPL player.

Saying this as someone who has watched a lot of League One football live, I really don't think it will suit Murphy.

Total kick and rush football, all about strength, just get the ball towards the goal as quickly as humanly possible.

Hope he does well though, great player for Motherwell.

Just to add my wee bit to the whole Murphy leaving and where he is going!

His agent, who was being unusually coy about the whole move, did state that he was going to Sheffield with one of his players on the 31st December!!

Suppose we can put two and two together!

Cheers

Happy new year to all!

They are definitely going to be in the running for promotion and can pay substantially higher wages than Blackpool can, the very fact that they are massive club, with plenty of cash behind the scenes will also sway any SPL player.

That's the strange thing though - reading between the lines and from posts by 'blades' fans - in their words "they don't have a pot to piss in'.

Reading some of the blades fans stuff is interesting....

- they don't have any cash- they don't understand why Murphy would chose them- they don't rate Porter saying he was available for free last summer, also saw one linking him with Ross County- a few would like to see McCall in as their next boss

Absolute buttons for a proven goalscorer that has been with the club for over 10 years. Hope it works out for Murphy but believe he should have been aiming a bit higher than Sheffield United.

If Ojamma isn't on a half decent money as has been suggested, I'd hope that Dempster would offer him a new contract using some of the money freed up by Murphy's departure.

With only 6 months on his contract, we were never going to get more than £100k. However, the add-ons could be key. Hopefully, they include a hefty sell-on clause. Then, in a couple of years time, depending on whether he's a success or not, I reckon we'll either earn a decent wee sum from his next transfer or see Jamie return to Fir Park for free.

£100k, ridiculous amount to accept if true. Should have let his contract run down until the end of the season as his goals could be the difference between 10th and 2nd which is a significant amount in prize money. Obviously Jamie is chasing his bumper contract which is fair enough, however, i thought he would have been able to hold out to get an upper Championship team rather than a League 1 team.

Would be disappointed with £100k. The only thing is its guaranteed money which the club will look at. We clear;y cannot gamble on Murphy maybe helping us finish in 2nd or 3rd. This smacks of severe need of cash from the club and wanting to make something from the investment, add-ons will prob include promotion add on, sell on clause etc

Wish Jamie all the best, consumate pro and right good lad to boot. Deserves all he gets from the game and I am just really glad he isnt signing for Rangers(yet).

£100k, ridiculous amount to accept if true. Should have let his contract run down until the end of the season as his goals could be the difference between 10th and 2nd which is a significant amount in prize money. Obviously Jamie is chasing his bumper contract which is fair enough, however, i thought he would have been able to hold out to get an upper Championship team rather than a League 1 team.

We're not in a position to gamble with the cash flow or liquidity of the club.

McCall summed it up perfectly in his interview on MFC TV. We needed to sell a player and Murphy was the best candidate as his contract is up at the end of season.

He also said that he wants Ojamaa to stay as the offers for him have been too low and he would expect much more for him after another few months of good performances.

Murphy wasn't the best candidate as we would be entitked to compensation. Best candidates were Law and Randolph. I appreciate that there isn't much we can do if offers don't come in but if the suggestion that Law is signing a pre-contract is Sheff United is true then we have been well and truly stitched up.

Agreeing a deal on Dec 31st for a guy that has scored a hatful of goals in recent weeks, underlines how desperate we are. Poor management from the current regime yet again.

Shame that, always thought Page was a tidy, capable player. Probably for the best though with Saunders, Devlin and Angol covering full-back areas, and (at the moment at least), Saunders, Hutchinson, Cummins, Ramsden and Kerr at Centre-Half.

You say it's only 100k but how much money has Murphy won us in prize money over the years with his on field exploits?

Third place finish

Scottish Cup run to the final

European runs

Three consecutive top six finishes

How much does all that add up to in prize money etc.?

None of which could have been achieved without Murphy had we sold him for 500k or so a few years ago.

Look at what Aberdeen are going to get for Ryan Fraser, 6 months out him and 200k lump sum. We've had four plus good years out of Murphy and he's helped the club achieve a lot in that time and earn a fair bit of money in the process.

We need the money, simple as and although he's probably worth a fair bit more you can't say we haven't got our money's worth out of him over the last few years. For those saying 'fail' by the board what would you have them do? They tried to sell him last year for a bit more money but the lad didn't want to go. Apart from that we've never to my knowledge had another bid for him except from Hamilton fucking Accies a few years ago!

Good luck to the lad wherever he ends up, at a time where Scottish youngsters are jumping ship at the first sign of a bit of cash this boy has done right by the club and has been nothing but a model professional and hopefully with some good performances down South he can earn Motherwell more money in the future.

• Like 1

Murphy wasn't the best candidate as we would be entitked to compensation. Best candidates were Law and Randolph. I appreciate that there isn't much we can do if offers don't come in but if the suggestion that Law is signing a pre-contract is Sheff United is true then we have been well and truly stitched up.

Agreeing a deal on Dec 31st for a guy that has scored a hatful of goals in recent weeks, underlines how desperate we are. Poor management from the current regime yet again.

I'd love to see the alternative proposals from the dissenters on here, including where we can expect these huge offers to come from.

EDIT: I'd also imagine that if a club in England waited until after Murphy's birthday in August, there would be no development fee required. If there is a way around it, I'm sure the lawyers and agents will be on it.

I'd love to see the alternative proposals from the dissenters on here, including where we can expect these huge offers to come from.

Easy. You go the manager of the other team and buy him for 5mill.

Seriously though, I think the players wages and the time remaining on the contract are major factors in the transfer fee. We shouldn't be gambling on one player over the course of 6 months to get us the prize money to cancel out the small fee, we need the guaranteed money.

I hope it works out for Jamie, he has done great for us and deserves the move.

We will miss Murphy and recently he has be outstanding, I wish him all the best but I thought he would have progressed better by now, he showed great early promise but I thought he would have had a few caps by now but his inconsistency has been his downfall and hadnt desereved any call ups ,I hope he does great but think he will follow in the footsteps of Lasley and Hammell.

A great player for us and sad to see him go.

He prob would have left in summer but the player himself wanted to stay and play in the Champ League, if the club had sold him in summer they would have got dogs abuse so this is maybe the best way to get some money

Obviously there may be underlying reasons why we can't turn down a six figure fee coming into our account, but I think we are selling ourselves very short. We would have been due compensation for Murphy in the summer, surely that fee, coupled with his services for another half season would have been far more acceptable. As far as I remember we got over £100k for McCormack and that was only a part development fee - surely Murphy's compensation would be the similar or more, given he's been part of the first team squad for seven seasons.

Wish him all the best for his move, we'll really miss him. Can't be many SPL sides who can boast a player who has hit double figures four years in a row, with the majority of his appearances being from left midfield.

As for Page, he goes with best wishes too, never really let us down, but he just seemed to fall a bit short on quality. Strange how Craig Brown rated him higher than Shaun Hutchinson, yet their careers have taken contrasting paths since Brown departed.

we chose to boot rangers out the spl at a cost of £350,000. selling one of our most important players on the cheap is the price of sporting integrity.

£100k is sickening when you consider the fees paid for the likes of maguire, jonsson from hearts and the two young lads from falkirk all of whom jamie is streets ahead of.