Athens

Burn_Broomfield

If i look like Tim Clancy, then We Are All Tim Clancy. Poor look-a-like effort. The people who actually thought i was Tim Clancy should be ashamed..

Here was me thinking I had spotted a fine lookalike too!

Reiterate what's been said. Great trip, not so great place.

Did anyone speak to the yank boy in the pub at syntagma square? He was spouting a lot of pish about how he had just lost 100million in some business deal. He then said he was going to sue some mob for a billion dollars. He said he could get us jobs, he just needed our bank details. Someone eventually told him to fuck off but he was a strange yin.

His abilities as a player are not in question. It just makes his antics in both games all the more gauling as there was no need for him to do either. He also escaped a yellow card for leaving the field of play and making inflammatory guestures to opposition fans. Im not precious about these things as we as football fans dish plenty out, however there is no denying he is a 'bawbag'.

Agree with that.

just back........could have done without a feckin 3.5hr delay on the M6 :dash2: 9hrs to drive from West London

Had a great time....but as prevoiusly mentioned,Found the Exarcheia area of Athens I was staying in, a awash with Junkies/drug abuse/ etc etc.....

Also the shambolic way we were treated by the police and Panathanikos !

View of the park from the away end? Looked some distance on the stream I had. F'n running tracks!!!

I didnt think it was too bad. Due to the height we were up it was pretty reasonable. I think if you were in the lower tier it would be rubbish though.

that was a magic trip apart from the world's worst hangover on the tuesday afternoon. i stuck to the beers after that.

i thought it was a nice city. it had good transport, a decent beach and plenty of cheap beer and good food. the area around omonia where we were staying was full of dodgy characters but never felt unsafe. sitting in the roof garden bar or on that wee lane in monostariki drinking a two euro beer with a cracking view of the acropolis beats anything we've got to offer away fans :nod:

roll on valencia

Did anyone speak to the yank boy in the pub at syntagma square? He was spouting a lot of pish about how he had just lost 100million in some business deal. He then said he was going to sue some mob for a billion dollars. He said he could get us jobs, he just needed our bank details. Someone eventually told him to fuck off but he was a strange yin.

Mike!

Giv me your details and I'll set up global company

Liked to snatch smokes as well

just back........could have done without a feckin 3.5hr delay on the M6 :dash2: 9hrs to drive from West London

Had a great time....but as prevoiusly mentioned, Athens is a Junkie ridden shitehole.....and the shambolic way we were treated by the police and Panathanikos !

Compared with my only other trip to Athens in 1988 with England the old bill were very good IMHO, wait until you get to meet the Spanish police, far far worse.

9.5hrs not bad for 400miles, the quickest I've done it is 7hrs.

Compared with my only other trip to Athens in 1988 with England the old bill were very good IMHO, wait until you get to meet the Spanish police, far far worse.

9.5hrs not bad for 400miles, the quickest I've done it is 7hrs.

Normally 5-6hrs at most mate...........did you have the meter running ???? :whistling:

Not long back fae our wee jaunt, smashing holiday, nice quiet place, thought Athens was okay apart from the overwhelming heat and can't do much about that.

Poor communication re the buses, we went to Pana's old stadium at 6.30 as instructed and no buses, got the metro and no problems as I suspected. Afterwards left to our own devices once utside the gates, could have been doing with some info there. Got told Metro closed at midnight, I read here that wasn't the case. Out at the resort folk couldn't be more helpful, in the big city getting accurate info was like pulling teeth. I said to a Pana guy "Do you speak English?" and he growled "No, I am Greek" in perfect English :rolleyes:

Interesting comments from the Athens experience.

I found some to be a bit harsh however, especially the junkie ridden remarks.

Most Athens citizens do not frequent the downtown areas in the wee morning hours, so I have not witnessed any of what is described.

While I will not argue their existence, and do understand it has recently become a social issue, due to the proximity to Turkey and the heroin trade from Afghanistan, I have personally never seen a junkie in Athens.

I have however seen many in London, Glasgow, Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin, Stockholm etc.

In New York City in the nineties, Times square was full of crack pipes and prosties at midday.

I would not call NYC a crack whore shit-hole :whistling:

Judging a city you visited the worst areas for three days, as a junkie ridden shit-hole?

Did anyone visit the Archaeological Museum, The beaches of Glyfada, Vouliagmeni, Sounio, the list is long.

How about the neighborhoods I suggested , Kifissia, Exarhia etc ?

August is the hottest month of the year and the vacation month for most Athenians.

Do not take the police treatment at heart, why do you think there are so many riots?

Most young people are not cop lovers...

I appreciate the positive comments and hope you all left with a desire to return.

Next time hit the islands!

Best of luck vs Levante

Panathinaikos is playing vs a Spanish side as well, we drew Malaga.

Tough match.

Since you seem like you would know your beer...

Which Scottish beers would you recommend?

I prefer ales, bitters and stouts.:cheers:

PEACE

Interesting comments from the Athens experience.

I would not call NYC a crack whore shit-hole :whistling:

Judging a city you visited the worst areas for three days, as a junkie ridden shit-hole?

Did anyone visit the Archaeological Museum,

PEACE

Hi Gate 13

I stayed 3 nights at the Best Western Museum Hotel.which is next to the National Archaeological Museum and Athens Polytecnic.

There is street than runs between both these building leading to Patission Street, I suggest you pop down there and have a walk around about 2 oclock in the morning,I can assure you will see many junkies/drug abusers openly injecting etc etc which apparently the police turn a blind eye to between 0000-0400hrs daily ,(This information came from the hotel staff)

One of the photographs I have posted on this thread is taken during the day on this street.

I have edited my original post as I agree with you there are many nice areas/people/bars/hotels etc etc in Athens and it is not all a junkie ridden shite-hole!!:blush:

I had a great time in Athens....apart from the result :laugh:

Try Deuchers IPA or Belhaven Twisted Thistle....both very nice pale ales :cheers:

Yammas !!!!!

Interesting comments from the Athens experience.........................

Really appreciate the guidance you and Wembley-13 posted in advance of our trip to Athens :drinks:

Have to say my experience of Athens was a mixed one. I was bitterly disappointed not have visited the ancient sites, sites I had craved to visit from a very young age. Sadly it was just too hot to venture any great distance from the roof pool, and we only had the 1 overnight ...... in the (rip-off 8 euros a drink), President Hotel.

On a more positive note, save the odd strange look or 20 - as we were wearing kilts - I found the locals to be very friendly. On Tues night we ventured up the Panarmou, (Pana heartlands I believe), to drink and eat and were very well received. Food was good, drink wasn't expensive and the locals were keen to practice their English with us.

As for the junkies, never saw any, but hey Athens has well over 3M inhabitants so it's bound to have a seedy underbelly .............. what large city doesn't ?

Overall:- Pana fans were great, some of their players are cheatin baisterts, and fuck knows what the Cops were all about ........... trying to get us to the Stadium 3 hours before kick-off, telling us not to use the Metro and greeting us with stun guns/riot shields/water cannon at the stadium :doh: before coralling us against a fence prior to letting us in then 2 ticket frisk checks !!!!

You'd have thought they were expecting Galatasaray FFS.