Page On Loan To Accies

Well Well

On a slight side note to Page, but the comment on his ability to mark and not tackle caught my eye I recently read Soccernomics by Simon Kuper and some other dude. A lot about stats and stuff, but anyway ability to tackle is seemingly not that important in a defender(I suspect it not entirely without value, have to do it sometimes) but one of the nuggets of information in the book was that Paolo Maldini wass at one point in his career and I don't mind if it was for club/country or both making on average a single tackle in a game. It was his positioning and reading of the game that was far and away more important.

As it is I happy to see Page get some games, he has at times playing for us surprised me and done alright, other days he looks a bombscare. If we are going to need him anytime soon I more than happy to see him get games elsewhere for a spell. I expect he'll leave at end of his contract also not really making an impact here.

Everything I saw of Page early on I liked, but the more games he's had the more convinced I am he won't cut it at Motherwell level. He look strong in the tackle and good in the air, but he can be very rash (very rare I can recall him starting and not getting a booking), can be caught out for pace and doesn't seem too comfortable with the ball at his feet. He seems a top pro though and I wish him all the very best at Accies.

As for Bob McHugh, he obviously hasn't had a long enough run in the first team to be truly judged, but from what I have seen of him, he seems to be competent at many things, i.e. decent enough finisher, strong enough, relatively fast, but doesn't seem to have an attribute you would instantly identify him by, which most forwards who make the grade do. As I say though, it's far too early days to be writing him off.

On a slight side note to Page, but the comment on his ability to mark and not tackle caught my eye I recently read Soccernomics by Simon Kuper and some other dude. A lot about stats and stuff, but anyway ability to tackle is seemingly not that important in a defender(I suspect it not entirely without value, have to do it sometimes) but one of the nuggets of information in the book was that Paolo Maldini wass at one point in his career and I don't mind if it was for club/country or both making on average a single tackle in a game. It was his positioning and reading of the game that was far and away more important.

And that is why Cannavaro was such a great defender despite only being 5'9''.

Give me a defender who can read a game, and has positional sense than one that is known as a tough tackler any-day of the week.

Sadly defending(defenders) is another part of the game we are so far behind our European counterparts it's scary (just look at the slavering over a big 6'+ centre back that was needed according to McGhee and on here).

And that is why Cannavaro was such a great defender despite only being 5'9''.

Give me a defender who can read a game, and has positional sense than one that is known as a tough tackler any-day of the week.

Sadly defending(defenders) is another part of the game we are so far behind our European counterparts it's scary (just look at the slavering over a big 6'+ centre back that was needed according to McGhee and on here).

Maldini is 6'1", and while I don't necessarily disagree, if you play against teams that like to pump high balls into your penalty box, it makes sense to have at least one defender who can win them in the air. Being tall doesn't mean you lack ball skills - Alan Hansen is 6'2" for example.

Maldini is 6'1", and while I don't necessarily disagree, if you play against teams that like to pump high balls into your penalty box, it makes sense to have at least one defender who can win them in the air. Being tall doesn't mean you lack ball skills - Alan Hansen is 6'2" for example.

Very true, but that leads back to other problems still within the Scottish (and especially our attacking) game. The problem in a Motherwell point of view is our defenders have questionable positional sense, so miss many of those necessary headers - hence the goals we have lost this season.

In fact I don't think our current defenders have problematic ball skills for this level, and would rate them very highly on the SPL scale (granted which isn't a great scale)