St.mirren V Motherwell 14/9/13

Yabba's Turd

just back in from the game.

897 well fans were there according to announcer

about 3.1k st midden

police went crazy on the young team, but if u throw

smoke bombs sadly u are gonna attract their attention,

the bois got kept back at the end

overall good 3 points but last 5 mins was scarey again.

dont think me nerves can take it..

the penalty was such a lol

foul was 2 yards outside the box

thankfully the linesman was strong and told the ref.

Mon the Well!!!!

Verv

Edited by verv

Like driving at 90mph on a motorway, whether you agree with the rule or not, the minute you let a smoke bomb off you are inviting yourself to get into trouble. Thing that seemed strange was they seemed relaxed about the first couple but then seemed to get a bit more stroppy about it until they then kettled the far section in at the end of the game. Sure someone who was in that area will fill in the blanks later.

On the game I thought we did all right defensively, thought it was a bit strange they focused all their attacking intentions down their right flank at Francis-Angol rather than Hammell was on his weaker side. Ridiculous bookings for Hutchinson for a perfect tackle and Goodwin for his hand being at the bottom of his arm and then the non-penalty. I'm sorry but if I can see from the back of the stand it is two yards outside the box there is no excuse for our supposed best referee not seeing it. Lennon said in his interview that he thought his team's heads went down from that point for a few minutes and I think he was right.

We then scored after they failed to mark Sutton after some decent play.

Thought our play when we had the ball was excellent at times today and the move with Anier and Vigurs was excellent and a couple of other high quality passages of play too. Think our positioning could still be better when we don't have the ball.

Second half we had a couple of chances to seal it and our failure to do so left us hanging on for grim life in injury time. Bad enough wanting the Motherwell three points but I had as on a treble with Arsenal and Hibs so knew there was money resting on us hanging on. How to make three minutes felt like half an hour.

Good win - three clean sheets already, it took us months and months to do that last season - Inverness in February I think!

• Like 1

How dare they young lads try and bring some atmosphere to a top flight scottish football stadium !!

I fully support their efforts to do that, and I wasn't there so obviously don't know exactly what went down. But surely by now they know better than to do it without taking prohibited items into the stadium, if they did indeed take smoke bombs in.

How dare they young lads try and bring some atmosphere to a top flight scottish football stadium !! Who do they think they are ?!! Strathclyde's finest at their best the C*NTS

I have personally got no problem with smoke bombs (although the football authorities obviously do), they can add colour and atmosphere to a game, however throwing them on to the playing surface is not on. To be chucked out or arrested for singing and dancing is just crazy (you would like to think that there was more to it than that).

I have personally got no problem with smoke bombs (although the football authorities obviously do), they can add colour and atmosphere to a game, however throwing them on to the playing surface is not on. To be chucked out or arrested for singing and dancing is just crazy (you would like to think that there was more to it than that).

Agree with all of that and the person responsible for throwing the smoke bomb onto the park has in all probability just cost the club a £5k fine.

• Like 1

Agree with all of that and the person responsible for throwing the smoke bomb onto the park has in all probability just cost the club a £5k fine.

That is where the problem starts to get serious, as we can little afford to pay fines of that magnitude.

This is what Head of Safety at Motherwell FC, Alan Marshall said in 2011 as regards smoke bombs...

"We are very keen to provide an enjoyable atmosphere at games but the threat posed from smoke bombs and flares is significant.

"We have already had numerous instances this season, both at Fir Park and at away grounds, and we would plead with our supporters not to bring them to games."

Did smoke bombs actually get thrown on park? I seen one getting put in a red bucket and placed next to pitch by steward at start of game. Only seem rolls of that ticker tape stuff get thrown. Looked like the reaction was way over the top.

Anyway, great three points. Some great play at points glad to see we are coming onto a game. Nervy finish. Anier should have perhaps done better when through on goal.

Fine win nevertheless

Did smoke bombs actually get thrown on park?

I wasn’t at the game, so I couldn’t say. However Richie, who I think was there said this...

A few smoke bombs.

Some got thrown around corner flag before the game.

At a corner Craig Thomson threw the then burnt out smoke bombs to side of pitch.

I am also sure that Chick Young made some mention of it during his open all mikes spot on the BBC.

Back to matters on the pitch i'm very interested tae hear from the lads who were at the game today. I know its just after the game and the saints fans are very emotional right now but the vast majority of them are saying Motherwell were sh*te but they were worse, i obviously trust well fans opinion more than theres so i look forward to hearing bout the game. Got a funny feeling the saints fans are just being sore losers

Back to matters on the pitch i'm very interested tae hear from the lads who were at the game today. I know its just after the game and the saints fans are very emotional right now but the vast majority of them are saying Motherwell were sh*te but they were worse, i obviously trust well fans opinion more than theres so i look forward to hearing bout the game. Got a funny feeling the saints fans are just being sore losers

Saints have never forgiven us for that famous Cup game where they felt we kicked them of the park (which was ironic given their style of play at the time).

We could play like Barcelona and they wouldn't give us any credit for it.

We were competent (as in we made very few mistakes) and had a bit of cutting edge but not anything special. They had no cutting edge and made mistakes. Think shite is harsh but we weren't anything special and we were deserved winners.

no one chucked a smoke bomb on the park.

Thompson took the things had held together the till rolls off the park.

There was a smoke bomb on the park im afraid and that looks ominously like a fine.The fat steward put it out with sand

Good away win and good to see Sutton score as I think he gets in the neck undeservedly from some of our support.

As for the incidents among our support, I wasn't there and the police may well have over reacted but letting off smoke bombs is just a no no.

The Well boys have done a great job supporting the team and creating a good atmosphere but they are only going to cause themselves and the club problems if this kind of thing goes on.

Is it really worth it?

I don't even know what to say about that today to be honest. 15 year old lad getting penned into a toilet and strip searched is not on. At least 40 in Uniform plus undercover for a group of lads supporting your team, not on. Undercover police who just happened to be "passing by" is too far. Being kettled in bu said 40 and getting told to leave in 2's for the police to either take your name/arrest/search you is not on.

A completely ridiculous situation for us to be in today. I hope most Motherwell fans actually see our side of things on this issue and most continue to back us. Already seen some idiot tweeting "ban the drum and the well bois until they learn to behave". The police actually aggravated the whole situtation with an un-needed heavy handed approach.

Anyway on the game, as i said, it was scrappy. Craig Thompson was his usual bombscare self, the penalty decision was actually ridiculous, also there was a decision that went the wrong way with the thrown in that i can recall, but from his position it would be hard to see.

Highlight of the game, bar the goal? Zaine's bit of trickery down at the corner flag in the second half was top notch. Lasley MOTM aswell!

A good day's work.

There was a feeling akin to last chance saloon for Lennon before the game and I was a little concerned as situations like that can sometimes change the complexion of a game. Happily that never really happened and we did what we had to do without having to face any all guns blazing stuff from Saints, apart from arguably the last couple of minutes.

Defensively we looked good for the most part, had spells where we put together some good moves and always looked to have that little bit more threat up front than St Mirren and all the while with a little re-working of the personnel and formation.

Like the previous couple of games we could have had it in the bag with something to spare and save us the anxious final minutes but we got there once again.

Couldn't really make out what actually happened with the goal mind you once the ball had gone in the box. Looked like Sutton was going to score, then everything seemed to stop and the suddenly he was up celebrating.

Off the park, plenty of issues raised. Some criticism already in the thread about supporters not adhering to rules - as I saw it the supporters were supporting the team in a fashion little different to that they've done for the past couple of seasons.

But if we are to look at the roles of supporters then we must also consider the roles of those employed in positions of authority. Not for the first time St Mirren's stewards must assume a large amount of culpability for their part in an incident developing when we've visited their ground - then absolutely shitting themselves, panicking and demonstrating their complete inability to properly handle the situation they have been largely responsible in creating.

Viewed the police and stewards antics from the adjacent section and their attitude and behaviour epitimises everyone that is wrong with the the way the police force in our country is run and managed. That said, if you let off smoke bombs there is a good chance you will get into bother as it is not allowed.

30 or so jumped up jobsworths who failed to make the grade in any real avenue of employment decided today to take their own life failings out a group of boys guilty as charged of having fun. It's funny in life how the police turn up when you don't need them but fail to turn up when they should be there. Also interesting to see them singling out the smaller and younger members of the group for their heavy handed tactics - says it all really!!!! I just hope they turn up in force to act accordingly when the old firm turn up in paisley with their sectarian bile. But of course they won't because they would fill their pants with a bigger group and either turn a blind eye or sh*t themselves.

On the game itself another great 3 points - I thought ZFA, Hammell and Carswell played really well and McHugh looked sharp when he came on. The ref was awful and Hutchys yellow card was the most riduculous I have seen in 26 years of going to see the well.

I still think the team lacks width and pace tho. Just hope Ainsworth can bring that.

no one chucked a smoke bomb on the park.

Thompson took the things had held together the till rolls off the park.

Tried to post earlier but battery ran out.

I got in just before ko, so may well have been till roll spindles which Thomson removed, although there was def smoke bomb beyond the ad boards, albeit not on pitch.

That said, the stewarding/policing was stil waaay over the top.

Expect them do deploy the same tactics with the Celtic fans... oh, wait.