Greatest Well Eleven You Have Seen

joewarkfanclub

I can remember hearing a story about big buff martin which i hope is true. I was told when he was playing against that big bastard Hateley Mark said "i've got a Ferrari and a Bentley in my front garden what have you got ?" Apparently Buff said "20 slabs and a ton of red chips ya cunt". Dunno if its true but if so thats legendary :)

I can remember hearing a story about big buff martin which i hope is true. I was told when he was playing against that big bastard Hateley Mark said "i've got a Ferrari and a Bentley in my front garden what have you got ?" Apparently Buff said "20 slabs and a ton of red chips ya cunt". Dunno if its true but if so thats legendary :)

Absolutely true. Went for a pint with him (in Behind the Wall) after a midweek Falkirk and he told that story. As a big Celtic fan, he took great delight in ripping the pish out Hateley.

Big Peter McCloy did very well for us but his one fault was he was not good with anything low to the ground near the corners.

Billy Ritchie had been a top line 'keeper with Rangers and was a bit past it when he came to us but managed to do a decent job when required - reliable safe pair of hands.

Big Jackie McInally (I'd an uncle that called him Jacqueline as he didn't seem to rate him) again was probably by his best when we got him - he'd won the league with Kilmarnock a few years previously but from what I can recall he formed a decent partnership foil for Dixie Deans.

All three gave their all for the old 'Well in an era when players were paid peanuts so my respect to them all.:nod:

Spot on Grew :nod:

Big Peter McCloy did very well for us but his one fault was he was not good with anything low to the ground near the corners.

Billy Ritchie had been a top line 'keeper with Rangers and was a bit past it when he came to us but managed to do a decent job when required - reliable safe pair of hands.

Big Jackie McInally (I'd an uncle that called him Jacqueline as he didn't seem to rate him) again was probably by his best when we got him - he'd won the league with Kilmarnock a few years previously but from what I can recall he formed a decent partnership foil for Dixie Deans.

All three gave their all for the old 'Well in an era when players were paid peanuts so my respect to them all.yes.gif

Fair assessment Grew, but in these terms all are a long way down the pecking order for inclusion in a Motherwell 'Greatest' XI.

Listening to Tam on Stuart on the radio the now. Alison Walker picking her best Hamilton 11. I know we have had greatest ever Motherwell teams but that always throws up arguments about great players from our past most of us never had the privelege to see. So, off the back of todays articles about The Grew and Faddy, what is the best Well 11 of players you have seen in the flesh. Take 1960 as the earliest date to make it fair!

Sieb Dijkstra

Luc Nijholt

Brian Martin

Chris McCart

Joe Wark

Phil ODonnell

Bobby Russell

Paul Lambert

Davy Cooper

Bobby Graham

Wullie Pettigrew

Subs

Randolph

Corrigan

ONeill

McFadden

Coyne

That's a great team and not far away from mine. The only exceptions being Keith MacRae in goal and Tam Forsyth at centre half. Hard to leave McFadden out but equally hard to find a position for him.

That's a great team and not far away from mine. The only exceptions being Keith MacRae in goal and Tam Forsyth at centre half. Hard to leave McFadden out but equally hard to find a position for him.

Both just before my time.

Stewart Rennie was the first keeper I remember. My dad knew Keith McRae. Always used to tell me he was a great keeper.

I remember big Tam playing for Rangers and he was a formidable guy. But I have no memory of him in claret and amber.

I did see the likes of McVie Watson McLaren Stevens etc but at that age I was only interested in how the ball went forward, hence my selections from that era. I recall really liking Vic Davidson and Marinello but tough to compare them to the likes of Cooper and Russell who just seemed to be telepathic.

I see you're still not over your crack addiction. Gutted for you mate. Keep trying. Be strong.

Had a feeling you would appear with this sort of comment. I admit I was struggling to think of centre halfs that really stood out in my time watching the team but as you know I'm all about total football so a ball playing centre half with a bit of pace seemed to fit the bill :nod:

Had a feeling you would appear with this sort of comment. I admit I was struggling to think of centre halfs that really stood out in my time watching the team but as you know I'm all about total football so a ball playing centre half with a bit of pace seemed to fit the bill :nod:

So one of the two best centre-halves you've seen play for Motherwell was a positionally unaware liability that could neither jump or tackle? Christ, we must've been pish for the last few years....

claiming that he can't jump us ridiculous. He jumped miles higher than anyone in our team when scored in august. He also won every header against the giant aalesunds striker.

Wouldnt be the first time it has been claimed that one of our players couldnt jump on here. Or run, for that matter......

Sorry. Couldnt resist.

• Like 1

claiming that he can't jump us ridiculous. He jumped miles higher than anyone in our team when scored in august. He also won every header against the giant aalesunds striker.

He was regularly beaten in the air by players smaller than him when he played for us, and he used to shepherd forwards instead of tackle them. For some reason he was the golden boy amongst our support, possibly because there was a catchy song made up about him.

And the big boy for Aalesund was absolutely pish.

He was regularly beaten in the air by players smaller than him when he played for us, and he used to shepherd forwards instead of tackle them. For some reason he was the golden boy amongst our support, possibly because there was a catchy song made up about him.

I would say that rather than him being the golden boy (as proved by the ridiculous booing whenever he returns to Fir Park) you seem to have adopted him as your player to hate from early on and nothing will ever change that. I can't remember every arial challenge he went into in his Motherwell career but I would bet that you can't either so I'm not sure if there is actually any evidence to support the fact that he "was regularly beaten in the air by players smaller than him". Going off on a slight tangent, it seems foolish to write a player off based on arial ability considering I've witnessed you challenge for a few headers in your time and don't think I've seen you win one. :whistling:

Also, shepherding a player can often be much more effective than diving in and making rash challenges... but maybe that's just my opinion.

We can at least agree on one point though... that striker for Aalesund was incredibly pish.

I would say that rather than him being the golden boy (as proved by the ridiculous booing whenever he returns to Fir Park) you seem to have adopted him as your player to hate from early on and nothing will ever change that. I can't remember every arial challenge he went into in his Motherwell career but I would bet that you can't either so I'm not sure if there is actually any evidence to support the fact that he "was regularly beaten in the air by players smaller than him". Going off on a slight tangent, it seems foolish to write a player off based on arial ability considering I've witnessed you challenge for a few headers in your time and don't think I've seen you win one. :whistling:

Also, shepherding a player can often be much more effective than diving in and making rash challenges... but maybe that's just my opinion.

We can at least agree on one point though... that striker for Aalesund was incredibly pish.

He could beat me in the air, I'll give you that!

I don't hate Reynolds at all- I just don't rate him and I think I go on about it because other 'Well fans were very vocal in their over-appreciation for him in my opinion.

Coincidentally, I just got round to watching Sportscene this morning- what on earth was he doing for that penalty Hibs should have got?!?!

There is a time and a place for every thing but shepherding in itself is no bad thing. If anything I'd rather a defender stayed on his feet that way he doesn't get taken out of the game. Shaun Hutchinson could learn about shepherding instead of making the tackle every time because he often misses and end up 15 yards behind the play.

Mark Reynolds was overall a very good player for us although towards the end you felt he was stagnating a little and needed a move away. In a way he was hoist on his own petard by coming into the team as a rookie and being absolutely magnificent. His first season was probably his best season and fans therefore didn't see enough development and perhaps even detected his performances going back slightly but that didn't mean he wasn't good.

Central defence is one of the hardest positions to play and depends on match experience more than other areas of the park. Right now Mark Reynolds is only 26 years old and has maybe another 7 or 8 years at the top level in front of him. With additional experience I'd expect him to get better and better.

He should be one of the first names down in the Scotland squad, especially since we are not over abundant in central defenders. I don't see him every week now but he has been excellent when we've played Aberdeen and Willie Miller, a genuinely world class defender in his day, absolutely raves about him every week on the radio. No doubt that won't dissuade his critics but I don't see any many other Scottish central defenders at Reynolds level.