Best Away Day

shanemfc7

Short and sweet, Hampden '91 say no more.

Strange as it may seem I still believe I enjoyed the semi final replay v Celtic more than the final. To beat those bar stewards on the way to a final and the way we did still ranks as my favourite away day.

Also enjoyed the semi v the Jam tarts - again for drama and outcome it was a belter

Just wish we could have a few more days like those ones

A few memorable ones for different reasons....

Cup Semi replay v Celtic - enjoyed it way more than the final due to nerves on cup final day and also because it was unexpected and against "them".

Rangers away - Farninghams game - was sick to back teeth of them scoring injury time winners against us so to do it to them in similar circumstances was "pleasing".....

Hearts away in cup after Phils death. Our support has never been so together and to come from behind to get a replay was just great.

Tynecastle for the Scottish Cup after O'Donnell died. Probably the biggest travelling support I've been involved in outwith semis/finals. Such an emotionally charged atmosphere that will never be forgotten.

We've been blessed with some outstanding performances since 2007 but a league cup trouncing of Hibs at Easter Road under McGhee really broke the mould. We destroyed them that night with a calibre of free flowing football that was new to us and went on to have a cracking few months.

Ross McCormack was outstanding in both games.

I am taking that by 'Away Days' European jollies are not allowed, so some of my best away days are as follows:

10. The recent Partick Thistle game deserves a mention - festive atmosphere, going to a stadium we hadn't been to for a good few years, a great train day and a good party all day, helped out by a big and vocal away support, the 'Well knocking in five goals and Faddy being back to his best.

9. McGhees first game - 1-0 at Love Street. After a year of absolute turgid misery under Malpas, it just seemed like it was the start of something special and, for me, it's the game that kick-started what I will come to regard as the glory days following Motherwell. Again another good away support and great atmosphere.

8. Inverurie - A real sense of achievement for me in terms of getting to this game after pissing about my new work ridiculously with 87 rearranged dates and crashing my car on the way from Newton Mearns to Motherwell to catch the bus. Fans throwing snowballs at each other and a real romantic Scottish Cup tie, coupled with a routine 'Well victory.

7. Stranraer - Again, the magic of the Scottish Cup, a ground I'd never visited and a big, vocal (and largely drunk!) 'Well support and a resounding victory. Cheering the team bus through Girvan on the way home was a highlight.

6. Kilmarnock away during the 'Well Worth Saving days of administration - a real trench mentality had developed with both the players and fans and an unforseen crowd travelled down to Ayrshire to watch a young 'Well side seemingly on its knees absolutely demolish Killies experienced pros. Great day.

5. Ross County on the opening day of last season - terrible game, but there was a buzz in the air as we were due to fly out to watch the 'Well in the Champions League on the Monday and we were visiting another ground for the first time. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I stepped off the train into a beer garden, and the highland welcome from the landlords and locals around the town was second to none.

4. Livingston CIS Cup Quarter Final - all day shot on the train from Cleland in the morning, muchos lager and doing 'a Klinnsman' on the grass outside the ground after watching us seal what we thought at the time was a trip to Hampden with a 5-goal demolition.

3. Easter Road after we had already sealed Europe under McGhee. Another great day out between dancing in CC Blooms and having to retrieve our beachball from the balcony of some art studio before the game, to a fine win in Edinburgh and an all-round party atmosphere.

2. Tynecastle in the first game after Phils death for the same reasons as everyone else has said. Magnificent travelling support and a real feeling of togetherness between the players and fans on such an emotional day, capped off with a superb battling comeback from the team.

1. Also against Hearts, but this time at Easter Road. A big part of it was the day out in Edinburgh and the night out in Glasgow afterwards, dancing in the Garage with a 1960s Bradford shirt on under a sheepskin jacket thinking I was the business but the pure drama of the game was second to none. I don't think the celebration of THAT goal from Fitzpatrick will ever be bettered.

I have probably missed some obvious ones out - it's still early in the day - but a thread like this is great for helping people to remember how lucky we've been recently.

• Like 1

Three more that spring to mind:

Aberdeen away in the cup in 1991. My first ever visit to Pittodrie, and a big away support that didn't stop singing for the entire 90 mins. The Dons were the holders and were a top side back then, and went on to almost win the league that season (before bottling it at Ibrox on the final day). No-one (including myself) gave us a hope. I can still remember the place going absolutely mental when Stevie Kirk scored, probably the best goal celebration I've ever experienced. On the long journey home I definitely had a feeling that this was going to be our year.

The midweek game at Ibrox in 1993 (I think), which was the only time I've seen us win there. We went a goal down in the first half, but hit back courtesy of a Dougie double. My most vivid memory of this game is of the fans who invaded the pitch and danced around Colin Scott's goal following the winner. Sadly I missed the Owen Coyle game where we stopped them winning 9-in-a-row, which must be right up there when it comes to great away days.

The Fergus McCann game at Parkhead in 1994. Celtic's crowds had been around the 15,000 mark, but they all came out the woodwork for the first game of the new regime. It was supposed to be a celebration, the culmination of a long campaign to sack the old board with McCann heralded as the saviour of Celtic. Instead, Dougie quickly shut the hordes up with an early goal, and with big Sieb outstanding at the other end we held on for a famous victory.

Tynecastle for the Scottish Cup after O'Donnell died. Probably the biggest travelling support I've been involved in outwith semis/finals. Such an emotionally charged atmosphere that will never be forgotten.

We've been blessed with some outstanding performances since 2007 but a league cup trouncing of Hibs at Easter Road under McGhee really broke the mould. We destroyed them that night with a calibre of free flowing football that was new to us and went on to have a cracking few months.

Ross McCormack was outstanding in both games.

This for me. Still rememeber the joy at tynecastle that day. That win at hibs was the turnaround as a club I believe, been comfortably punching above our weight ever since.

• Like 1

The Fergus McCann game at Parkhead in 1994. Celtic's crowds had been around the 15,000 mark, but they all came out the woodwork for the first game of the new regime. It was supposed to be a celebration, the culmination of a long campaign to sack the old board with McCann heralded as the saviour of Celtic. Instead, Dougie quickly shut the hordes up with an early goal, and with big Sieb outstanding at the other end we held on for a famous victory.

That would be right up there for me, as well as the day Ian Angus equalised there, but "Away Days" for me are the full day/night and I was too young for a bevvy back then!

Excluding the cup win it would probably be my first win at Ibrox. '93 I think when we came back from 1-0 down with two late Dougie goals. Hugging strangers and wild scenes of celebration.

I stayed over at a mates house (Aberdeen fan) who lived in Ibrox and when I told him we won 2-1 he wouldn't believe me.. It wasn't until we got a newspaper the next day that he accepted Motherwell had actually beaten Rangers at Ibrox.

The other one that sticks out is the League Cup semi final against Hearts when Fitz scored in the 120th minute. One of those ones where we have blown a lead, we are taking an absolute pounding and you are just waiting for the inevitable to happen and then within seconds BOOM mad celebrations and the ultimate victory.

Nothing beats football for being propelled from one extreme of emotion to the other.

Believe it or not - any trip to Aberdeen circa late 70's, early 80's (despite the numerous thumpings - on the park). Bus left at 7.00 am, stop of Perth, onto Aberdeen, then leave Aberdeen at Midnight for the trip home. Even had to get a relief driver on one of the trips, came back from the game - to the Welly Boot at the Harbour, to find the driver steaming drinks.gif.

Tynecastle last day of the season May 1982 we had already clinched the Div 1 title. Hearts needed a win to go up as well. A single Willie Irvine goal and Killie winning meant the Jambos were resigned to another year in the second tier. Did not enjoy sprint back to my dads car after the game however!

Was at that game too WP. Got very nasty walking down Gorgie Road after the match!Have to say for me though driving all the way up from Sheffield to Aberdeen to watch us knock the sheep out the cup in 91 was top notch, as was the drinking session that night in Embra..

Was there too. Was mostly interested in seeing who topped the goal charts for us as Irvine and McLaughlin were neck and neck.

Even if we won, I seem to remember that Killie needed to have a 5 goal advantage in their game to pip the Jambos to 2nd. When they announced the half-times, Killie were 5-0 up!

If Hearts had managed to get a draw they would have gone up instead of Killie.

But they didn't.