Stuart Mccall -Manager Of The Year?

David

If we win every game between now and the end of the season 5-0 and we end up galloping away with second spot, he still doesn't deserve it after what happened at New Douglas Park that day.

Or against Aberdeen in the other cup. McCall won't be and shouldn't be anywhere near manager of the year because McInnes, Lennon and depending on how the season ends for Dundee Utd, McNamara are all ahead of him. Aberdeen are a better side than us and already have one cup to their name and they will finish second as they won't drop silly points like we did against Killie or get arse raped against United every time they play them.

McCall and our short fall is as always our inability to get the result or perform when it really matters. We'll do fine against the majority of the dross in the SPFL the majority of the time but show McCall and this team a big game and their arse falls off.

Or against Aberdeen in the other cup. McCall won't be and shouldn't be anywhere near manager of the year because McInnes, Lennon and depending on how the season ends for Dundee Utd, McNamara are all ahead of him. Aberdeen are a better side than us and already have one cup to their name and they will finish second as they won't drop silly points like we did against Killie or get arse raped against United every time they play them.

McCall and our short fall is as always our inability to get the result or perform when it really matters. We'll do fine against the majority of the dross in the SPFL the majority of the time but show McCall and this team a big game and their arse falls off.

Would that be the same Aberdeen that have lost twice to Hearts this season? And are still only two points ahead of our team, who apparently can't deliver when it counts.

Not saying that we haven't bottled it in some big games this season, but there's a tendency on here to class our losses as the "big" games in hindsight, and brush over our successes. We've also succeeded this season in "big" games against Aberdeen on Boxing Day, St Johnstone at New Year, ICT the other night. All matches that were massive at the time against our competitors in the top six. Have we bottled the "big" games more often than not this season? Yes, it's probably fair to say that we have (Albion Rovers, Aberdeen in the cup). But all of them? A bit dramatic I think.

To get back on topic though, I think McCall certainly deserves a mention in the manager of the year discussion. The fact that we're still where we are in the league given the changes this summer and the injury problems we've had is astounding. He's done a fantastic job to get us where we are this season. To dredge up the old debate about resources, we're still seriously over-performing, and a great deal of that is down to Stuart McCall. We've not, however, had as much of an impact in the league as we did last season (or perhaps Celtic have simply performed better, without the European distraction), and I think that was the main reason for his win last year.

It would be a complete cop-out should Neil Lennon win it, despite securing the league title so early. I reckon McInnes will be a shoe-in though, regardless of whether we pip Aberdeen to second or not.

• Like 2

Congratulations on perfectly summarising how out of touch you and a few others are about our club.

For a start, your reference to 'dross' reeks of the smugness and sense of entitlement we only really get from old firm fans and the irony of that, which seems to be lost on you lot, is that you only have this attitude because of the success Mccall has delivered.

As for the suggestion that Lennon should be ahead of Mccall... whit?? The fact is, the gulf in budget between Celtic and Motherwell and the gulf in budget between Motherwell and Albion Rovers is probably a similar ratio. Of course, that doesn't matter because then it's not a stick you can use to beat Mccall with. Unless of course you actually meant Danny Lennon, which wouldn't surprise me given the amount of absolute bollocks you post.

Most worryingly of all, you aren't even the worst.

• Like 1

Congratulations on perfectly summarising how out of touch you and a few others are about our club.

For a start, your reference to 'dross' reeks of the smugness and sense of entitlement we only really get from old firm fans and the irony of that, which seems to be lost on you lot, is that you only have this attitude because of the success Mccall has delivered.

As for the suggestion that Lennon should be ahead of Mccall... whit?? The fact is, the gulf in budget between Celtic and Motherwell and the gulf in budget between Motherwell and Albion Rovers is probably a similar ratio. Of course, that doesn't matter because then it's not a stick you can use to beat Mccall with. Unless of course you actually meant Danny Lennon, which wouldn't surprise me given the amount of absolute bollocks you post.

Most worryingly of all, you aren't even the worst.

Never mind the Old Firm and their fans attitude to other clubs. What's that got to do with us? The standard of the rest of the SPFL is rank rotten and I defy anyone to contradict that. Yes we have done well in the past couple of years to stay ahead of that dross but we have also fell at crucial times especially in cup games. For example, Aberdeen couldn't buy a win against us in the league for four years, had a series of dreadful sides and were part of the 'dross' element of the league while we were a better side. Would it not be a reasonable expectation or at least hope that when we came up against them in the Scottish Cup that we could beat them? Yet in true Motherwell fashion our arises collapsed on both occasions. And that's just one example.

And Neil Lennon IS a stronger contender for manager of the year that Stuart McCall because his side will win the league and have only lost once all season. Never mind the resources at his disposal, that is not how the award is decided upon.

Never mind the resources at his disposal, that is not how the award is decided upon.

So the resources at any one teams disposal is not a factor in deciding manager of the year? Given that this is the single biggest driver in determining a clubs potential success, it seems strange that it should be ignored. I don't have the Manager of the Year rule book in front of me so will have to take your word for it.

McCall's success at Motherwell this season and every season he has been at the club has been outstanding. It has been outstanding because of the resources at his disposal. I have not checked this but I would be surprised if any club outwith Celtic has accumulated more SPL points from the date McCall took over at Motherwell. Factor in resources to this and it becomes a quite incredible statistic.

I don't really agree with a manager of the Year award because it's like asking How long's a piece of string? but I am surprised at anybody suggesting that McCall's achievements are not impressive.

For what it's worth, I think that Derek McInnes has done a great job at Aberdeen as well, if for no other reason than that there have been a good few managers passing through the doors at Pittodrie who have tried and failed to do what he has achieved (two ex well managers amongst them)

Aberdeen are a better side than us and already have one cup to their name and they will finish second as they won't drop silly points like we did against Killie or get arse raped against United every time they play them.

Stuart-McCall-2212888.jpg

Points dropped for a third time this season to bottom of the league Hearts tonight, who were down to ten man.

• Like 2

Personally I'll reserve my judgement of MOTY until the final places are set in stone.

Any other given season and McCall would be lauded across the board for the clubs current position, but I think he's unfortunate in that last year his team were magnificent, whereas this year (in more of the games) he's grinded it out a bit; which is really just a testament to his rebuilding job. But I don't think the contrast does him as a manager any favours wtr to winning awards. This, coupled with the hard on the press seem to have for Aberdeen at the minute might mean he misses out.

For me though, there is no other manager in the SPFL (and none feasibly beyond it) that I would rather have as manager of Motherwell. He's far from perfect, but he's as near as we're likely to get. New contract please! :)

The simple fact of the matter is Stuart McCall isn't really a contender this year.

Regardless of your views on Celtic, you have to acknowledge Celtic's superb form in the league this season. They wrapped up the title dropping only 9 points, set a clean sheets record and at one point won 15 matches in a row. When you consider that the Celtic squad this season was probably weaker than their squad last season and the league in general was stronger than last season that is fairly impressive regardless of the chasm in budgets.

Derek McInnes has undoubtedly turned Aberdeen around this season from perennial disappointments and under achievers to being in the running for the Best of the Rest title. Add to that actual tangible success in the form of a league cup win that in my mind eclipses McCall's achievements.

McCall may have made an very good job of challenging this season after losing so many good players and having to replace them on a reduced budget but if bubbling under on a small budget is the gauge by which to measure managers of the year then perhaps Tommy Wright should be in with a shout?

St. Johnstone have made the Top Six again as well as two semi finals and potentially could still win the Scottish Cup. I don't know what St. Johnstone's budget is but since they attract significantly lower crowds than we do and keep themselves out of debt then I'd suggest it's quite a bit lower than ours. If McCall has a tough job then getting St. Johnstone to where they are at the moment on 2,000 - 2,500 attendances must be even tougher.

If Aberdeen win the double you would have to be pretty biased to say that McInnes did not deserve the award.

If Dundee Utd or St. Johnstone win the Scottish Cup I think both their managers would put themselves in the running depending on various factors. And Neil Lennon will be a contender due to the overwhelming superiority of Celtic in the league this season.

Nah the Albion Rovers cup defeat. The Aberdeen 10 man cup defeat and the way we roll over against Celtic will stop him getting the award. Plus the fact he's signed 2 crap keepers. dry.gif

Manager of the Year is the very least he deserves if he can sign players for Motherwell a full six months before becoming manager. Impressive talent that.

• Like 1

Nah the Albion Rovers cup defeat. The Aberdeen 10 man cup defeat and the way we roll over against Celtic will stop him getting the award. Plus the fact he's signed 2 crap keepers. <_>

On the other hand, suppporters bigging him up like this might just sway the judges.